ReefCleaners.org

PaulEs 12gallon AP Dosing question!

PaulE915

post-47845-1284701124_thumb.jpg

post-47845-1284701041_thumb.jpg

Okay so some things in my tank and life have changed since i last updated my post...Since december i havent done much to my tank... ill post pics soon.

the tank has been up since november... and has changed quite a bit

12gallon aquapod

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take the tank and fill in the middle and lower intake grates. This will greatly improve the surface skimming.

Throw out the carbon and bio rings. If your gonna use the sponge clean it every few days.

Then mix water as you should. Add sand, rock and then water. Turn on pump, wait for water to clear....Then the cycle will begin.

HTH

Take the tank and fill in the middle and lower intake grates. This will greatly improve the surface skimming.

Throw out the carbon and bio rings. If your gonna use the sponge clean it every few days.

Then mix water as you should. Add sand, rock and then water. Turn on pump, wait for water to clear....Then the cycle will begin.

HTH

Thank you for the advice, but at the risk of sounded stupid, what do i use to fill in the middle and lower intake grates?

Thank you for the advice, but at the risk of sounded stupid, what do i use to fill in the middle and lower intake grates?

And I havent purchased live rock yet, should I wait until tomorrow when i can get the rock before i put th sand and water?

I used black aquarium silicone. Worked like a charm. Oh oh. You will need to seal the upper trim around the corners. DO THIS B4 YOU ADD WATER. These tanks are known to leak at those points. I am sure if you stick you head in the inside you'll see little or no silicone in there. You need to wait until you cannot smell the silicone b4 your add any water. That way you will be sure that its cured.

Most folks put in the rock and sand at the same time. But if your gonna mod this tank via silicone you need to wait on the rock as is. You always need to wet test any tank with regular water b4 your start to fill it up with the good stuff.

I used black aquarium silicone. Worked like a charm. Oh oh. You will need to seal the upper trim around the corners. DO THIS B4 YOU ADD WATER. These tanks are known to leak at those points. I am sure if you stick you head in the inside you'll see little or no silicone in there. You need to wait until you cannot smell the silicone b4 your add any water. That way you will be sure that its cured.

Most folks put in the rock and sand at the same time. But if your gonna mod this tank via silicone you need to wait on the rock as is. You always need to wet test any tank with regular water b4 your start to fill it up with the good stuff.

Okay great! I will have to wait til tomorrow to do that. i was reading the post you had about starting up one of these and it motivated the purchase for me. I had been interested in a tank and after reading i was compelled to go out and purchase. I appreciate the help thank you

Any time. I am glad that I can help. If you have any questions pm me or post in this or my thread. One other great addition esp being that your in hot ole TX is a Maxi Jet 900. They really move more water and at a much cooler temp.

Good deal. Did you remember to look at the inside top corners and see if more silicone needed to be added to that seam?

Need pitchers or it didnt happen.

I will def post pics tuesday as soon as the LR is in!

Also, i looked into the corners and decided that extra silicone is better than not enough, so i reinforced what was there..tonight i will be setting it and running tap water through everything to leak and flow test it. in the mean time im gonna gather the turkey baster, digital thermometer, heater(had my eye on a stealth mini that wont shatter cuz its plastic), and water test kit... also i picked up a dual outlet digital timer for the lighting system..not sure if i need it, but figured if im gonna do this i wont do it cheap.

local here in El Paso at a place called the coral reef...

more than likely i will be acquiring everything locally. I am not a fan of online purchases..if i must order something ill prolly order through a LFS...can always haggle with locals and do business trade-outs lol :P

So i did the leak test, everything turned out fine, I also decided to cycle the lights and run the pump to get a feel for what temp the tank will operate at..during the day i had a high of 82.3 and in the morning it was at 76.2 so i guess i def need to get myself the heater, will do so today and the LR will be in tomorrow... I am already addicted to this!

:slap:

wont be able to find time to make it to the LFS til thursday.. sucks. in the meantime i had to re-silicone the intake grates.fingers dont work nearly as well as a razor blade..glad i did so..looks much better..

• 4 weeks later...

So the tank has been cycling for 10 days, i came home from work today, and I have the Diatom bloom..or so i think its brown fuzzy stuff..I'll take a water sample by the LFS tuesday, and if parameters are good, I purchase my CUC!!! IM STOKED

I stopped by a new LFS on my lunch hour to pick up some hermits and snails... got a couple blue legged hermits, a few cerith snails, and a nas...i also got 3 astreas, but i tthink theyre just empty shells...the LFS only charged me 4 bucks... so yea not a big deal if the astreas are vacant

the Hermits immediately went to town... freakin cool little guys

love new projects :)

yes, this is my first time reefing! im having fun so far.. i gave up chinchilla for this hobby... its a nice break from the other hobbies in my life... in fact its the least deadliest i hope...

Well, this site has a ton of good info. You're in good hands here.

I am starting to notice that!!

eventually i will get around to becoming a paid member of this site...

:happydance:

It would be even more wickedly awesome if i were to acquire a starter frag of some sort! LOL... lets see, i can trade a smile, or even an Mp3 player... fingerscrossed

got a few lbs of LR today, added them to the tank, about to do about a 3 gallon change and gonna re-scape the tank...also picked up a couple red legged hermits, and a couple nass snails...willl throw new pics in a bit

one of the new rocks...i like the coral stuff on it!

post-47845-1258615116_thumb.jpg

Full tank shot, like the new scaping?

post-47845-1258615149_thumb.jpg

another one..

post-47845-1258615162_thumb.jpg

Did a water change and siphoned alotta crap off the sand....water is still clearing up

Archived