Coral Vue Hydros

Bonsai's [In-Closet] Frag Tank

Bonsai

bonsai-header.png

Heavily influenced by Calvin415's closet-tank build, I've decided to started my own. I'm using a closet located in my basement office that will be perfect for a tucked away, minimal upkeep frag tank. I have several colonies of Zoanthids and Palythoa in my BC29 in my living room, and my BC8 at work that are begging to be fragged :)

This is a bit of an exciting venture for me, because it is my first tank to use a sump, and I was able to work out a deal with Advance Acrylic to have a custom frag tank built with the dimensions I needed.

bonsai-fullspecs.png

Current FTS - Jan 30th, 2010

ft-latejanfts.jpg

After un-boxing the package, and dropping in a sheet of black eggcrate

fragtank02.jpg

Frag tank and sump on a simple stand I made from Pine 1x4's (I wish I could hide the screws...)

fragcloset02.jpg

Top-down shot of the tank installed on the stand

fragcloset01.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tank is going to rock. I like the dimensions and the tank itself looks nice. I wish the stickers would go on the side though...

Thanks for all the nice comments - I'm very excited about this project.

The closet currently doesn't have doors, I never installed bi-fold doors when I built the closet three years ago because there is a pipe that prevents it from being 80" tall ... so it's only 76" tall ... which means I have to buy solid-core doors and chop them down to size.

I bet that tank will be tempting to take outta the closet..

Indeed - but the reason the tank is in a closet in the first place is two-fold: Children and Cat. I have two little kids, so an open-top tank out in the middle of a room, especially with a sump, is a no-no. And second, I don't want my cat fishing zoa frags out of the tank for a fatal lunch.

Stay tuned! Hopefully I can get these doors together, and once they're installed, it's time to add water and live rock (to the sump).

those lights are awful high, arent they?

They're about 11" from what will be the water surface. They're hung though, so it's easy to make adjustments if needed once the system is running.

Some colonies soon to be fragged for the new tank:

Purple Death Palythoa

bc29-purpledeath.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoanthids

bc29-rde.jpg

Nuclear Green Palythoa

bc29-nucleargreen.jpg

Armor of God(ish) Palythoa

bc29-aog.jpg

Bam Bam Zoanthids

bc29-bambams.jpg

Kedd's Red(ish) Zoanthids

bc29-kedds.jpg

My Monster Zoa Rock

bc29-zoarock.jpg

Nice!

You'll have to keep an eye on detritus collecting below the black eggcrate though.

Will you have LR in the sump?

I have a Koralia 1 in the frag tank, and I'll have LR in the sump :)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: this tank is now live and running. I've cut a dozen or so frags off the zoas previously listed in this thread - hopefully I'll get to snap some photos tonight. I borrowed my friend's Photo Box to experiment with.

Stay tuned.

Photo Update

FTS with Newly Added Mangroves

fragtank-fts.jpg

Freshly Cut Frags

fragtank-firstfrags.jpg

Small Colony of Japanese Zoas

fragtank-japzoas.jpg

Mother Colony of Bam Bams (bad coloration in this photo)

fragtank-bambam-colony.jpg

Mother Colony of Fire & Ice Zoas

fragtank-fireice-colony.jpg

Archived