Coral Vue Hydros

Brooklyngal's 24g nano-cube thread

Brooklyngal

last FTS (before algae got too bag)

IMG_4640.jpg

Ive had my BC29 for several months, and have fallen in love with the AIO cube design, so when I decided that I wanted to setup a tank in my room (been fixing it up, and felt that it wouldnt be complete w/o one) I went right on the classifieds on Manhatten Reef, and found a used nanocube 24g (the older model, I beleive its from '06) with stand, lights, skimmer and a powerhead for 100 bux. I jumped at the deal, and picked it up on sunday.

since Im a currently job-less 14yr old going into 9th grade, this build will be slow, after I add the initial corals that I have I my BC29 and spend the 225 I have left of my birthday money.

next post will have all the info, since I dont want a long one on every page...

... so, upon getting it home, I found out several things, first, their was no skimmer (forgot to ask about it when I picked it up, didnt remember until I got home), second, the return pump was sh*t, and finally, the lights didnt work. I sat back, took a deep breath, and launched into making these uh-oh's go away.

so, I replaced the sh*tty return with my old stock BC pump, and I decided to use the stock BC lights I had on hand as lighting instead, it overhangs a bit, but I dont mind. a new light for the tank is on my christmas list, though.

lights that didnt work

005-1.jpg

here is what it looked like when I first got it home...

002-1.jpg

after I scrubbed it out good and got it nice and clean/ full system shot of where it is going

006-1.jpg

during leak test

010-2.jpg

with SW in it at last

013-1.jpg

and an obligatory FTS as it stands now

015.jpg

Im planning to get rocks in tomorrow. they're some nicely shaped dry fijji marco rocks that I saved from my old 75g. heres a pic of said rocks sitting in their bucket

011-2.jpg

new FTS of tank:

006-2.jpg

and some of the rocks, including my favorite ones

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

and, also, the live rocks from my BC that Im using to seed the dry rocks, one has a tiny 1/2" mushroom on it, a baby from the colony Im planning to move over after the cycle...

010-3.jpg

there is quite a bit in there, I think close to 35lbs, maybe 40. usually I like minimal rockspaces, but am tired of having barely any rock, Ive done that for the past 2 tanks I have and already have that in my biocube, so wanted something different.

anyways, I figured I might as well post a bit about my stocking plans. once the tank cycles, Ill add some snails and hermits, then Ill be moving a few colonies of coral I have in my BC over, mostly zoas, one mushroom, might try a ric or 2, my smaller kenya tree, and a gorg, not all at once, of course. after that, Im going to start with fish stocking.

I KNOW, without a doubt, that I will be getting a flame hawk. Ive always been interested in these fish, but didnt want to risk my shrimp that I have. since I dont plan to have any shrimp, Im gonna be on the lookout for a small, healthy specimen. I also plan to add some kind of dottyback, thinking either an orchid or a springer's. finally, Ill be getting one last species of fish. Im debating between a pair of occys or percs, or cherub/ pygmy angel. Ive been leaning towards the angel, since I loved the rusty I had in my old 75g.

whattup32533

Awesome, I just broke down my 75, and sold everything to get a pimped out nanocube 24, got mine up and running tonight, its stock except for a Coralife 150w HQI clamp on, and a surface skimmer box that fits over the overflow. How much of a CUC do you think we will need?

I was planning on getting 6 nass. snails, 3 cerith snails, 3 astrea snails (to be increased as algae apears) and one or two serpent stars (thinking about moving the big red one I have in my BC over, but not completly sure yet). If I get any algae problems, Ill add more, since usually I get very few critters and add as needed.

nor_cal_nano
I was planning on getting 6 nass. snails, 3 cerith snails, 3 astrea snails (to be increased as algae apears) and one or two serpent stars (thinking about moving the big red one I have in my BC over, but not completly sure yet). If I get any algae problems, Ill add more, since usually I get very few critters and add as needed.

Order from reefcleaners.org. Mention you're a N-R member. He'll hook you up.

yeah, I was planning to order there. always wanted to try it. hehe. Im also thiking about getting some of the macro he has, always wanted to try some. any suggestions?

Im bored, so I figured Id post some of the livestock that I am planning to move into the tank after the cycle, as well as an updated pic of the rockwork (added a K1, as well for more flow thats covered in coraline).

first, the rockwork

011-3.jpg

and now the lives stock, currently being held in my BC29

the zoas (some arent very happy right now...)

001-1.jpg

009-3.jpg

010-4.jpg

the big star polyp/ anthelia rock

006-3.jpg

007-3.jpg

the two rics Im still 50/50 on adding (leaning towards a yes on the red/green, no on the yellow/green)

003-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

the mushies Im still 50/50 on adding (have on head in now, about 1/2" wide, came in on a piece of LR I am seeding the base with

005-2.jpg

and finally, the yellow ribbon gorg and kenya (I think) tree

004-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

and one of the veiw of my room from my desk, including the tank

012-3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!!

the tank finishes cycling a few days ago, and today I was planning to run to the LFS for a CUC, but didnt get a chance to, because I woke up late, then I had to move my BC29 to a different room bc of contruction in the house, and so had to completely empty the tank, meaning I could catch my YWG, Gobi. well, Gobi never comes out up there, and since I wanted the bigger tank for more aggressive fish anyways, I figured it was the perfect time to move little Gobi into a new home... this tank! :D

so, he's now in there, along with a stray hermit I found clinging to a zoa rock as I was moving coral, and a smallish 2" frag of what I think are evergreen polyps (a light tan with bright green tips and whiteish centers; a type of star polyp). the evergreen polyps began opening about an hour after I moved them over.

oh, and I also moved the rocks around a bit, and ended up replacing the BC stock light with the 4 bulb T5 fixture that was on my BC, swapping the two. I have to charge my camera, then Ill add pics!!

• 2 months later...

my current stock list in the tank:

various zoa/paly colonies

colony of white daisy polyps

toadstool leather

purple photosynthetic gorg

forest green w/ electric green stripes mushroom colony

yellow ribbon gorg

small rock of evergreen polyps/ green anthelia, several smaller frags of both

1 YWG who I've had for more than a year (Gobi)

im hoping to get at least one more fish tomorrow, and also some more mushrooms or zoas. eventually, im hoping to get some brain corals (not sure of the type), maybe an acan or blasto or micro colony or two, and a green toadstool and/or a yellow leather.

FTS 11/26

IMG_4640.jpg

mushroom colony (started as a single freebie head about a year ago)

IMG_4641.jpg

single head, same morph of mushroom (tester coral in tank, doubled in size since then) and zoa min-colony

IMG_4642.jpg

toadstool leather (grown from a .5" baby of a 6" colony I got a bit over a half year ago; at least doubled in size since then)

IMG_4643.jpg

zoa collection

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

still need a new light, right now have some crappy 10K bulbs over it that are really old and need to be changed.

what was wrong with the NC24 lights? The bulbs just blown or was the ballast/wiring bad?

I have an old set of NC24 lights from a newer model (they are 6months old) if you are interested in seeing if it was the bulbs or has some other problem. They both work, they just are just old.

No charge, free shipping. PM me if you want them.

I think a new set of bulbs is 40 bucks for the NC24, but if these would limp you along for awhile i can mail them out.

oh, the hood was completly shot. the fan was jammed and emitted a high pitched shreiking noise similar to a cat being drowned, and the ballast was shorted out. it doesnt matter to me too much, since i was planning to replace the lights anyways. i have a 24" 2 bulb t5 fixture for it, though its currently on my BC while i wait for the funds to get a better light for that.

thanks though. :)

oh, the hood was completly shot. the fan was jammed and emitted a high pitched shreiking noise similar to a cat being drowned, and the ballast was shorted out. it doesnt matter to me too much, since i was planning to replace the lights anyways. i have a 24" 2 bulb t5 fixture for it, though its currently on my BC while i wait for the funds to get a better light for that.

thanks though. :)

No problem! good luck with the tank!

• 1 month later...

this tank is as of today demolished. I got tired of its small footprint and the constant algae that plaigued it, so I am setting up a 29g AGA to replace it (upstairs, my room felt too crampt with a tank plus a rat cage in it).

Archived