Innovative Marine Aquariums

Full Moon? My coral's laying eggs

miniwhinny

What is it with this full moon stuff lol. All morning my boy horse has been chasing my girl horse all over my front lawn :huh:;) and now my orange torch is spawning. I know you've probably al seen this a zillion times but it's my first and Im a proud momma lol. She's got hundreds of tiny perfectly round white eggs coming from her mouth and when the current blows her around you can see that inside her mouth is FULL of more eggs waiting to come out.

I'm sorry...I'm easily amused I guess but I do want to share for those who haven't see a spawning (which up til now was me lol)

eggs01.jpg

eggs02.jpg

eggs03.jpg

eggs04.jpg

eggs05.jpg

Thats awesome congrats!

I dunno if they have to be fertilized, but if not, you *might* find some baby torches around your tank in a few months!

Oh Weetie, now I'm really excited...with 11,893 posts to your credit - it MUST be rare lol :happydance:

Lol, not necessarily, I might just be some loser dork that talks their head off online. :P

However, I've never run across this before in the 17 yrs or so that I've been reefing.

It's possible that it happens more often in larger Reef Aquariums, but I've never really hung out with that crowd. ;)

When this happens, maybe you should turn off the pumps for like 30 minutes? To let them settle. Just a suggestion, it would be awesome if you had baby torches.

Nemo, I instantly took off the skimmer but left the koralias. I did turn them off but momma torch deflated and it looked like she needed the current to help with the "delivery".

Cheryl, I have one blue moonlight that's on a timer to run from 6.00 am to 10 pm so most of the night there's nothing. But your question got me thinking...we live in the High Desert in an area of Central Oregon where there is no night time light pollution so our nights are crystal clear (well when there's no clouds) I was joking about the full moon but come to think about it - my tank is in the kitchen with a huge skylight above. So in reality my tank is actually on the real moonlight cycle of full to new. There are nights when the tank is almost pitch black and nights when it's almost daylight in there at midnight! Last night was bright enough in my kitchen to see without lights on just from the full moon spilling in. I wonder if that could have anything to do with the corals natural cycles?

Nemo, I instantly took off the skimmer but left the koralias. I did turn them off but momma torch deflated and it looked like she needed the current to help with the "delivery".

Cheryl, I have one blue moonlight that's on a timer to run from 6.00 am to 10 pm so most of the night there's nothing. But your question got me thinking...we live in the High Desert in an area of Central Oregon where there is no night time light pollution so our nights are crystal clear (well when there's no clouds) I was joking about the full moon but come to think about it - my tank is in the kitchen with a huge skylight above. So in reality my tank is actually on the real moonlight cycle of full to new. There are nights when the tank is almost pitch black and nights when it's almost daylight in there at midnight! Last night was bright enough in my kitchen to see without lights on just from the full moon spilling in. I wonder if that could have anything to do with the corals natural cycles?

It's probably likely. The moon controls the ocean tides, so I wouldn't be suprised. This is a big deal!

skimlessinseattle

I think this is very cool! Thanks for sharing your pics too! I get excited by these things as well. I have never witnessed any of my corals spawning, but the first time my banggais spawned I texted every one of my friends with reefs!

I think this is very cool! Thanks for sharing your pics too! I get excited by these things as well. I have never witnessed any of my corals spawning, but the first time my banggais spawned I texted every one of my friends with reefs!

HAHAHHA yup...same here lol. Got 78 photos and some Flip vid of the big event :D I honestly didn't know if it was a common thing or not...I just thought it was excting.

skimlessinseattle
HAHAHHA yup...same here lol. Got 78 photos and some Flip vid of the big event :D I honestly didn't know if it was a common thing or not...I just thought it was excting.

Thats a lot of photos! I didn't manage to get any clear pics of my banggais - I'm not very good with a camera. I did however read the thread on taking pictures so I feel a little more prepared for next time. :D

Well now I realize this isn't an everyday occurrence I'm really excited :D .

I truly believe after reading stuff online that the moon is controlling this....maybe that information will help someone with a better set up than I have.

I'm not doing anything special.

29 gallon AGA

BB (no substrate)

Aqua C Remora skimmer

3 x koralia 1's

(heater)

Temp is 78. SG is 1.23.

I feed RODs original daily and nothing else.

No sump, no dosing, never ever test for anything. Religiously once a week I do a 5 gallon water change. Just buy whatever salt is the cheepest when I'm ready to buy. Water comes right out of the tap (well water with no industry or agriculture above us on the aquifer.

Light is a 150 HQI 14,000k phoenix in a Sunpod. Don't use the blue or white moonlights that come with it. I have a single blue ( I think it's coralife) moonlight that goes off at 10pm and on at 6am.

So I have to find out if orange torches are hermaphrodites or if I need another..and then I have to remove my picassos and my fire shrimp so there's no predators (for next time)

Thanks everyone for sharing my excitement :D

cheryl jordan

Spawning of corals, fish and invert is often influenced by nocturnal lighting and temperature. Check out the Waikiki Aquarium, they have spawning events that happen at the same time each year. Other people try to reproduce the cycles of the moon in their aquariums to initiate spawning, and some have sucess hence the reason why I asked. Still pretty cool for you, see what happens next year. ;)

pics of the horses? :D

Pic taken last summer (they are REALLY hairy right now lol) The taller one on the left is a mare "Twoie" she's approx 30 inches tall (fully grown) and the smaller one on the right is my stallion "Ozymandias" - he's about 28 - 29 inches tall....you can have quite a large herd if you stick with horses only 2 feet tall hahahha.

(and because I just know someone is going to notice..."yes" I did do a photo edit...certain "parts" were in full view :huh:

ozytwoie.jpg

Archived