Top Shelf Aquatics

SoCal's 20H EssPeeEss Reef

Arkayology

Equipment:

20H AGA w/ Black Stand

SLS Reef Optix III Plus HQI Pendent with 250w Galaxy E Ballast and 250w 14k Phoenix Bulb

Vortech ES mp10

200w Aqueon Heater

AC70, fuge modded with HD 60 watt bulb and some cheato

AquaC Remora w/ MJ1200

JBJ ATO w/ Tom Aqualifter

B-Ionic Two Part Dosing

GFO and Carbon in the HOB fuge

20lbs Fiji LR

20lbs LS

Feeding PE Mysis, Spectrum Pellets, Roti-Feast, Rod's Food and Cyclop-eeze.

Livestock:

Fish:

x1 Flagtail Goby (Amblyeleotris yanoi)

x1 True Percula Clown (Amphiprion percula)

x1 Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella sp.)

Inverts

x1 Porcelain Crab

x1 Cleaner Shrimp

x1 Crocea Clam

x1 BTA

and the CUC...

Corals:

too many to name...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great looking tank! I was in the process of planning a 20H saltwater SPS till my mom got me a BC14 and i was not allowed to have anymore tanks for now. Looks great though some sps up high and lps will sure be beautiful!

Thanks!

I love your set-up, just remember to take it slow and test frequently. Also the Tek fixtures are great you will be glad you chose the pricier light when you see your corals growing like weeds :P

Thanks!

I love your set-up, just remember to take it slow and test frequently. Also the Tek fixtures are great you will be glad you chose the pricier light when you see your corals growing like weeds :P

I am not sure when my cycle is going to start/if I will get one. I have pre-cured LR from a local and I used filtered sea water for my fill up. I have been testing twice a day and all my params are zero, I am getting a small amount of macro algae and starting to see some small patches of green algae. I am not sure what is going on.

Can someone shed some light on this? Either way, I wont be adding a CUC for a week or so

I would do the shrimp cycle. Put raw shrimp in clean sock, place sock in tank, let sit for 2 weeks if you testing 0 then your good. Also if you dont trust your readings you can alway put a snail in there and if it survives your done cycling :P

Ok, I just got my first additions to my tank! A Coral Banded Shrimp and 2 Margarita Snails. I hope that the CBS is doing ok, I floated him adding 1/4 cup tank water for an hour. He is very reclusive and I don't know if he is eating or not. There are no fish in the tank yet so he isn't getting their scraps. I dropped some small fish food pellets near him and I don't think he got them. Will he get better or is he eating stuff off my rocks?

Here he is:

post-47700-1258947864_thumb.jpg

I just looked over at my tank and saw my shrimp floating around!! I looked closer and noticed that he was still hiding behind the rocks. I wasn't expecting him to molt so soon. Scared me lol.

Ha hahahahaha! I laugh because I know that feeling very well. I flipped out when my cleaner did it the first time. Thought I killed it. then I saw "another" one and thought it multiplied.

Your rockwork is epic! I love that look.

Thanks for the compliment latteslave. I worked for awhile on the rock work. It turned out nice I think.

I just picked up another margarita snail today and an emerald crab. Little bitty guy. I will get some more pics up when I get my magfloat in the mail and can clean my glass.

I thought I had a dinoflagellate outbreak but I have since been advised it is just part of my new tank,

Here is a pic of my hitchhiker zoas. I hope they re-color soon.

post-47700-1259130980_thumb.jpg

Nothing has really changed so far. The CBS and the Emerald Crab only move around when lights are out. I lost a Margarita Snail (It was far in it's shell for awhile, then seemed like it had problems readjusting itself and became very slow and lethargic). I get paid in a week and plan on adding a few easy corals to start my tank off. I am thinking about trying to find some pulsing xenias, some cool looking shrooms or maybe an acan or something. We shall see.

No fish for another couple of weeks yet. Getting a Maroon Clown or a True Perc is the plan.

I will add pictures when there is something interesting going on other then my inverts picking at stuff and my diatoms growing all over and making me mad :( I hope the diatoms go away soon as I really hate them. They are growing very long and stringy and even growing on the bases of my zoas. grrr

I would look at beefing up the CUC... Sounds like you are down to the 2 snails, 1 shrimp and 1 crab? I am not the expert by any means - maybe look at getting 7 nerite or astrea sanils, 7 nassarrius (i know that's not spelled right) and if you like them - a couple of scarlet reef hermits.

I have to bump mine up as well - never fun when you have the uglies in the tank.

Ya, I only have the 4 inverts in my tank atm. I am thinking about getting a couple hermits maybe. I don't have a lot of green algae growth in the tank yet so I am holding off on more snails as my x2 margaritas already seem sluggish and inactive. I just need something to keep eat the diatoms.

Taking things slow... though I am going to look into getting some coral in a week :)

I ditched the bicolor for a false perc because I read that they can be aggressive to shrimp and other fish. I didn't want to come home and find my CBS in two or more pieces. :)

I had to take everything out of the tank... and the thing was inside one of my rocks. I caught it... then while I was putting all my inverts and rocks back into the tank, IT GOT OUT OF THE NET!!! So I took everything out again... Never again will I get one of those.

I am wondering what my clown is doing though. He likes to hang out in the top left corner of the tank and doesn't move around a lot. He is eating well, so I am thinking it is just new tank syndrome... I hope. I really want him to do well. Well, here he is.

@ Latte, do clowns do this from time to time? I don't know what there normal behavior is.

post-47700-1259042837_thumb.jpg

I would not worry yet, especially if he is eating. Good looking perc - guessing he is still pretty small... the black looks to be still coming in. Give it a couple of days... Mine took a few days and now it's the most personable fish I have. Comes right up and bites my hand if I get into the tank for anything. Mine also like to play in the flow from the powerheads.

You should be in good shape, enjoy this one for a while. What other plans do you have for fish?

I would not worry yet, especially if he is eating. Good looking perc - guessing he is still pretty small... the black looks to be still coming in. Give it a couple of days... Mine took a few days and now it's the most personable fish I have. Comes right up and bites my hand if I get into the tank for anything. Mine also like to play in the flow from the powerheads.

You should be in good shape, enjoy this one for a while. What other plans do you have for fish?

Ya, he is a really nice perc, about an inch and a quarter in size.

I am thinking about getting some sort of Gobi, maybe a Yellow Watchmen. I only want to have two or three fish in the tank. In a week or so I am planning on getting some frags to get my coral on. I am looking for some yellow polyps, GSP, some blue/black zoas, monti cap, some acros and something for my clown to host (hammer, bubble coral?) Starting off with the easy ones first and then moving to harder ones.

I just hope the clown starts exploring. I have read that many clowns hang out at the top of the tank, maybe for multiple reasons. At least I know it is not just my tank being ill suited to the fish.

I'm really curious to see how your clown does. My black and white clowns are about a month in the tank and they still "host" the powerheads. They're getting more and more curious each day and even eat flakes from my hand... but still it worries me that they don't explore more. Good luck SoCalDude.

Too bad we do not live a little closer - I have yellow colony polyps I need to frag, some zoa and my Yuma has 3 babies that are getting half dollar size. Of course I do get out to SB every couple of months or so... hmmmm - possibilities.

Funny enough, I have a real nice frogspawn and my clown decided to host my Green Hairy Mushrooms (you oughta see the mushrooms in person - THEY ARE HUGE)

I would venture to say you will see more exploring as you add some things to the tank.

If you make it down to SB sometime in the near future, you should totally let me know and we can meet up. I would love to buy some cheap frags from you. Also, I noticed in your FTS that your shrooms are very large. You have some really nice corals.

Archived