Pod Your Reef

My 28gal Nano Cube LED

cdr5y7

Hello everyone, wanted to introduce myself on this nano forum. as of 1/10/2010 i started my 28gal Nano-cube LED. This isn't my first saltwater tank. i just traded in and switched my 75gal tank and got this nano.

Right now i have:

-30# live rock

-25# sand

-clownfish

-6 line wrasse

-frogspawn

-gsp

-various different zoas

-small piece of acro

just added the jbj nano-glo for the fuge and put some chaeto in the first chamber also.

future plans are to add some type goby and various other kinds of sps and lps.

Here are a few pics of the tank.(they are from my iphone better ones to come later)

IMG_00781.jpg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
westcoastreefer84

That's a really nice nano you have there. I'm so glad manufacturers are starting to go in the right direction with these AIO tanks.

From one of the pic's it looks like you might have some bio balls in there might be wrong and just seeing things but they can be a problem later on some people dont mind them but they can cause nitate problems down the road and since your tank is new now is the time to take them out and if you don't have any bio-balls then disgaurd this and continue on a really nice tank setup my next tank might be that one want the price to go down to about $699 out the door with the stand which will happen soon when there are alot of AIO LED's out there...But great tank and love the scape nice design whats next for the tank fish and coral wise...???

westcoastreefer84

I'm curious too see the long term growth of sps under those lights. I have seen documented sps growth under led, but nothing long term. Your packing a lot of light under that hood.

I have only been running my LED setup for about a month, but I believe I have seen increased growth. I would attribute it to the longer photoperiod. I'm now running my lights 16 hours a day, appossed to just 8 with the halide. Now my corals stay open all the time. The colors from the blue leds are second to nothing. No t5 or 20k halide can produce the flouresec these leds do.

No bioballs in there. didnt even come with any. no i have chaeto in first chamber and then carbon and ceramic rings in second and third chamber. Ya price is a little high but i was able to trade in my 75 and get a good deal on it all. its crazy that initially they only made 200 of these and talking to the jbj rep here in columbia they are putting any more out there until april or so.

Next is various sps and lps and looking to try and find a nice goby to add to the tank. any recommendations? other than that not much equiptment wise.

i was never able to grow anything other than zoas and shrooms in my last tank so like you said im excited to see how the sps and others do in this tank. the colors and growth it seems like has increase just in the few days iv been running the tank. but i had 265watts on a 75 and now go to the leds on a 28 is a little different. really? 16 hours isnt that a long time, i mean i know daylight in natural habitate is around 11-13 hours. whats your cycle? dusk/dawn then main led then back to dusk and dawn?

The latest deal on MarineDepot is $675

lowered from the original $750

If you go to MD through BingCashBack.com to complete the order, you can get 5% back,

use coupon code: NOCALTAX if you're in California, save $55 tax

( found code here http://www.gogoshopper.com/MarineDepot-cou...CFQwTawodUiTCzg )

not sure if they're trying to sell these first 200 units before the new shipment...

[not sure if i'm allowed to share such info, if not please let me know and I will delete this reply. thought i share this info in case someone is looking to buy the NC28 LED tank]

Hi,

I am also thinking of getting one of these. A few questions:

Is the back wall transparent? It looks like the fuge light just hangs outside and shines through the back glass or plastic, is that true?

Are you using the stock basket to keep algae, carbon, etc?

Is there room for a skimmer? I was interested in the saphire one Skimmer, but had read somewhere that to fit it, you need to take out a chamber from the back. If that is true, then can you have both the media basket and the skimmer? I would like both if possible.

Thanks for the info, you tank looks great so far.

MV

im working on that nick. did find a guy im trying to get a few frags from. yes the back wall in see through or transparent. yes im using the stock basket it has chaeto in first chamber and carbon in the second and ceramic rings in the third. the light is held on by a magnet and fits perfect. yes there is room for a skimmer. there is 5 chamber in the back. the 2 outside ones have the pumps in there and then 2 inner ones. and then the center chamber has the filter basket. but in the 2 inner chambers i have my heater in one and plan on getting a skimmer and putting it in the other chamber. later today ill take a pic of the chamber so you can see what they look like.

later today ill take a pic of the chamber so you can see what they look like.

Please do and try to take the entire back area. I just purchased this tank this morning and would like to know what exactly I have room for. Most likely the fuge as you have done but would also like to squeeze in a Tunze 9002 if that is possible with the fuge in place.

NanoCube28Filtration.jpg

here is a pic i found online. will take one when i get home from work. but its backed up against a wall so ill only be able to take a top view pic.

No bioballs in there. didnt even come with any. no i have chaeto in first chamber and then carbon and ceramic rings in second and third chamber.

Similar in function to bio-balls, nitrate factory. Removal might be best, LR provides plenty of bacterial living space.

so would you recommend putting chaeto in the first 2 chambers and carbon in the last chamber?

and iv been looking at adding a koralia for a little more flow to the middle section of my tank. would you guys/gals recomend a nano or 1? i plan on putting a few acans on the sandbed in the middle and wasnt sure if the k-1 would be too much?

so last night went to LFS and forgot i had a store credit so i decided to pick up my friend below. a pink and blue spotted goby. havent been able to get a good pic of him yet but will soon.

600192B612624080B1E829C60F9BCF20E.jpg

i ran filterfloss then live rock ruble in a media bag then carbon... and then i did the HOB fuge mod with the tunze protien skimmer... worked great .... as for flow just upgrade the return pumps to maxi jets... nothing in the display... unles u wana go mp10....

Thanks for the pics but here is the manual where it's a little clearer. Still does not give me any idia of size though. Anyone know if a Tunze 9002 will fit in compartment # 2 on page 9 of this manual?

http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/28g-Nano-LED-Manual_S.pdf

it will if u remove the magnet but its a super tight fit and the collection cup doesnt sit right which makes it less effect... so u would have to get one of those custom cups to work.... HOBFUGE ftw

i ran filterfloss then live rock ruble in a media bag then carbon... and then i did the HOB fuge mod with the tunze protien skimmer... worked great .... as for flow just upgrade the return pumps to maxi jets... nothing in the display... unles u wana go mp10....

it will if u remove the magnet but its a super tight fit and the collection cup doesnt sit right which makes it less effect... so u would have to get one of those custom cups to work.... HOBFUGE ftw

Hmmm, maybe a 10 gallon tank converted to refugium which would fit in the cabinet with Tunze 9002 would be in order. Would be fairly cheap and easy to build. The actual fuge would be huge in comparison to what is available in the existing media basket and would solve the issue of the skimmer fit and cup problem. Yep, just convinced myself this will be the best route.

nice. i saw one of these in fishworld at the last kcra meeting. my wife loves them. i saw the link to this on salt city. looks good. the goby is pretty sweet. i love the cave in the live rock too. did it come like that or did you create it?

so i know im going to get a lot of different opinions with this question but......

im thinking about getting the jbj protein skimmer. yes i know people say its bad but iv heard people say it works. im not looking to spend 150+ on a skimmer right now. i want something that will do the job. so if you have have experience with the jbj skimmer would you post your experiences. i dont really want to know your opinion of what your friends brothers uncle told you. i want first hand experience. thanks

Ditch the rings. Tunze 9002 will fit in the central chamber but you have to pull the media rack. Move carbon and sponges to chambers 1 and 3 and you will be fine. JBJ skimmer... Look for a used Tunze. Will cost about the same but work allot better than the jbj.

Archived