Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist

Now that this thread is off and running, I've decided to re-do the first post. It will now have the most up-to-date FTS, the vital stats, and the stocking list.

FTS: 25 August 2010

100_1526.jpg

Vital Stats:

Born: September 2009

Display Tank: 29g AGA

Sump: 10g AGA

Return pump: Sedra KPS-5000

Lighting:TEK 4x24w T5HO fixture, with fan mod.

Bulbs: 2x ATI blue +, 1x ATI aquablue special, and 1x KZ fiji purple.

Filtration: Reef Octopus NWB 110 (offline awaiting repairs)

Circulation: Vortech MP10

Media: Phosban (media bag)

Stocking List:

Fish:

1x Starry Blenny

1x Chalk Bass

1x Sixline Wrasse

2x Ocellaris Clowns

Inverts:

Cerith snails

Nerite snails

Nass. snails

Brittle stars

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Anemones

Mini Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla tapetum)

Coral:

Soft Coral:

Zoas - Purple Hornets, "MJ's Radioactive Gooberz," "MJ's Psychedelic Tribbles," AOG, DH's Orange, Yellow Polyps, assorted paly's

GSP

LPS:

Deep water lobophyllia

Acanthastrea echinata

Acanthastrea lordhowensis

Frogspawn

Alien Eye Chalice

Xmas Favia

Trumpets

SPS:

Hydnophora

2x Green Slimer

2x Tri-color acro

2x Pavona

Pink Milli

Yellow Scroll

Elephant Skin coral (Pachyseris gemmae)

Montipora capricornis

Green Montipora digitata

Macro:

Botryocladia occidentalis

Halimeda

Halymenia

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist

So instead of continuing to confuse my 20L thread with planning material, I've decided to go ahead and start the build thread.

This tank presently is a planted FW tank, but due the the diffused light entering my living room, the tank has become an algal nightmare. By tearing it down and starting over as a SW tank, I'll be able to paint the back, which will help with some of the light. Also, since the lighting on the SW will/should drown out the ambient lighting, I'm hoping to avoid the algae problems.

Here's the planned vital stats:

Tank: 29g AGA (I think that's what it was...)

Sump: 10g AGA

Return pump: Sedra KPS-5000

Lighting: I've purchased a barely used TEK 4x24w T5HO fixture. It's got a fan mod, and comes with 2x ATI blue +, 1x ATI aquablue special, and 1x KZ fiji purple.

Filtration: Reef Octopus NWB 110

Circulation: To start, I'm just going to use the K-nano and K1 that I've got sitting around, now that my 20L has an MP10. I'm going try to wait at least 6 months before adding any serious amount of coral frags.

Livestock:

Fish: I'm setting up this tank primarily because I've been harassed into getting at least a couple of SW fish. I'd like to avoid clowns though. I'm thinking about Chomis, or maybe a chalk bass?

Coral: My plan is to have an LPS and SPS dominated tank. I might start with a few zoas and palys for the lower end of the tank, however.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a trip to the LFS, I've got a few ideas about a return pump, but a lot of ideas about the plumbing in general!

I'm going to use two drain bulkheads, one on each side. I'm going to have on the inside of the tank a 90 degree angle downward, and then a durso on the outside. That will be the case for both drains. For the return, I'm going to use flexible tubing to go from the pump to the tank. I'm going to go over the back for the return, with a DIY spray bar. I'm going to try to incorporate a check valve into the PVC where the spray bar will meet the flexible tubing. I may try to use a union, but I'm not sure yet.

Also, instead of the 10 gallon tank, I'm going to try to hunt down a taller rubbermaid, and use that for a sump instead. I should be able to get a lot more water for the space!

Militant Jurist
When you get the fixture, try putting the bulbs in this order for best effect:

FRONT

Fiji Purple

Blue+

Aquablue

Blue+

BACK

I'll try that! I'm really looking forward to comparing the Fiji Purple and Aquablue to my 2x Aquablue.

EDIT:

Would a Mag 7 be overkill for a return pump?

Militant Jurist
are you planning on putting baffles in the rubbermaid? I can't see them holding for too long.

I hadn't given that part much thought. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd say probably not. All I'm planning to run in the sump is a skimmer and a heater. I'm thinking of also creating a phosban type reactor where I'd run chemi-pure. With the skimmer I'm considering, it would take up the large part of the 10 gallon tank that I had been thinking about using, and when the guy at the LFS suggested a rubbermaid, the light bulb instantly went off in my mind!

As far as equipment goes, I'm going to need to get a nice big heater, and I'm thinking of either a Mag 7 or a Sedra 5000 for the return. Anyone have experience with either of these pumps?

Also, thoughts on Reef Octopus NWB 110 Skimmer?

Militant Jurist

I picked up a Sedra KSP-5000 today. I also picked up 16 lbs of dry rock today. I'm going to put some of it in the 20L to start getting it established. I think there's going to be a trip to lowes tomorrow for lumber, because the stand is the current holdup!

Militant Jurist
nice, cant wait to see the stand build

My plan is to do the same style build as a did for the 20L, although this time there won't be the excess on each side. My current debate is how to hide the plumbing. I'm thinking about building an oak shell around the 2x4 structure, and building the side shell about 6" wider than the stand, so that the plumbing is hidden from view.

I see a trip to lowes in my future for today. I feel the need to labor on my stand for Labor day. ;)

Militant Jurist

I had a $50 g/c to Lowes, courtesy of my bank's rewards program, so I picked up all of the 2x4s that should be necessary, Kilz primer, a sealant, and the PVC pipe and parts for plumbing the dual returns.

Looks like I'll have a busy day tomorrow. ;)

My plan is to do the same style build as a did for the 20L, although this time there won't be the excess on each side. My current debate is how to hide the plumbing. I'm thinking about building an oak shell around the 2x4 structure, and building the side shell about 6" wider than the stand, so that the plumbing is hidden from view.

Hmmm, aesthetically pleasing yes, but when the need arises to service said plumbing you may wish you hadn't done this.

Perhaps you can build that in such a way to be easily removed when necessary?

Perhaps "pocket" sliding "wings" within the sides? < tricky yes

Militant Jurist
Hmmm, aesthetically pleasing yes, but when the need arises to service said plumbing you may wish you hadn't done this.

Perhaps you can build that in such a way to be easily removed when necessary?

Perhaps "pocket" sliding "wings" within the sides? < tricky yes

I've actually been tossing around a couple of ideas with respect to this. The first idea was to use mini-magnets attached to the 2x4 structure and the oak. This would probably be the easiest way, but it would also be more expensive. The second idea was to essentially hinge the oak to the 2x4 structure, at least for the sides. That way, when access was needed, I could just swing it open. What do you think?

Also, I ordered my skimmer today as well. I ended up going with the Reef Octopus NW 110 from Aquacave.

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions as to what kind of container I should get from walmart for use a sump, I'd certainly appreciate it. I'd imagine something like a clear tote would be best?

I've actually been tossing around a couple of ideas with respect to this. The first idea was to use mini-magnets attached to the 2x4 structure and the oak. This would probably be the easiest way, but it would also be more expensive. The second idea was to essentially hinge the oak to the 2x4 structure, at least for the sides. That way, when access was needed, I could just swing it open. What do you think?

Also, I ordered my skimmer today as well. I ended up going with the Reef Octopus NW 110 from Aquacave.

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions as to what kind of container I should get from walmart for use a sump, I'd certainly appreciate it. I'd imagine something like a clear tote would be best?

Hinge sounds easy enough.

But should you prefer your removable option, perhaps friction ball latches would work ILO mini-magnets?

edit- Somthing like this

They are also made in stainless if you prefer. Many other catches that could get 'er done... ;)

Militant Jurist
Hinge sounds easy enough.

But should you prefer your removable option, perhaps friction ball latches would work ILO mini-magnets?

Good point. The hinge might be easier, but I suppose the removable factor would give the best access for later maintenance. I like that catch. I'll have to see if HD or Lowes has something like that.

I'm hoping to get the stand built tomorrow, and I'm going to have the inhabitants of the tank (some shrimp, a fish, and plants) switched over to a smaller tank within a few days. Once I get it torn down and cleaned out, I'll go get it drilled. It's going to either be drilled on Wednesday or Friday (I hope!).

Good point. The hinge might be easier, but I suppose the removable factor would give the best access for later maintenance. I like that catch. I'll have to see if HD or Lowes has something like that.

I'm hoping to get the stand built tomorrow, and I'm going to have the inhabitants of the tank (some shrimp, a fish, and plants) switched over to a smaller tank within a few days. Once I get it torn down and cleaned out, I'll go get it drilled. It's going to either be drilled on Wednesday or Friday (I hope!).

If and when I ever do upgrade, I would like to build my own stand as well. I have always thought removable sides and doors are a sweet feature.

I hope it all gets done so you can play next weekend too. :lol:

Militant Jurist
If and when I ever do upgrade, I would like to build my own stand as well. I have always thought removable sides and doors are a sweet feature.

I hope it all gets done so you can play next weekend too. :lol:

Haha yeah! Next weekend could be my last playtime weekend until October. I'm competing in an appellate practice competition in Chicago the first weekend of October, and I think me and my teammate are going up against some fairly high ranked law schools. My team last year managed to beat Yale in one round, so I've got to replicate an equivalent feat this year. ;)

Once the tank is drilled and things get started, I'll let it cycle for probably a month. Not only is that the proper and patient thing to do, but my wallet and bank account will thank me for it! :wacko:

Militant Jurist
are you planning on putting baffles in the rubbermaid? I can't see them holding for too long.

Now that I'm thinking about things further ahead, I think I would like to try to get some baffles in there after all. I'd like to do something like this:

sumpf.jpg

Except that it would not be as long, and it will be a rubbermaid or some other kind of container. Possible? Thoughts?

Haha yeah! Next weekend could be my last playtime weekend until October. I'm competing in an appellate practice competition in Chicago the first weekend of October, and I think me and my teammate are going up against some fairly high ranked law schools. My team last year managed to beat Yale in one round, so I've got to replicate an equivalent feat this year. ;)

Once the tank is drilled and things get started, I'll let it cycle for probably a month. Not only is that the proper and patient thing to do, but my wallet and bank account will thank me for it! :wacko:

Ah yes, reefing patience via bankruptcy. :lol:

Well, best of luck with both. :)

Now that I'm thinking about things further ahead, I think I would like to try to get some baffles in there after all. I'd like to do something like this:

sumpf.jpg

Except that it would not be as long, and it will be a rubbermaid or some other kind of container. Possible? Thoughts?

Tough to add baffles to a tub methinks. They flex quite a bit when you fill them.

Militant Jurist
Ah yes, reefing patience via bankruptcy. :lol:

Well, best of luck with both. :)

Thanks!

Haha I can't wait until I can get my law practice up and running. For the first few years, I'm going to run my practice out of my home, so perhaps I can write off the 20L (in my office) as a business expense. :P

Tough to add baffles to a tub methinks. They flex quite a bit when you fill them.

I was afraid of that. :( Alternatives to baffles? I'd hate to have micro-bubbles wind up everywhere....

Thanks!

Haha I can't wait until I can get my law practice up and running. For the first few years, I'm going to run my practice out of my home, so perhaps I can write off the 20L (in my office) as a business expense. :P

I was afraid of that. :( Alternatives to baffles? I'd hate to have micro-bubbles wind up everywhere....

if you really want to use a plastic tote then you could probably build a wooden frame to keep it from bowing? then put in the baffles.

or you could just look for a cheap used tank on craigslist.

speaking of plywood why dont you look into just making a plywood sump. the only real expense is the epoxy. although im not sure how much that runs........

Militant Jurist

Well, I've nearly got the stand completed. I ran out of lumber for the braces between the top and bottom, and a holiday is a horrible day for store hours around here. So, this pushes back my time table for priming and sealing it as well :(

if you really want to use a plastic tote then you could probably build a wooden frame to keep it from bowing? then put in the baffles.

or you could just look for a cheap used tank on craigslist.

I just might go for craigslist. However, after getting the bulk of the structure actually built and approximating the size of my skimmer, my planned carbon / floss setup, and return pump, I'm not going to have room for much of anything else. I'll have to start looking into other ideas for eliminating micro-bubbles from the skimmer.

speaking of plywood why dont you look into just making a plywood sump. the only real expense is the epoxy. although im not sure how much that runs........

I'm guessing the epoxy would be used to completely coat the plywood to prevent water from infiltrating the wood? That's an interesting concept.

That $9.50 10 gal from wally world is starting to sound pretty good innit?

:P

A trip to Home Depot for a couple squares of acrylic for baffles, tube of aquarium silicone....

( goin' there for more wood anyway, mirite? )

:happy:

Militant Jurist
That $9.50 10 gal from wally world is starting to sound pretty good innit?

:P

A trip to Home Depot for a couple squares of acrylic for baffles, tube of aquarium silicone....

( goin' there for more wood anyway, mirite? )

:happy:

True story! The only thing is that I was hoping for more water volume than a 10g. :(

The more I think about it, for practical purposes, I might have no choice but to get the 10g and be done with it. I'll lose a few gallons (the best I could find in plastic was going to be about 18g), but I'll gain function. I suppose that's a trade off I could live with! Now I just need to build the bottom shelf to support a 10g instead of a plastic tote.

True story! The only thing is that I was hoping for more water volume than a 10g. :(

The more I think about it, for practical purposes, I might have no choice but to get the 10g and be done with it. I'll lose a few gallons (the best I could find in plastic was going to be about 18g), but I'll gain function. I suppose that's a trade off I could live with! Now I just need to build the bottom shelf to support a 10g instead of a plastic tote.

I understand completely.

If you go with a taller tank, then it becomes difficult to maintain. Sometimes even impossible to install / remove taller skimmer bodies.... just more difficult all around.

I know we always want to add the max extra volume but we are usually limited by the stand. <_<

Archived