Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bamato's 70g Scorpion Tank

Bamato

**New FTS, quality sucks, but it works for now... my photo skills will improve**

Updates017.jpg

So I figured I'd start a thread about my new tank, even though it's going to be a while before I get everything together.

Here's some pics so far :)

newtank002.jpg

newtank001.jpg

newtank2.jpg

And the sump I built from a 29g . Refugium on the right, skimmer on the left, return in the middle. I'm very excited, but don't have a skimmer or pump yet :(

newtank1003.jpg

The beginning of my overflow plumbing.

newtank1004.jpg

Thats it for now. It's going to be a predator tank :) Fuzzy lions and anglers and such :)

I'll post more when work progresses, but like I said, it's going to be a slow build due to funds...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my shipment from Foster and Smith today :)

Merry Crimmuh to me :)

newtank3001.jpg

Sump is in place :)

newtank3002.jpg

I T'd off the return line so I can have variable dual output :)

newtank3003.jpg

Thats it for today :)

Seems like an isolated incident.... not even sure if it was user error or not... And it was five years ago... And any power strip has some remote chance of that happening..

Way to remind me of something I try not to think about so much though..... lol

I don't know, I appreciate the concern though, but I'm pretty safe with what I use, (ie GFCI's, and drip loops.)

Water Test!! :)

WaterTest001.jpg

WaterTest002.jpg

WaterTest003.jpg

The Eheim is darn near silent, and will be even more so after I put a pad under it. The water flow is PERFECT with the 1260 :)

I need a few more house clamps though, I ran out of the right size. I used a 5/8 to 3/4 barbed adapter because my 1260 is 5/8" and the return bulkhead is 3/4".

I'm very pleased I decided to modify the return to be a dual output, very nice :)

I'm a little baffled though. The whole point of the Durso as I'm aware was to quite the overflow. It did keep it from making a gargling gaspy noise, but the holes drilled in the bend at the top of the durso let in air, so I have lots of water noise.

newtank1002.jpg

Maybe it will be quieter with saltwater??

We have light!! An Aquactinics TX5!!

2 ATI Aqua Blue Spezials, and 3 ATI Blue Plus lamps :)

Fixture001.jpg

Fixture002.jpg

Fixture003.jpg

Fixture006.jpg

Now I just need more RO/DI to come out of my unit.... lol

let me know how you like that bulb combo :P

Oh and Murry Crimmah to u :happydance:

looks great so far!

The bulb combo is very blue... I may white it out a bit more, as the colors of the fish that will inhabit the tank may look drowned out with so much blue.

Murry Crimmah to you too :)

setup is looking good.

Thanks, it's tough to be patient, but it will pay off when my setup it EXACTLY what I want :)

Get yourself a nice Fiji Purple for that T5 fixture...you won't regret it ;)

I'll have to look into that one. I may take out one of the blue plus lamps and put one of those in their :P

I'm having issues with the overflow gasping lots of air.... I can throttle the valves down on the overflow piping so the water level goes up in the overflow box and prevents this, but then the water level in the return chamber of the sump lowers itself till the pump sucks air. I throttle the valves all the way up and I've got splashing loud bubbles EVERYWHERE.... It sounds like a giant skimmer.

I've got it to a point now where it just sucks a chunk of air every few seconds (sounds like a powerhead too close to the surface of the water) but if I adjust the overflow valves either way the water gushes or starves the pump...

It's damn near impossible to balance this....

Got my skimmer :)

Update001.jpg

Got my sand and a small bit of rock i liked at one of my LFS

Update003.jpg

Drilled a hole in the hood to vent the light fixture better :)

Update002.jpg

Fit like a glove in the sump, everything is dirty from my sandstorm though :( I'll be pulling my pumps apart soon.

Update004.jpg

What do ya think so far? I need about 50lbs more of rock, I have a certain rockscape in mind that I can't have too much rock in there...

Very nice tank, shame what you had to do with it though :(

I spent way too much money this weekend on skimmer/rock/sand/heater.... My wife is supportive, but I know she wants me to slow down a bit. I need lots more base rock and such... :(

Try the Herbie method to silence the overflow and sump. I did it on my oceanic 45 tech and will never setup another sump system without one. You should be able to google it for the instructions.

Update on my rockwork progress :) This sort of represents the look I'm going for... minimalist... Its not done yet, need about 30lbs more of rock. I'm really liking the pillar on the left, but the big clunky rocks don't have me very excited :( I'll probably decorate them with smaller, more pretty pieces.

(and ignore the dying elegance coral on the bottom. It was in my BC14 and was doing fantastic until the last week or two... I didn't want it polluting my 14g, so I just threw it in the 70 to see if maybe my LEDS were torching it. 70 isn't even cycled yet, I just don't have the heart to kill a coral that's not 100% dead yet. I'm really bummed....)

The tank is extremely blue with the lamp setup I have... think a fiji purple would help at all?

RockworkProgress001.jpg

Just the two blue specials (look better)

RockworkProgress002.jpg

RockworkProgress003.jpg

RockworkProgress004.jpg

What do you all think so far :blush:

Thanks! It's actually three pieces.... carefully balanced on each other. It needs gluing though. Its surprising stable as it is though.

I've got to go back to the LFS for more of the stuff before it's gone... but it put a good dent in my wallet already. Stuff is about 8$ per lb... I would love to find this stuff dry to save the money honestly... any ideas?

The bin said fiji, but it looks more like Tucani stuff.. but I'm no rock expert...

I got the overflow silent by putting valves in the lines. I throttle the down and it creates back-pressure. The water flows in stead of crashing around.

And there is about 30lbs of rock in there now.

Archived