Cultivated Reef

Jake42393's 10g AIO

Jake42393

FTS: 1-3-11

DSC05230.jpg

1-18-11

DSC05342.jpg

alright so im going to be starting up a 10g Rimless AIO.

Im going to get a custom made stand and canopy.

and do some DIY LEDs.

special thanks to hcsceo for his AIO Build, just changing it up a little.

hopefully this build goes through, and hopefully you enjoy ;]

PS. i dont have too much money so this will be a pretty slow project as i will be continuing research as i go along. ive had a lot of time to think about this, and will take more time to make sure i do this right ;)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i cut my lexan for the false wall and finished up with de-rimming + siliconing it. tomorrow im going to cut some more lexan in order to make hopefully a media basket. i also still have to flame polish the edges of the lexan. i will take more pictures + post later this week hopefully ;)

thanks for watching!

also.. my plans for this tank are probably going to be Zoanthids + SPS dominated.

as for fish im hoping i can get a pair of baby onyx clowns from Christosclowns ;]

tell me what you think.

LED:

i know evilcc somewhat helped me out on what to get but i dont know specifically..

im not a lighting genius.

heres what he said:

It's certainly not hard to do. Normally for a 10g, you would use 16 LEDs, but considering that you are doing an AIO, 12 should work well. This will also cut down the driver requirements, and save you money. A good setup would be 6 cool whites, 6 royal blues, 2 1000mA dimmable Buckpucks, a 24v power supply (2.2A or greater), and a good heatsink.

can any1 clarify this for me?

im not sure what specific power supply i could use from the internet, i looked around.

and as for a heatsink, since i want this to fit in a canopy, the sizing of less than 20" wide and 10" depth would be nice.

sorry im so clueless..

i read up on the LED Guide but i probably forgot what it stated in less than 10 minutes.

:unsure:

can any1 clarify this for me?

"LEDs:

Cree - ETG Tech, LED Supply

Luxeon - Future Electronics, Luxeon Star

Drivers:

Buckpucks - LED Supply, Luxeon Star

Meanwell - Powergate

Heat Sinks:

HeatsinkUSA, ebay

- or -

You could use individual ones placed on an aluminum frame.

Power Supplies:

MPJA, ebay"

list courtesy of evilc66

***update: I've added links to some of the more popular items

alright so would this be a good list?

3023-D-E-1000PmA Wired BuckPuck x2

White Cree Q5 XR-E Star x6

Royal Blue Cree XR-E Star x6

24V 2.5A 60W Powersupply

what type of heatsink would be best if everything goes in a canopy if i would like to keep it somewhat thin?

Canopy dimensions around 18" wide by 10 inches depth?

dont forget, its going to be an all in one tank and the canopy will be going over the filter part. so subtract 4 inches from the width?

alright so would this be a good list?

3023-D-E-1000PmA Wired BuckPuck x2

White Cree Q5 XR-E Star x6

Royal Blue Cree XR-E Star x6

24V 2.5A 60W Powersupply

what type of heatsink would be best if everything goes in a canopy if i would like to keep it somewhat thin?

Canopy dimensions around 18" wide by 10 inches depth?

dont forget, its going to be an all in one tank and the canopy will be going over the filter part. so subtract 4 inches from the width?

I would run your list by evil, he can also give you some tips specific to your setup.

As far as the heat sink goes - I would check with heat sinks USA, if their prices aren't feasible then try something like this:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2220530

omg update! yay finally.

de-rimmed, and fully siliconed.

IMG_0994.jpg

plexiglass whatever it is, cut.

IMG_0993.jpg

and then superglued

IMG_0995.jpg

and siliconed to the tank!

IMG_0997.jpg

its making me really excited ;)

coming along very nicely. Keep up the good work! This is why slow and steady is the preffered method! Nothing wrong with taking your time and doing it right.

Did you re-silicone it just to ease your nerves? I just took off the top trim of the same tank. Setting it up for a friend and decided to go rimless but i never added silicone, it seems fine to me. Filling it up was scary though, I felt like IT wanted to blow up, but everything turned out fine. Wish i threw in the little bit of effort to make it an AIO but ill save the skill for my own tank ;)

Ill be following along, building tanks is super fun hahah

i leak tested it and it leaked a little. so i siliconed it up.

the silicone job looked terrible so i scraped it all out with the help of my brother and re-siliconed it.

estreetplastics.com

^^

i dont know if its lexan anymore, thought i bought lexan but it might be just plexi, haha so confused..

either way, it works.

estreetplastics.com

^^

i dont know if its lexan anymore, thought i bought lexan but it might be just plexi, haha so confused..

either way, it works.

It's acrylic. I can tell by the paper.

if its lexan then its extruded acrylic, the type you dont want for tank building.

you might get away with it as a false wall, hopefully someone that knows acrylic more than I do will chime in.

All I know is that I would rather get cell cast and not use extruded at all regardless of application.

Thank you

I officially leak tested It one last time today.. it works good..

All I need now is my powerhead that I'm waiting for in the mail, and a bulkhead along with a little bit of tubing to join the two.

There's not much for me to do but think about livestock and lighting...

If I haven't said it yet... I want this tank to house two baby onyx clowns and

whatever else comes in the future will make me happy... But

that's what this was mainly built for.

I will probably base this tank off of zoanthids, and ricordeas dominating on the lower part of the tank and sps on top.

The lighting will hopefully be LED DIY but Im wondering if 12 LEDs is enough

(6 royal blues + 6 whites )

Archived