Coral Vue Hydros

*StevieT's Guide to Moving a Tank*

StevieT

This is the way I moved my tank from Channanon (Joliet), Illinois to Milwaukee, Wisconsin April 5, 2009. The drive was about 150 miles and the tank was down for about 7 hours before re-setup.

Timeline:

Sunday:

12:00 PM break down tank

4:00 PM leaving Illinois for good

6:30 PM arrive at new location

7:30 PM tank set up

11:59 PM Give up, corals acclimated and in tank un-scaped

Monday:

5:00 PM Start rescape again

11:00 PM Rock scaped but most corals unattached

Tuesday:

5:00 PM Start to attach corals

7:00 PM Scape falls apart and I try again

10:00 PM Scape looks OK, start to attach corals

11:00 PM Satisfied for the night

Wednesday:

5:00 PM Finishing touches

9:00 PM Clean up

It was successful but very very stressful. If you plan on moving your tank this guild will help you with some dos and don'ts. Overall it took me about 30 man hours to make this move possible.

Preparation:

Make new Saltwater. I used a Rubbermaid garbage container and made my new water 5 days ahead of time. I used two heaters and a pump to mix and prep the water for the new arrival. This also served as a place to bring the livestock back up to temp using float acclimation. Make sure you have more than enough fresh saltwater and fresh RO water, evaporation, spills, mistakes etc will occur. Once this move starts there is no turning back and you have to be prepared.

Supplies Purchased/Used:

• Coolers
  • Small Rubbermaid containers for fish, corals, live rock more the better
  • Drill and other hand tools
  • Super Glue Gel (lots)
  • Aquamend Putty (3 tubes)
  • Fish bags, very important for bagging corals
  • Fish net
  • New sand
  • Extension cord
  • MH light to illuminate tank after display lighting is removed
  • Colored zip ties, experiment of mine to label rock to rescape, -failed
  • Paper towels
  • Boxes
  • Tubing
  • Heaters
  • Pumps
  • Thermometers
  • Rubber bands
  • A helpful hand if possible
  • A plan and patience

My Biggest Failure:

I tried to replicate my old aquascape. This proved to waste 8+ hours of my time and was nearly impossible. I was so in love with my first scape that I couldn't let it go and with somewhat of an established tank I felt it was important for the corals and fish. It proved to be a huge stress on this move. My plan was to label all the live rock with color coded zip ties, make a map then reporduce that in the new location.

The largest factor in the failure was you take a tank down from top/down, yet put it together from bottom/up. Rock is not flat and just color coding it isn't enough. You have to remember exactly the position it sat in the sand, on another rock every small detail to accomplish this. Basically do not try unless you have a superior plan to mine.

Largest Advice:

Take your time and have help. Make a plan weeks earlier to the move. Know the weather, your new location and acclimate slowly. My corals and fish lost 7° of temperature during the move but they were acclimated slowly to the new setup.

I have done an upgrade move before and nothing compares to a relocation. Corals and fish are hardy but be smart about everything, once you start there is not much room for "oh I forgot the fish bags" moments.

Get lots of sleep the night before you will be pushed to work hard, wet and fast.

Enjoy

Last view from the office :(

IMG_9688.jpg

IMG_9773-1.jpg

Supplies:

IMG_9774-1.jpg

Protection while I was away for 7 days from my tank:

IMG_9775-1.jpg

IMG_9777.jpg

Started first with the equipment, removed the guts of the stand. ATO removed, testing supplies, food, dosing chemicals, tank lighting:

IMG_9778.jpg

Best thing I did during the move. I had an extra MH shop light that I propped up on a ladder. This allowed me to view the tank without the display lights:

IMG_9780-1.jpg

IMG_9781.jpg

Tank MH light off, inTank cup off. Cardboard to collect as much water as possible:

IMG_9784.jpg

Electronics of tank boxed up. Accessories in another box:

IMG_9786.jpg

View of rear chambers:

IMG_9788.jpg

First Coral Removed. Ricordia island put in it's own rubbermaid container with tank saltwater:

IMG_9789.jpg

Most other corals were individually bagged with tank saltwater. This protected during transport. They were put in dry containers:

IMG_9790.jpg

IMG_9795-1.jpg

IMG_9803crop.jpg

Water level coming down:

IMG_9791.jpg

Empty rear chamber:

IMG_9793.jpg

Attempt at labeling live rock:

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_9801-1.jpg

IMG_9807.jpg

IMG_9818.jpg

All live rock in a separate container. Live rock with corals still attached bagged SEPARATELY from this container to avoid crushing:

IMG_9809-1.jpg

:angry::angry:

IMG_9812.jpg

IMG_9810.jpg

IMG_9816.jpg

The mess of this project

IMG_9817-1.jpg

All fish went into this nifty cooler. Purchased at Menards for $12 it featured a separator grate that allowed for water flow. I kept inverts on one side and fish on the other. It also came with a grate top so the fish could not get splashed upwaterds too high during transport on rough roads.

IMG_9820.jpg

IMG_9821-1.jpg

Draining water out of tank. After this was completed I sifted through the sand for snails, worms and other helpful critters. The tank was then brought outside and all sand was thrown away. Then tank was rinsed with fresh water and scrapped with a razor blade. It was almost new looking when complete. A total loss of 1.5 years of coralline and pods/worms.

IMG_9823.jpg

IMG_9824.jpg

Packing up the the RSM for the move:

IMG_9825-1.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

IMG_9827-1.jpg

Fish on floor closest to heat, it was not a warm day

IMG_9828.jpg

IMG_9829.jpg

:(

IMG_9830-1.jpg

IMG_9831.jpg

IMG_9833.jpg

Sad weather for a sad day

IMG_9834-1.jpg

Thank you State of Illinois for the warning

IMG_9836-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fish safe and warm

IMG_9838-1.jpg

THE NEW HOME!

IMG_9843.jpg

Warming rock up, used a heater and a pump in their transport bucket

IMG_9846.jpg

Acclimating fish in bucket. Used new saltwater that was premixed with old tank water to bring up to temp/salinity match

IMG_9847.jpg

IMG_9848.jpg

The water temp went from 79° when the takedown started to 72° when I arrived at the new location

IMG_9845-1.jpg

Acclimating corals that were bagged in premixed saltwater. Inside is 2 heaters and a pump

IMG_9849.jpg

The new tank location in the office

IMG_9853-1.jpg

IMG_9854.jpg

Make sure stand and tank are level

IMG_9855.jpg

IMG_9857-1.jpg

IMG_9860.jpg

Equipment back in

IMG_9861.jpg

IMG_9862.jpg

Fill er' up

IMG_9866.jpg

After many failed attempts of replicating the previous scape this is where I was left at 12:10am on a Monday morning. I was due to work at 8am and my brain and body were fried. I had to leave the tank for the new coworkers to see like this.

IMG_9871.jpg

Monday night try number 552

IMG_9872.jpg

Corals out to rescape once again

IMG_9873.jpg

IMG_9874.jpg

Try number 636

IMG_9875.jpg

IMG_9876.jpg

Try number 640 I had to leave the tank like this Monday night since it was 11pm

IMG_9877.jpg

IMG_9880.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

IMG_9882.jpg

Tuesday night

IMG_9884.jpg

IMG_9889-1.jpg

IMG_9891-1.jpg

IMG_9892-1.jpg

IMG_9894-1.jpg

Please add your experiences with moving a tank, transfer or other. One time or another everyone has to go through this.

Here is the tank today

IMG_1427.jpg

• Like 1

Real good job documenting the move. What really stuck out whilst reading was

"Once this move starts there is no turning back and you have to be prepared."

I guess you really have to be OVER prepared in case of the inevitable.

Nice thread. I am moving house next week as well, although thankfully into the next suburb, rather than 150 miles... My biggest worry is getting my scaping to look like it does now, took me days to get it the way I wanted it in the first place. I guess I just need to let go and think of something new...

Nice thread. I am moving house next week as well, although thankfully into the next suburb, rather than 150 miles... My biggest worry is getting my scaping to look like it does now, took me days to get it the way I wanted it in the first place. I guess I just need to let go and think of something new...

I know it is hard to let go but replicating it is almost impossible. You can never balance the rock the same way again. You could try something similar. I actually enjoy my new scape it made a lot more room for corals. Before I was pretty much maxed out and after the move I had at least 50% more room.

Honestly 150 miles or down the street are pretty much the same. The only difference is the loss in temp, everything else will be extremely similar.

Awesome thread!!

What is your mandarin going to do without all the pods to eat?

My mandarin is trained to eat frozen food, I have never relied on it to eat pods to survive. All fish were eating normally after the move.

I will always miss the original OfficeMax. It was one of the key inspiration tanks, and was one of the reasons I started reefing in the first place.

I shed a tear for the empty office photos.

I guess for the heat loss you could get a DC to AC power inverter and plug the heater in that for the car ride. Can always return it to the store after the move.

Great guide, Steve.... just a little too much OCD. ;)

I learn from the best :flower:

I will always miss the original OfficeMax. It was one of the key inspiration tanks, and was one of the reasons I started reefing in the first place.

I shed a tear for the empty office photos.

Thanks bud. I really miss that office and the way the tank looked in it. There was no overhead lighting so it really stood out in a "darker" corner. The scape will be missed.

I guess for the heat loss you could get a DC to AC power inverter and plug the heater in that for the car ride. Can always return it to the store after the move.

Correct thanks for the reminder.

I had one with me. But since it was April the temps wern't too bad as in the winter. I also had all the corals in bags so you would have to float them in some kind of contraption with the heater, all that extra water would make me nervous in my truck. I put as much in a cooler to hold in as much heat, there was no good way with my move to make that work.

On a longer trip it is recommended or pack as if they are shipping UPS or FedEx.

How/when did you prep your new sand bed? I'm planning on tossing my sandbed in my next move as the outbreaks I got from my last move was absurd.

Also, was there any effect on your tank from replacing it.

How/when did you prep your new sand bed? I'm planning on tossing my sandbed in my next move as the outbreaks I got from my last move was absurd.

Also, was there any effect on your tank from replacing it.

I just added the new sand after I set up my scape, rinsed it before hand. To be super safe you could cycle it before hand but it is a small aspect biologically compared to the rock. It did go though an algae cycle shortly after the new set up but that lasted less than two weeks.

I would not recommend every trying to move the sand after seeing what was actually in it. I can see it crashing the new set up quickly.

The only effect was it's algae stages, the corals and fish were unaffected. Water perams looked stable and honestly I didn't test after the move because of no visual stress of the animals. Not a recommendation but with a mature tank you hardly test. I did weekly water changes for one month then went back to bi-weekly.

I could only imagine how stressful that was!! You did a great job, and planned it really well.

I'm moving my 2.5 gallon in the next week or so, granted it's nothing major to move, but I'm still not looking forward to doing it. I'm just gonna drain some water and pick it up as is, so we'll see how it goes.

Hah, the pictures of you trying to rescape made me laugh so hard because I was just there myself. Sitting infront of my tank, saltwater EVERYWHERE, salt on every surface of my tankstand, and me with piles of liverock on 5g bucket tops. I definitely agree that once you take down a scape just LET IT GO. You will spend countless hours trying to recreate it and in the end you won't be happy.

Hah, the pictures of you trying to rescape made me laugh so hard because I was just there myself. Sitting infront of my tank, saltwater EVERYWHERE, salt on every surface of my tankstand, and me with piles of liverock on 5g bucket tops. I definitely agree that once you take down a scape just LET IT GO. You will spend countless hours trying to recreate it and in the end you won't be happy.

I should have taken a picture of my pants and shirt. The shirt (black) was almost pure white when I was done and the jeans were rock hard in some areas soaking wet and turning white.

I should have taken a picture of my pants and shirt. The shirt (black) was almost pure white when I was done and the jeans were rock hard in some areas soaking wet and turning white.

I see your drenched shirt and raise you a soaking wet shirtless guy sitting in his livingroom at 3am cause he just had to get it right. I eventually gave up and finished the next day.

The things we do for pretty fish and corals.

Archived