Top Shelf Aquatics

When you get bored.........

Vancouver Reefer

Vancouver Reefer

...... do you ever find yourself getting into something and then you get told off by the good lady because you have been sat at a computer for 7 hours!!!!!

I did just that and decided to CAD out my new 60 Gal rimless tank and setup im going to build. Have a look and let me know if you can see any improvements i could make.

Cube and DIY Stand:

4116300198_0ae56d8d4e_o.jpg

Herbie drains and 1" SQWD return:

4115531975_49c4fa467e_o.jpg

Aquarium upstairs, sump downstairs in the 'Man Cave':

4115531921_635f301649_o.jpg

Sump, Frag Tank and Salt mix reservoir:

4116300090_45e0292894_o.jpg

Sump is middle return style, Skimmer on right, fuge on left:

4115531833_d374e68294_o.jpg

Manifold style return:

4116299956_a7d0f5ff49_o.jpg

Let me know what you think!!

VR

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vancouver Reefer

Google Sketch-up. Have a look at the tutorial videos and then have a play. It takes abit of getting used to it but once you get the hang of it its wicked!!!! Next, im trying to get it rendered so it looks like a photo.

THATS ####ING AWESOME!!!!! OGMGOMGOMOGMOMG I WISHH I COULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!!

you deff deserved to spend the whole 7 hours on your comp.. and a little bit more to produce that thing of BEAUTYY. do you have any of that set up yet??? thats going to be an awesome build to watch!!

good luck with everything man

Vancouver.... That's badass.... Glass looks a little thick in places, but I like the overall setup.

Is there a specific reason you're keeping the scwd recirculation system inside the tank rather than outside?

well thought out, you have drawn what i have been planning in my head for a long time minus the 2 story situation. one thing to consider is what are you going to frag since zoas and sps have diffrent needs that would dictate where in your system the frag tank is. just a thought

Vancouver Reefer

The system being on 2 levels is not going to be a problem. I maintain many high end systems on split levels and the fact that my Aquatroller will have it all automated will mean i can do everything i need from either level.

As for the SQWD i placed it in the back as its submersible and i hat seeing equipment in the display. I put it on unions for easy removal for cleaning and modifying!!!

The glass is a little thick in places. I just kept it to 1/2" for ease for drawing.

As for the frag tank, this is just a first thought. My aim is to have an SPS dominated tank and ill adjust my frag tanks and system to suit further down the line once i look into fragging alot deeper. I also left a valve at the far left of the manifold for system expansion etc.

Vancouver Reefer

Serously im not. Ive spent the last 2 days figuring out google skethup and then i knew it could be rendered so i did some googling, downloaded a program, opened up my drawing into it, zoomed into the bits i wanted to see and hit 'Render'.

I have a good knack of picking up how things work. I just got to learn how to make a nice internet interface for my Aquatroller.

Awesome drawings, love the rendered look.

One concern, you might consider legs in the middle of your sump stand, to keep it from sagging.

Vancouver Reefer

Ok so a change of plan. Im going away from the SQWD idea and will be using an OM of some sort. Either build my own or buy one. So i have 2 designs to pick from for tank layout:

Option1:

Rear overflow box, im concerned about the depth of the box not being enough and getting a gurgling sound from my herbie???

4119453030_1cceff66ae_o.jpg

Option2:

Centre overflow:

4119452994_918081cdff_o.jpg

Which one would you pick based on cost to manufacture, ease of maintenance and also asthetics ( My main concern!, I hate seeing equipment etc, even outside of the tank ).

Any help would be much appreciated

VR

I would go with an external, no questions asked. I have a 40G cube right now with a center internal overflow and can not wait to get a new tank early next year with an external.

Software just blows me away with what it can do now-a-days!!!

VR

:eek: That is some amazing work with google's sketch up.... I am still trying to get the hang of it.

Vancouver Reefer

Ok so after lots of great input from many people here is what ive come up with for the final design:

4130324496_141892eb11_o.jpg

The Tank:

1.5" return from sump, splits at the TEE into 1" to go into the top of the tank. 2 elbows direct the water toward the base to start the rotation of the water.

3/4" closed loop system utilising a 2 way Oceans Motion. It draws water from just under the overflow, through the OM and then directs the water acorss the sand bed from back to front to keep detritus from settling on the bed and send it up towards the overflow.

Herbie style overflow

4130324520_4714c1f355_o.jpg

The Sump:

Central return with skimmer section and fuge on either side. Drains placed side by side for more room for a skimmer and addition of a filter sock.

Return manifold feeding frag tank with expansion for future additions.

4129559477_363f5b2278_o.jpg

The program im using to render the drawings is called Hypershot. I downloaded a trial copy and when the render was done i just hit the screen print key and then copied into Picasa.

Let me know what you think!!

VR

Archived