ReefCleaners.org

Current-USA Sunpaq 12" LED Mod

HumblePie

I thought I would post s recent mod I did to my new Current-USA Sunpaq Dual 2x18W 12" fixture. While it put out decent light for a fixture of its size, it really didn't put out enough light for me to grow the types of corals I really wanted to house. The solution was to salvage some LEDs from another project and mod the hood so that fit nicely inside.

Below are a few shots of the modifications and results. For the full set of pics and build out, make the jump to my blog.

img_7979.jpg

Because of the size of the opening where the LEDs were going to go I had to build a heat sink out of two "L" pieces of aluminum from Home Depot.

img_8018.jpg

img_8023.jpg

Since this design does not have the heat dissipation of regular heat sinks I needed more air movement in the case. I used two 17+ CFM 50mm Rasurbo fans (not pictured) to push enough air to keep the heat sink and LEDs cool enough

img_8027.jpg

img_8028.jpg

img_8036.jpg

img_8043.jpg

img_8045.jpg

And now for the results...

Just the actinic bulb

img_8056.jpg

The actinic and white bulbs

img_8057.jpg

The actinic, white and LEDs. You can;t really tell from the picture but the 4 CREE 3W LEDs nearly doubled the output of my 2x18W bulbs. If I can find a cheap light meter, I'll measure and post the results.

img_8058.jpg

Archived