Coral Vue Hydros

Sublunary's 12 Gallons

sublunary

My first reef tank, started right before I started law school, killed by a power outage and evacuation during Hurricane Irene.

________________________________________________________________________________

The Basics:

12gallon NanoCube DX, CREE LEDs from Nanotuners

MJ 900 return pump

inTank media basket with filter floss, chemipure and cheato with submersible light

11.5 lbs live rock from 3 different LFSs, 10lbs Caribsea Ocean Direct sand

Coralife salt with RO/DI water

Fish:

Archimedes, Perseus, and unnamed #3, the Flaming Prawn Gobies (Discordipinna griessingeri)

Corals/Polyps/Etc:

assorted zoas and palys

purple mushrooms

green striped mushrooms

ricordea yuma

candy cane

purplish favite?

purple and green favia

turbinaria

torch

frogspawn

orange acan

purple photosynthetic gorgonian

seasons greetings montipora

Purchased Inverts:

scarlet cleaner shrimp

Pereclimenes sp. anemone shrimp

2 scarlet hermits

snails - margaritas, ceriths, bumblebees, dwarf planaxis

female Pom Pom Crab

small T. maxima

female porcelain crab

Hitchhiking Inverts:

snails - lots of collonistas, a couple of stomatellas, an army of rissoids

several small bivalves

several chitons (at least 2 different kinds)

1/2 inch unidentified white crabs

Most recent FTS: 4/26/11

P4262392.jpg

Plans for the future:

lock credit cards away so I have to stop buying stuff

raise cleaner shrimp larvae

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that the top post is out of the way; a not so short history of my tank.

This is my first salt water tank. When I was little, I kept a few gold fish (my dentist gave them away as a reward for cavity free checkups), but that's the closest I've come before this. I wanted to start small; I'm in school and don't have my own place yet, so money and space are at a premium.

I bought the tank and stand from an awesome lady who keeps sea horses on Long Island. I thought I might be crazy, driving over an hour to pick up a fish tank I found on Craigs list, but it worked out well. I got a good deal on an almost new tank and a lot of advice.

You probably noticed I don't have much of a 'scape to speak of. I originally toyed with the idea of doing seahorses, for which I would have wanted a more open tank with macros. So I picked out 3 pieces of rock I liked and started with that. Once I decided to put off seahorses, I picked out a few more pieces of rock I liked from a different LFS. Then a few more from a third LFS. This left me with a lot of individually cool pieces of rock that didn't really fit together. It's not as pretty as a lot of 'scapes I've seen, but I like it.

My cycle finished quickly and I added a clean up crew after getting a diatom bloom and an explosion of micro algae. LFS1 sold me 3 margarita snails telling me they were nerites. I'm still a little annoyed at that, but the margaritas are still alive and happy. I also bought 3 blue leg hermits and one of them was torn apart by something a few days later.

In August I ordered some microbrittles and sand bed clams from IPSF. They sent me a free order of "strombus grazers" which immediately started reproducing. I scrape eggs off the glass and powerheads every day and still have hundreds of juvenile snails in the tank.

After that, I ordered 2 peppermint shrimp from Blue Zoo to take care of aiptasia that came in from the rock from LFS1. I also bought 'shroom and zoa frag packs from them. I lost a bunch of zoas to something that looked like zoa pox while I had them in QT, but even after that I had more little colonies than the 4 I paid for, so I really can't complain.

About 2 months ago I found a fourth LFS in the area and bought a really pretty acan frag from them. It did great for the first week, then the heads started receding one by one. Just when I was about to give up all hope, one of the polyps grew back from nothing. I'm not sure if the frag is going to make it, but at least one polyp still looks promising.

My most recent purchase was a pair of flaming prawn gobies from Blue Zoo. Yes, I waited almost 5 months to get fish. Sadly, one of them didn't make it through the trip, and I'm still waiting for a replacement to come in. The second has been in the DT for 2 weeks and looks great. He doesn't seem interested in prepared foods, but I've seen him hunting pods, and I'm going to try hatching some brine shrimp soon, just to see if he's interested.

RIP tiny fishy,

2fishjpg.jpg

(More pics next post)

My best photo of Archimedes in QT. (Yes, I had chaeto in my QT. I wanted pods in there in case he wouldn't eat prepared.)

100_0674.jpg

He really liked to hang out in the top corner of the tank by the heater. This freaked me out the first time I came home and couldn't find him on the bottom.

100_0683.jpg

For the first 2 days in the DT, this was his favorite hiding place. Now he found a darker cave where I can only see his tail most of the time. The damn fish found his way into the back chamber this weekend, so now every time I look at the tank I have to find him to alleviate my paranoia. This is much more difficult with his new hiding spot.

100_0706.jpg

On a sadder note, I lost one of my peppermint shrimp last week. They were a mated pair and hugely entertaining. They were fairly large when I got them, so I assume they're on the older side. I woke up one morning and the larger one was completely white. She was dead the next morning.

100_0787.jpg

Remaining shrimp spent two days just staring at me.

100_0736.jpg

He's back to normal now, running around, eating and poking everything in sight. I've debated getting another one, but I think I'm going to wait until he dies and replace him with a scarlet cleaner.

Good looking tank.

I've got a 12G Nano thats about 3 months old.

I have a question about your pump upgrade? Do you have the MJ900 powerhead or utility pump? I'm looking to upgrade my pump and I'm not sure which will workbest.

Also did you notice any difference in the noise level of the stock pump vs the MJ900?

Thanks.

The MJ900 is the powerhead here. This is the first time I've come across the utility pump, so I'm not sure how it compares with the powerhead.

I put it in so long ago, I don't remember how noisy the stock pump was, but the MJ isn't that loud. There's a low hum, but it's not loud enough to bother me. My biggest noise issue is water trickling into the back. I use the surface skimmer and if I leave it too close to the top the water level in the back chamber drops enough that it gets noisy.

Yay comments!

Thanks, animalmaster. I love him too! I'd have a tank full of these fish if they were easier to get a hold of.

weeber - He comes out every once in a while, but seems to know when I'm looking at him. I'll see him jumping around out of the corner of my eye and by the time I turn my head to look straight at him he's turned around and retreating towards the rocks. I've been squirting cyclopeeze at his cave, but I can't tell if he's eating it or not and I don't want to try too hard to watch him, because then I know he won't eat. I have seen him hunting pods on the back wall where he thinks I can't see him though. It's pretty funny actually. He'll hop up near a group of pods, slowly wave his fins for a few seconds, then whip his head to the side and snatch one off the wall.

Today I was searching around for more flaming prawn goby info (since that's what I do with my free time) and I found a site with pictures of another Discordipinna species. Pictures! I want to be able to buy some of these so badly!

animalmaster6
Yay comments!

Thanks, animalmaster. I love him too! I'd have a tank full of these fish if they were easier to get a hold of.

weeber - He comes out every once in a while, but seems to know when I'm looking at him. I'll see him jumping around out of the corner of my eye and by the time I turn my head to look straight at him he's turned around and retreating towards the rocks. I've been squirting cyclopeeze at his cave, but I can't tell if he's eating it or not and I don't want to try too hard to watch him, because then I know he won't eat. I have seen him hunting pods on the back wall where he thinks I can't see him though. It's pretty funny actually. He'll hop up near a group of pods, slowly wave his fins for a few seconds, then whip his head to the side and snatch one off the wall.

Today I was searching around for more flaming prawn goby info (since that's what I do with my free time) and I found a site with pictures of another Discordipinna species. Pictures! I want to be able to buy some of these so badly!

That other prawn Goby is awesome!

Talking about Prawn Gobies makes me think of District 9 lol

I did some cleaning today and even though the water was a bit too cloudy for a new FTS, I decided to take some other pictures. I'm still learning how to take decent tank pictures. I'm not sure why some of them turn out so blue when I have the daylights on.

When I got my ric, it was attached to a few pieces of rubble. While cleaning I sort of knocked it over and it looks like 2 small pieces of it split off at some point and are growing on one of the rocks. One of them is sort of visible in the pic, but the other is on the bottom side of the rock. I'll have to break the rock to move them and see if the little blobs grow into new polyps. Baby rics would be exciting. Sadly I don't really have any tools to do that at the moment and I'm not too sure what I need...

100_0810.jpg

100_0810-1.jpg

Does anyone know what the deal is with inverts and powerheads? All of mine seem to have some weird fascination with my koralia. My bigger hermit has been hanging out on it for two days straight and there are usually snails all over it. Twice today it started making a scary noise and when I looked over a snail shot out. They actually climbed in while it was on and got flung out. Twice.

100_0833.jpg

Today I finally got a picture of the tiny crab that lives in my front rock. It's not a great one, but it's more than I've been able to get before. He's about half and inch long, light tan or white with some darker brownish spots. I've wanted to get him IDed for months, but I don't want to pull him out. I'm worried if I chase him out of his home, he'll pick a new one out of sight and get into trouble.

100_0829.jpg

Lastly, here's where my fish has been hiding – between the rock and back wall, where it's all shadowy. He stood still just long enough for me to get one blurry pic of him next to a collonista...

100_0847.jpg

Then turned around and hopped out of sight...

100_0848.jpg

sweet pics i wish u best of luck with him and hope u can find another one. how big is he? also the other species u posted i dont think is in the trade.

YET......

I think I had some success this past week with feeding - twice when I fed the tank, the goby came out into the open to investigate. Apparently he's more interested in food in the morning. He's also been out and about more often in general. I'm convinced that the secret to being able to see these guys is giving them a tank with lots of cover and without any bigger fish. Of course he is still afraid of the camera...

:wub:

100_0896.jpg

100_0898.jpg

The little blobs on my Yuma rock are definitely baby rics. The one that was on the bottom of the rock migrated out to the edge, so it's not stuck in the sand any more.

100_0870-1.jpg

This is a bit blurry, but my green striped mushroom has also sprouted a blob that looks like a baby mushroom.

100_0893.jpg

Grr. I had a few more pics I wanted to add, but my SD card is refusing to work. More eventually...

this makes me really excited to get mine because when i went to the lfs to get water, for the pico tank in the pico contest that i plan on having a flaming prawn goby in, that he had a flaming prawn goby in and it was the first one he has ever had and thats not all i asked him how much it was and expected 90-100 dollars but it was only 50!!!!!!!! so long story short i asked him to hold on to it and should be piking it up this weekend if he doesnt loose it. fingerscrossed

good luck with urs. :)

Awesome! $50 is fantastic, I'm jealous! I'm still waiting for one of the LFSs around here to get one in so I can get a second one. Sadly none of the employees I gave my name to had ever heard of the fish before, so I don't hold much hope.

I'll be watching your pico thread - here's hoping yours turns out to be less camera shy than mine!

Awesome! $50 is fantastic, I'm jealous! I'm still waiting for one of the LFSs around here to get one in so I can get a second one. Sadly none of the employees I gave my name to had ever heard of the fish before, so I don't hold much hope.

I'll be watching your pico thread - here's hoping yours turns out to be less camera shy than mine!

bring in a picture of the fish because i have heard the called a bunch of different names like my lfs called it a hi-fin blenny? he did know some of the other names though. also the fish showed good chances of being pretty outgoing because wheni looked at him up close like my face was on the glass he didnt seem to even notice but this might not mean anything.

animalmaster6
bring in a picture of the fish because i have heard the called a bunch of different names like my lfs called it a hi-fin blenny? he did know some of the other names though. also the fish showed good chances of being pretty outgoing because wheni looked at him up close like my face was on the glass he didnt seem to even notice but this might not mean anything.

Odd name for a Flaming Prawn Goby

Sublunary- I really like those mushrooms. I'm a hufe mushroom fan!

Yeah, it is weird they'd call it a blenny. I've come across a bunch of names for them, but that's a new one. I think my favorite is Flame Dragon Goby. Sounds much more majestic than flaming prawn, but then really no one would know what I'm talking about.

Sublunary- I really like those mushrooms. I'm a hufe mushroom fan!

Thanks! This one is my favorite...

100_0657-1.jpg

No idea what kind it is though...

animalmaster6
Yeah, it is weird they'd call it a blenny. I've come across a bunch of names for them, but that's a new one. I think my favorite is Flame Dragon Goby. Sounds much more majestic than flaming prawn, but then really no one would know what I'm talking about.

Thanks! This one is my favorite...

100_0657-1.jpg

No idea what kind it is though...

That's a really cool shroom!

There's a really nice Rhodactis Mushroom Rock at my lfs that is really awesome!!!

It has over 15 mushrooms. I really like my Purple Mushroom Rock.

For the 125G it's going to be a completely mixed reef.Most of the corals I will have will be acros, Candy Canes, Frogspawn, and lots of mushrooms. All my favorite corals!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted yet this month, so i'll throw on a couple of pics.

I'm entirely entertained by the baby yumas. The two I took pictures of before have fully formed tentacles and mouths now. And the parent left a blob on the rock next to it that looks like it will turn into a third. Yay.

100_1063.jpg

The halimeda I had hitchhike in on a zoa frag has pretty much doubled in size. I went to look at it today and there was this weird white fuzzy stuff growing on it. I posted this pic in the ID forum... I hope it's nothing bad. I usually don't worry too much over weird growths, but this one just looks evil.

100_1057-2.jpg

And this is entirely unrelated to reefing, but someone I know has the best job ever and I am jealous. My dream pet (which, yes, is endangered and pretty illegal to own privately...):

100_0969.jpg

Quite a few changes. :)

Before shots:

100_0800.jpg

100_0801.jpg

After:

100_1148.jpg

100_1163.jpg

Friday I bought some frags from OneTimer. Yay for someone close to me finally selling some frags. He's a very cool guy with a really nice tank and I'm really glad I got to chance to deal with him. I came out of it with...

An encrusting acan, bug eye chalice, aussie favia:

QTfavia.jpg

Candy cane with some red palys:

QTcandycane.jpg

and some assorted zoas/palys including Tubbs Blues:

QTzoas.jpg

This all gave me an excuse to do a massive re-scape. I think I'm happy with the way it is now and there are lots more caves and tunnels, which my goby has gone crazy exploring. He still likes the back wall the best though.

wallfish-1.jpg

I didn't get a chance to add the corals to the main tank until about an hour ago. The Tubbs Blues didn't like something in my QT and stopped opening. Hopefully the stronger light (and more consistent water quality) in the display will bring them out more.

The favia, however, decided it was hungry the minute I moved it over.

100_1156.jpg

I had to whap my peppermint shrimp a couple of times already for picking on the favia. I'm hoping he'll learn to keep away. I feel like the shrimp had a big part of destroying my first acan frag and don't want a repeat of that.

For Valentine's Day, my very awesome boyfriend bought me two pom pom crabs. I had originally wanted porcelain crabs, but apparently every LFS in NJ had them last week and just sold them all. I do love the pom poms though.

crabsacclimating.jpg

The larger one is female, the smaller one male. They both had one large and healthy looking anemone and one slightly anemic looking one. They seemed to be fighting when I got them back to my house, but have been ok since. They're nice and active, and the male spends a lot of time relatively out in the open.

100_1143-1.jpg

And lastly, thanks to OneTimer's prompting, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my LED retrofit. So in 3-4 weeks I should have fancy new lights! omgomgomg Chris at naotuners was great to talk to and I'm very excited. I think there's something wrong with the lights I have now - one day I turned them on and I swear they weren't as bright as they had been. It'll be good to have ones I'm more confident in.

My fuge light just died for no apparent reason. Grrrr. So much for going the rest of the month without buying anything for the tank...

Archived