Cultivated Reef

Using plastic walmart storage totes to brew and store water in?

intheb0x

Well ever since my big move i been using these large sterilite brand plastic totes that i brew water in and heat the water, in a seperate one i mix the saltwater and leave it until needed.

i noticed in one of my larger tanks my angel has been going crazy trying to get out, and now the clown is acting odd as well.

i cant put my finger on it but i bet it has something to do with the plastic getting into the water.

all sps and other corals are doing great.

anyone else have problems or use these?

i heard to use the rubber made "brute force" branded garbage cans and plastic bins since they are food grade.

I use them, after a good scrub and rinse and then filling with water and letting sit for a couple days I still read 0 tds and so haven't thought much about it since I set up my RO station. Far as I can tell everything is doing fine though.

Were these new containers you just started using?

Yes typically you will want to use only food safe plastic.. I can't remember off the top of my head but i believe the main food grade plastic is #5. But i believe there are like 3 types that are considered safe for reef aquariums and 2 or three others that are not. Do a google search for "reef safe plastic" or something similar.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-t...acts-57828.html

^ here is the link that I used while searching for a container to mix salt in.

yes these were new, i let some RO water sit in them for a while before use then rinsed them out.

these are tan sterlite containers.

ok i found this on the LID the number 5 in the little symbol in the link.

im unsure if the rest of the container is 5 but i bet it is.

Number 5 Plastics -- PP (polypropylene)

* Found In: Some yogurt containers, syrup bottles, ketchup bottles, caps, straws, medicine bottles

* Recycling: Number 5 plastics can be recycled through some curbside programs.

* Recycled Into: Signal lights, battery cables, brooms, brushes, auto battery cases, ice scrapers, landscape borders, bicycle racks, rakes, bins, pallets, trays

Polypropylene has a high melting point, and so is often chosen for containers that must accept hot liquid. It is gradually becoming more accepted by recyclers.

i did a 5 gallon water change tonight, so far no change the angel is still going crazy trying to get out, i really dont know what the #### is going on.

i guess ill do another water change tomarrow and see.

Archived