Cultivated Reef

I Put Baby in a Corner New Pics 9/25/09

akabryanhall

akabryanhall

Soo, I have upgraded my 29G BioCube. I found one h ell of a deal on craigslist, and my wife an I went to go get it. Took us about 3 hours to break it down, and had a wee bit of a problem keeping the water in the bins on the way back.

The tank came drilled, with 100lbs of rock, a tunze wavemaker, a euroreef skimmer, a 30 gallon sump and a T-5 setup

Here I am filling the tank and shot of the bins that the water and rocks were in.

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

There were many more of these, I managed to keep about 80 Gallons of the original water and kept the rock submerged for the entire trip, so hopefully no die-off.

IMG_2471.jpg

I got a purple tang with it, transfered by bucket. He is in "sleep" pajamas

IMG_2473.jpg

I had put the fish in after getting the 80 gallons in and kept water moving with a spare pump I had, but he started acting very erratically, so I removed him and put him in my biocube overnight. I would not have done it, but it looked like he was dying. Maybe a lack of oxygen in the water or too much stuff from stirred up sand bed. I went yesterday and got the rest of the sea water i needed, set up the pumps and skimmers, bought new T-5's (1 14k, 1 10k, 1 actinic, 1 purple) Tested the water, ammonia was a little high, nothing alarming. I have put the tang in and the bangaii.

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

The tang is swimming much more sedately and picking at the rock, but looking very skinny, and my Bangaii has never been seen so much swimming room before.

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

akabryanhall

Soo I think I have my stocklist all planned out. Right now I have..

Purple tang

2 Oscillaris

Pajama Cardinal

Bangaii

I am getting later this week..

Mckoskers flasher wrasse male

Filamented flasher wrasse male

I would like to do these as well

Exquisite wrasse

Pink Margin Wrasse

Velvet Multicolor Wrasse

Purple Tile Fish

Yellow Candy Hogfish

Golden Midas Blenny

That will leave me with 13 fish, none over 6 inches. If I think my system can handle it I might do a japanese swallowtail angel

akabryanhall
Nice score man, off to a good start.

Thanks man, looking forward to starting with a bigger tank, my nano ended up being a disaster lol.

I love the corner tanks. How hard was it to aquascape? It seems like it might be a little difficult.

The tank came with a lot of nice shelf rock, so it turned out to be a little easier to scape, I put a lot of caves and overhangs, which looks bad ass, just have to sacrifice some coral space.

akabryanhall

Here are some pics

My Zebra Maxima, its Black and Aqua from above

IMG_2549.jpg

Tang

IMG_2536.jpg

Clowns

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

Shawshank

IMG_2522.jpg

Pink Acans

IMG_2574.jpg

My Duncans look piisssed

IMG_2575.jpg

We are finally at that age yaay

IMG_2259.jpg

I haven't got the flashers yet, but I am getting them tomorrow, turns out I should be getting a mckoskers and a carpenters. My cube ended u being an absolute disaster and I thought I was going to have to throw way a bunch of corals due to algae growth. I have been putting them in the corner one at a time and the tang has taken care of almost all of the algae on each piece.

Um... watch all important params since you have a clam after only a few short days of setting up. I don't think it will survive this early in a tank if you don't keep your Nitrogen cycle in check.

Nice tang btw thats my next purchase.

Thanks rocket, I dont think there should be too much of an issue with cycling as the rocks never left the water, also clams kinda like dirty water.

I got the new fish last night, but there was some prep work to be done. There are some gaps in the back of the canopy so I had to cut some screen material to size and taped it into place. In addition to adding the two flasher wrasses, I also added my tomini tang, which is a gamble cause of the purple tang, but the best time to add it would be as i added the others. Made sure the lights were off for a good hour before adding them. The purple tang went after the tomini tang immediately. I have added another weed clip on the other side of the tank and changed the rock work around just a little. hopefully all this works.

HOLY Sh%t I forgot, I was looking in my tank about to get started with the work, and what do I see, the cleaner shrimp I thought had died a week ago. I know there are places to hide, but for a week, no sign of him. This made my night, it really did.

Alright, I have turned on lights, fed and snapped some blurry pics.

The Carpenters

IMG_2616.jpg

The Mckoskers, I'm officially giving him supermale status, The pic does not do him justice

IMG_2610.jpg

The two together

IMG_2634.jpg

The tomini tang

IMG_2595.jpg

The purple tang and tomini arer actually friends!! Swimming together

IMG_2598.jpg

Some more pics..

A better pic of the tang

IMG_2653.jpg

Candy cane, duncan and cap

IMG_2648.jpg

Prism favia

IMG_2659.jpg

Blastos, still small after transfer

IMG_2655.jpg

Mushroom rock

IMG_2661.jpg

Forget the name..Nepthia?

IMG_2660.jpg

Pink acans

IMG_2662.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some updated pics.. I have lost over half of my corals when my biocube went south, maybe somewhere between 3-400 bucks worth.

FTS

IMG_2713.jpg

Left Side

IMG_2714.jpg

Mushrooms

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

Blastos..The only coral I have ever managed to save

IMG_2719.jpg

Happy as a maxima

IMG_2723.jpg

Prism

IMG_2717.jpg

Zoas

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

Jedi Mindtrick, part of afac's group buy

IMG_2731.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
levitationDrew

Awesome tank. I've always wanted the big corner bowfront. Which lfs in Orlando do you like? And where did you get the extra seawater?

• 2 months later...
akabryanhall
Awesome tank. I've always wanted the big corner bowfront. Which lfs in Orlando do you like? And where did you get the extra seawater?

Sorry for the delay, haven't been on this thread in a while, I like sea in the city, but go to Ocean blue out of convenience. That is where I get my water, although the last time I did a full water change was over two months ago.

So I took some video with only the actinics on with my Iphone

th_IMG_0242.jpg

• 3 years later...

Nice tank!

Soo I think I have my stocklist all planned out. Right now I have..
Purple tang
2 Oscillaris
Pajama Cardinal
Bangaii

I am getting later this week..
Mckoskers flasher wrasse male
Filamented flasher wrasse male

I would like to do these as well
Exquisite wrasse
Pink Margin Wrasse
Velvet Multicolor Wrasse
Purple Tile Fish
Yellow Candy Hogfish
Golden Midas Blenny

That will leave me with 13 fish, none over 6 inches. If I think my system can handle it I might do a japanese swallowtail angel

That's a lot of wrasses for one tank.

Archived