SaltCritters.com

evolsk8shop's 28g nano

evolsk8shop

JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Reef

Current FTS - 12.29.2010

DSC03814.jpg

I had a 50 gallon fish only tank for two years. Recently I broke down the tank and put the contents into a JBJ Nano aquarium. It has the 105 watt Power Compact Light. It has about 40 lbs of live rock and maybe 25 lbs of live sand. I just did the swap on August 13th, 2009.

Fish:

False Percula Clown

Sixline Wrasse

Copper-Banded Butterfly Fish

Midas Blenny

Coral:

Zoas

Mushrooms

Leathers

Montis

Acan

Kenya Trees

Birds Nest

Torch Coral

Inverts:

Scarlet Hermits

Blue Legged Hermits

Turbo Snails

White Porcelain Crab

Sexy Shrimp

2 Peppermint Shrimp

Chaeto

Berghia Nudibranch (maybe, I haven't seen them for awhile)

Camera:

Sony DSLR A300

I realize the tank has some cyano and aiptasia in it. I am working on the problems the best I can right now.

Here are some photos:

leftside.jpg

rightside.jpg

front.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!!

Got some new coral frags today.

redshroom.jpg

zoas.jpg

coral.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally some new pictures!!!

DSC02045.jpg

Left Side

DSC02046.jpg

Front Shot

DSC02052.jpg

Right Side

DSC02088.jpg

I don't really know what this is but it turns green under the blue LED's

DSC02036.jpg

Mushrooms

DSC02038.jpg

monti - lots of growth

DSC02081.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

DSC02037.jpg

DSC02068.jpg

DSC02067.jpg

Looking good! I also have the same tank as you. Which light do you have? HQI, Quad CF or LEDs? I have the quad, was curious how that monti was doing lower in the tank it you also had the quad cf. I have a monti in mine that is doing well but I have it very high in the tank. click signature for tank thread.

• 4 months later...

Looks like it's been a while since we've seen any updates. Hope all is well.

BTW, I've since upgraded my quad to a T5 fixture. Its a 20" NEP. Very nice upgrade for the 28g NC.

evolsk8shop

i know it has been awhile since i have updated, i have been pretty busy with my other hobby (my skate shop). the glass on my tank was almost completely covered with coraline and hard green algae until last night. i finally had time to scrape it all clean again so i can actually see through it. i plan on taking some updated pics tonight. everything has grown a lot since my last pics (in february). i think i might go get a porcelain crab in the morning too, hopefully my sixline wont kill it though. i am still trying to kill the aiptasia too, i bought 4 peppermint shrimp last night, hopefully they eat some.

i want to get this tank looking good again because i think i might take it up to the skate shop so i can watch it during the day when the lights are on...

evolsk8shop

Here are some new pictures showing about 10 months of growth. I haven't added any new corals to my aquarium since last August I think. Hopefully I will be getting some more livestock next week.

DSC02534.jpg

DSC02542.jpg

DSC02555.jpg

DSC02539.jpg

DSC02572.jpg

DSC02557.jpg

DSC02561.jpg

DSC02564.jpg

DSC02571.jpg

evolsk8shop

not really any aggression. just a lot of curiosity. he always investigates everything. my clown is more aggressive, if i stick my hand in the tank the clown is always pecking at it trying to protect his tank.

i hope my sixline stays calm though because i want to get a porcelain crab and maybe a sexy shrimp eventually and i hear sixlines like to kill shrimp.

Six-Lines are awesome. I had one for nearly a year. But as it got bigger it got more aggressive and started picking on my male clown. So I had to sell the Six-Line. Hopefully yours stays calm. Porcelain crabs are really neat, too.

evolsk8shop

Some more new pictures:

RightSide.jpg

leftside.jpg

front.jpg

DSC02581.jpg

DSC02660.jpg

Oldest living inhabitant of my aquarium:

DSC02653.jpg

DSC02639.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

DSC02586.jpg

DSC02627.jpg

DSC02628.jpg

evolsk8shop

I got a White Porcelain Crab and a Sexy Shrimp last night from the LFS. There were two labels on the aquarium, one said "Porcelain Crab 10.99" and one said "Anemone Crab 12.99" They are the same thing right? so I asked for the Porcelain crab and saved $2...

Here is a pick of him hiding under my Monti:

DSC02693.jpg

evolsk8shop

I tried to construct the filter basket mod that makes it larger for the JBJ 28 gallon aquarium. I used extra parts and pieces from my skate shop to make it. I had extra plexiglass from building the windows in the background of the pictures so I decided to give it a shot. It looks pretty sloppy compared to the other builds but nobody can see it in the aquarium so its fine with me.

Today I also got a Midas Blenny from a LFS. He looks a little beat up (just a damaged fin) but they gave me a good deal on him because of it so I bought it. My tank is pretty stable so I think he will make it just fine. I will probably have pictures of him and my sexy shrimp tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of my new filter basket though:

DSC02709.jpg

I used some scrap sheets of grip tape to sand the edges off the egg crate. hahahaha

DSC02711.jpg

This is the finished product. The leaning tower of filter media.

evolsk8shop

The Midas Blenny seems to be doing pretty good on the second day. It looks like all three of my fish are getting along at the moment.

I didn't really expect to get the Midas Blenny this week. Up here in North East Ohio there are not really any salt water aquarium stores. The few that exist pretty much only stock clown fish and hermit crabs. The mom and pop shops sell coral frags for $60 if the have any. So a few weeks ago I stopped in at the only Petco around here to check out their stock. I wanted a Midas Blenny for a long time but never saw one around here. I asked the dude working at Petco if they could order them. He said he sees them on the availability list sometimes and they are $25. He asked me for my name and number and wrote them down on some scrap piece of paper so that he could call me if one became available.

I pretty much assumed he was just going to throw the paper away and forget about it. It is a chain pet store so they don't really have to care about customer service. After a day or two I completely forgot about it myself.

Then 2 days ago I got a voicemail from the dude at PetCo saying my fish was in. I had to think for a second to figure out what he was even talking about. He actually ordered my fish after all this time! I went up to the store yesterday to pick it up. The fish had a damaged fin so I was hesitating to buy it. Especially since Petco doesnt have a 3 day warranty or anything. Petco dude said he would drop it down to $20 if I wanted the damaged goods. I thought that was a good deal since they are about $40 online plus shipping. So now I have a Midas Blenny.

Here are some pictures of him:

DSC02712.jpg

DSC02732.jpg

My Sexy Shrimp I got last Friday:

DSC02736.jpg

My White Porcelain Crab also purchased last Friday (it molted last night):

DSC02729.jpg

evolsk8shop

I finally got some new corals today. There aren't very many good coral shops here in North East Ohio. The few that have coral don't have very good pricing, like frags are usually $50. There is this guy that has four 150 gallon frag tanks in the back of an old school here though. He has a huge huge variety and he has some amazing deals. All the coral in my tank is from him actually. Today I got 6 pieces for $80. 3 different types of monti, a torch coral, a green birds nest and something else I cant remember.

Sorry about the bad pics, I was in a hurry cause I was going to be late to work. These pics just show the coral thrown in my tank. I didnt have time to mount it. I will do that tonight or tomorrow morning. Let me know what you think:

DSC02903.jpg

Torch Coral

DSC02902.jpg

Monti?

DSC02901.jpg

Green Monti

DSC02900.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02897.jpg

cheryl jordan

I love this tank ;)

The scape is very unique, and with the type of sand you have it makes it look like a wild reef. The placement of the corals is very nice as well, it looks very natural.

• 2 months later...

Here are some photos showing some coral growth since July. The 105W Power Compact seems to be working pretty good. If you want something that grows fast and looks neat get a birdsnest. That thing is growing like crazy!

DSC03308.jpg

DSC03306.jpg

DSC03304.jpg

Archived