ReefCleaners.org

My LED experience

shmoopy

Here are a few pics of my LED build. Thanks to everyone at nano-reef, I just followed in your footsteps. I apologize up front for the lackluster pictures ive never used anything but the auto mode on my camera and im still experimenting.

FTS 9/29/10

IMG_4598.jpg

FTS pic 12/09

IMG_2731.jpg

Stock PCs

CannonFodder420.jpg

LED retro, poor photos

CannonFodder485.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

Wish i could do my zoas and ricordias justice but my photo skills are not even close

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

components from ledsupply

CannonFodder435.jpg

Power Supplies

CannonFodder440.jpg

Heatsink usa 7.3X11, fits into hood with minor cutting. Lots of holes for repositioning and future addon of 6 more LEDS, RB W and UV

CannonFodder443.jpg

Brackets i made from scrap sheet metal, crude but effective

CannonFodder436.jpg

PS to Bucks improvised

CannonFodder460.jpg

Test Run

CannonFodder457.jpg

Switch assembly, bucks on the main heatsink

CannonFodder471.jpg

All wired

CannonFodder474.jpg

It all fits but it is snug to say the least, notice the stock moonlights

CannonFodder480.jpg

Blinding, i saw green spots for hours, wear sunglasses imo

CannonFodder476.jpg

I am very pleased with the result and owe it 100% to all the posts here on nano-reef, 10-15 hours mostly spent drilling, $200-$250 dollars but i had all the components except the leds, heatsinks and buckpucks. I am planning to add 6 more LEDs in time and plan to make this a zoa and sps show tank. The tank is 3 weeks along in the latest photo and i am haveing alot of fun having been out of the hobby for about 6 years. My last tank was a 250g natural reef and i had to give it up because of having to move so much. My wife got me this for my birthday at the first of september and i am excited to fine tune it and make it a piece of art. I have a ton more photos if anyone is interested and it looks like taking pics is almost as fun as watching the tank. Thanks to evilc66, deepdvnarq, crs2k, Maddevil1, dhraakoxr, Waterproof, Crazy Tiki and bpkenn

Im not really familiar with doing forums and im not sure how to add it to your thread evilc66, either let me know how or send it over, it will be and honor to be added

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good. Quick question for you, what % (best guess) are you running your pots at? My corals seemed to have lightened up from when I brought them home from the stores and they were under T5s.

• 1 month later...

I have been running the whites and blues at about 60%, above that i cant see a whole lot of difference except for the heat, im looking at a reefkeeper light to do some fade in and out. All my corals are doing great, everything from chalices and acans to torts and bonsais... everybody is happy!

NightAtTheOpera
I have been running the whites and blues at about 60%, above that i cant see a whole lot of difference except for the heat, im looking at a reefkeeper light to do some fade in and out. All my corals are doing great, everything from chalices and acans to torts and bonsais... everybody is happy!

I think a microcontroller would give alot more flexability than a reefkeeper light. If you remove the pots and attach instead to an Arduino you can program the lights any way you want to. You could have sunrise, sunset, simulated cloud coverage, storms, etc. You could even remove the stock moonlights and use your LED's for moonlights by having the Arduino dim them down to a suitable level at night and reflect the actual phases of the moon so the moonlight isn't always at constant full moon.

PS (Forgot to mention: Great looking DIY!)

I have been researching schematics for an arduino controller, I am just having trouble with finding a code to control it... as far as the moonlights, they are held with thermal compound and super glue. It is working well so far except for one led lens that fell off. I reset it with superglue and it has been holding well. Will update with pics of coral growth soon.

Archived