inTank Media Baskets

new nano cube 6g any setup tips?

mxpro32

Hey guys. I just got a nano cube 6g and I'm wondering if there are any obvious mods I need to make. Also, what is the best use of the chambers in the back? I am going with 2 18w full actinic bulbs and 6 white cree leds. I was going to do the standard white/blue leds, but I didn't like how the shimmer looked with both blue and white point source shimmering. So, anyone have any cool mods or setup advice?

I did some searches, but can't find much info on here about the nc 6g. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is there a skimmer that works with the 6g?

I have the 12 - so I can give some thoughts from that perspective. If you are planning on doing some changes to the lighting, you should consider going all LED instead of the PC and LED. Less heat transferred to the tank. As far as the back chambers, ditch the bio balls, ceramic rings and sponges. In mine:

1 - overflow - filter floss, chemipure elite

2 - Cheato (modded the back with a 13 watt CFL)

3 - heater and return pump

For me the nano cube is great except for the heat. If I were not switching to a 20 long next week, I would be going with the LEDs.

Enjoy - throw up some pics when you get a chance.

Thanks for the setup tips. I think thats how I will set it up even though my chaeto chamber will be pretty small. I was also thinking of putting an air stone in one of the chambers to keep the dissolved o2 level and the ph up. I have the blue leds, I'm just not fond of the blue shadows and blue ripples they make. I wonder if I could put them behind some sort of light diffuser. I'll get some pictures posted when Everything is set up.

P.S. I just saw that you are from Porterville. I was born there and now live in Tulare. A bunch of my family still live there.

I just got an NC6 also. Here are my plans.

Custom 1 level tray on chamber 1 for filter floss.

Place bag of chemi pure under it . Going through the under flow.

Chamber 2

some type of submersible light

Chaeto

Chamber 3

Heater and more filter floss

My nc 6 seems like a really nice tank, I don't know why you don't see many of them on here. Out of curiousity, why are you going to use a submersible light for the chaeto?

My nc 6 seems like a really nice tank, I don't know why you don't see many of them on here. Out of curiousity, why are you going to use a submersible light for the chaeto?

I agree the NC6 is a really nice looking little tank. I guess people want a bigger tank for more fish stock options. Here is the link of the light that I ordered.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-5W...82.qscstrfrnt02

I just received my Nanao koralia. hopefully not too strong for the itty bitty tank. Gotta check my params today hopefully I just go through a soft cycle since I got the live rock and live sand and 20% of cycled water from my LFS thats been running (cycling) through their big system lol.

The flow seems perfect. Here is a pic.

photo.jpg

Also added a really small fan on the hood because I hear that these tanks get pretty hot specially that I am running 3x18W bulbs.

photo2.jpg

;)

Cool. I'm going to have to get one of those koralias. I'm planning to run 2x18w actinics and 6 white leds, so we'll see if I have a heat problem. I might try to replace the two hood fans with higher flow versions. I'm trying to avoid mounting a fan pointed at the water because evap will be so fast.

I heard that Saphire Nano Skimmer NC12 will fit in our chamber 2 with little mod. I'm trying to search into this more and trying to find pics but no luck. I planning to stock 1 clown fish in the future and wonder if its worth it for the money and trouble to try to install a skimmer...

I think skimmers can be worthwhile if for nothing more than increasing the dissolved oxygen and raising the ph. Plus its good insurance. what are the dimensions of that skimmer?

It measures 2.25"x3"x7"; including the collection cup at its maximum height and the pump it stands at 9.5"

its $105.95 at nano tuners. I'm itching to get it actually (I'm an impulse buyer :lol: ) but I need to see a pic of it in the chamber or at least hear from someone that used it in a NC6 for me to buy it...

Help anyone with the NC6 skimmer??? :mellow:

It measures 2.25"x3"x7"; including the collection cup at its maximum height and the pump it stands at 9.5"

its $105.95 at nano tuners. I'm itching to get it actually (I'm an impulse buyer :lol: ) but I need to see a pic of it in the chamber or at least hear from someone that used it in a NC6 for me to buy it...

Help anyone with the NC6 skimmer??? :mellow:

Give the guys at Nanotuners a call, I imagine one of those guys could tell you, and if he didn't know for sure, I bet he could go in back and try one to see if it fits and get back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started an NC6, one upgrade I made instead of the in tank koralia was to upgrade the main pump to a Hydor Pico Evolution Mini Pump 800(200gph). I've got tons of water flow now and there is a lot of adjustment levels in case the water flow is too much.

I still need to upgrade my lighting... looks like you're doing pretty good in that category.

The flow seems perfect. Here is a pic.

photo.jpg

Is that a Rotating Water Deflector by Hydor in there? I was looking at getting one of those, how do you like the direction of flow, is it better than the duck bill?

I just started an NC6, one upgrade I made instead of the in tank koralia was to upgrade the main pump to a Hydor Pico Evolution Mini Pump 800(200gph). I've got tons of water flow now and there is a lot of adjustment levels in case the water flow is too much.

I still need to upgrade my lighting... looks like you're doing pretty good in that category.

Is that a Rotating Water Deflector by Hydor in there? I was looking at getting one of those, how do you like the direction of flow, is it better than the duck bill?

The rotating deflector is great because it will give your water random flow and also when it points up it agitates the water surface which is good. I took off the nano K for now because my frogspawn does not like too much flow but will put it back when I get timer for it.

Back chamber setup

chamber 1 - custome media rack 1st level is filter floss, bottom level is chaeto with 5w submersible light.

Chamber 2 - Oceanin Biocube skimmer

Chamber 3 - Chemipure elite and 50W stealth heater.

Updated pictures is below (1month tank) Moved everything from my 2.5g pico tank and added some more.

untitled-3.jpg

Archived