Pod Your Reef

Deep's 14bc with LED lighting

deepdvnarq

i wish i would have taken more pics of my tanks from the beginning and i lost other pics by the way of computer crashes. well here it goes. this is my budget 14BC. all the rock in the tank is from an open field in las vegas. also if you look and say that there is flag stone in there that is used in landscaping...yep that is what is is. so in all i spent $0.00 on my rock. when i first started the tank, i used crushed coral but that gave me so much problems that i finally broke the tank down and threw away all of the CC and put in regular fine white sand. i left a little CC for aesthetic reasons. for lighting, thanks to Evilc66 and waterproof, i did a DIY LED retro lighting system with blue LED moonlights from measure explorer on ebay setup on autotimers. i had a custom sump that i built, but that blew up on me last christmas. water every where!. the only mods i have done to the tank other than the lighting was i replaced the stock pump for a mj900 with a hydor flo. i have stevie t's media rack in the back with carbon, soon to have cheato, and pillow stuffing on top. for a heater i have an el cheapo 50w tetra mini heater from walmart which fits nicely in the 1st chamber. enough talk here is an old pic, well as old as i have, an nothing to brag about. so here is my modest tank:

DSCF2053.jpg

it not much but it has grown some. here is an updated pic of the tank as of 8/9/09

IMG00044.jpg

livestock:

CUC

red and blue hermits

dwarf ceriths

Florida ceriths

limpets

bristleworms

of coarse pods

stomatella

peppermint shrimp

nassarius vibex

fish

ocellaris clown

neon goby (R.I.P)

IMG00307.jpg

feather duster

corals

acans (orange and blue) pics on page 2

metalic green mushrooms pics on page 2

fire and ice zoas

IMG00323.jpg

blue rics

pink panther zoas

sonalara (spelling?)

IMG00309.jpg

tri color/orange ric (is hiding behind rock and flame algea)

galaxea

pipe organ polyps

IMG00006.jpg

red, orange, and green monti's

IMG00005.jpg

green star polyps

IMG00003.jpg

and a various zoa rock which i believe has watermelon zoas, neon green, and some other zoas yet to be identified ($40 from Petco!)

IMG00009.jpg

IMG00039.jpg

candy apple cyphestrea

IMG00004.jpg

blue zoas (dont know real name)

IMG00001.jpg

macro algea

flame algea

brown unidentified macro algea

IMG00322.jpg

a red fern (? that's what the LFS called it)

Halimeda

IMG00315.jpg

mermaids brush (3 has popped of from the orginal one now passing away)

IMG00317.jpg

so this is my little budget tank so far.

bad pics, bad camera (broke so i used my cell phone)

anyways i hope you enjoy it

the 2 best things i did to this this tank is the LED lighting and changing out the CC for reguar white sand. i have had no problems since.

ps the candy cane coral was relocated to my 37 gal. the clown was beating up up. it looked like he wanted to swim into the candy cane mouth or was french kissing it. he was beating it up and pushing it all over the tank.

recently added another candy cane, maze brain, pink pipe organ

no more corals for this tank. i'm just going to let it grow/fill out

new pics on page 2

Very impressive! It's very bright and very colorfull. I hope mine looks that good when i get it fully stocked. Where are your LED light pics? I'd like to see the mod on that hood.

Very impressive! It's very bright and very colorfull. I hope mine looks that good when i get it fully stocked. Where are your LED light pics? I'd like to see the mod on that hood.

here ya go and thanks for the compliment. i lost most of the pics when my laptop blew up. well it didn't blow up, but there was a loud "pop" when i was using it and there was a lot of pics on there. i wil have to buy an enclosure so i can transfer everything over. but for now this is what i have.

DSCF2054.jpg

DSCF2055.jpg

I like the look of it with the flagstone, actually. It's unique in a vast sea of biocubes. ;)

I hope you get a new camera soon though, lol. Those phone pics probably don't do it justice.

I like the look of it with the flagstone, actually. It's unique in a vast sea of biocubes. ;)

I hope you get a new camera soon though, lol. Those phone pics probably don't do it justice.

lol no it doesn't

what camera do you recommend?

not too expensive though beginner's one

lol no it doesn't

what camera do you recommend?

not too expensive though beginner's one

The Rebel XTi makes a great beginners camera. I used my Digital Rebel for years before upgrading to the 40D. You can get one on Ebay pretty cheap too.

thanks Opy and DoubleD. i need to look for one quick. i got to take more pics and some of the 37 gal too! i just added an ORA birds nest and small frags of sunset monti caps and i rearranged a little bit.

Desert rocks from prehistoric sandbeds....hmmmm........ i think i need to go get more and start cycling them. there are piles the size of houses just lying around in the empty lot.

thanks Opy and DoubleD. i need to look for one quick. i got to take more pics and some of the 37 gal too! i just added an ORA birds nest and small frags of sunset monti caps and i rearranged a little bit.

Desert rocks from prehistoric sandbeds....hmmmm........ i think i need to go get more and start cycling them. there are piles the size of houses just lying around in the empty lot.

That's what I read on the signs out by Valley of Fire anyway. :)

Tanks looking good man...

stay wet...keep diving...

thanks!

i'm trying to stay wet! it's hard when you live in a desert. :lol: i stopped at recue diver. i will have to continue when things get better.

and to coolwater

you should be fine with 20 leds on that 20 gal.

i have 20 on the 10 gal on working on now! :) almost done. just need to finish the canopy and put in the uv's

9 cw 9 rb @ 1000mA & 2 uv @ 700mA

wow at 1Amp on each? might not last as long as specs says be still a lot longer then those MH bulbs.

also below 80F is ideal...but if its a hot day its really hard. if u cant detect any heat with your fingers then your good.

First lemme say that i love your avatar, and the thought of it is very tempting at times(hides from wife). Second I love your flagstone, i think it's an excellent growing platform for zoanthids! And i used to live in Vegas, go to Fry's Electronics for me /cry. Sadly that is the thing i miss most about living there hehe.

And my first child was made in Vegas so not everything in Vegas stays in Vegas :D

First lemme say that i love your avatar, and the thought of it is very tempting at times(hides from wife). Second I love your flagstone, i think it's an excellent growing platform for zoanthids! And i used to live in Vegas, go to Fry's Electronics for me /cry. Sadly that is the thing i miss most about living there hehe.

And my first child was made in Vegas so not everything in Vegas stays in Vegas :D

:bowdown::haha:

i will do that for you next time i go to Fry's( i cry too because i spend of of my money or because i cant afford the next big toy like the new LED tv's......sweeeetuh!). i'll take a pic of the big Fry's slot machine in the front. haha.

thanks also for the compliment on the avatar. i love my wife but you just can't beat great scuba gear! (as i make sure she is still sleeping)

as for living in vegas, is was only supposed to be here for a couple of years and then move back to Florida. that was 9 years ago. :lol: at least if i did ever go back to miami, i will have tiger direct close by.

wow at 1Amp on each? might not last as long as specs says be still a lot longer then those MH bulbs.

also below 80F is ideal...but if its a hot day its really hard. if u cant detect any heat with your fingers then your good.

well in the 14bc, i have 4 fans in there and it stays pretty cool to the touch

also on the 10 gal, i'm going to add 2 120mm fans to the top of the heatsink and they are only 20db ea. those 2 fans should keep things pretty cool.

sweet tank dude! was wondering how the flagstone would turn out in terms of leaching stuff and look, but it looks great!

look at the new sony DSLR's for a good entry level camera. if you dont want DSLR, ive had good luck with samsung point and shoot.

• 5 weeks later...
so hows the tank been? update fts?

what's up dude! i just got my new camera today! :lol:

i went with another fujifilm camera. this is a 10MP (fuji fx-s-1500 $200) but it has a supermacro feature which lets you take macro shots upto 1 cm away. i cant wait to get home to try it out. the tank has been okay and i have added some acans and a birdsnest to it since then but the galaxea is slowly bitting the dust. i probably dont feed enough. i dipped it in iodine and nothing. but i will take new FTS as soon as possible with new macro shots of the other corals now that i got a decent camera. i looked into the dslr's and couldn't justify the cost for those. plus i cant afford one at this time.

thanks for checking in. how's your going?!

ANYTHING is better than a camera phone. I don't know why they keep pushing the MP up on those. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. Still a pig.

• 2 weeks later...

well here's some updated photos with a decent camera this time. i was impressed by the macro feature on the fujifilm1500 camera but i know jack about cameras and photo taking.

IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/deepdvnarq/14bc/2009_09270038.jpg[/img]

2009_09270039.jpg

2009_09270041.jpg

2009_09270048.jpg

2009_09270047.jpg

2009_09270045.jpg

2009_09270044.jpg

2009_09270067.jpg

2009_09270057.jpg

2009_09270063.jpg

2009_09270062.jpg

2009_09270060.jpg

2009_09270061.jpg

2009_09270082.jpg

2009_09270072.jpg

2009_09270096.jpg

2009_09270100.jpg

i have cleaned up the tank even more since these pics and almost all of the fuzz is gone. slacked off on maintenence for a while.

It's about time! It only took a WEEK to reply. lmao just playin. Those pics looks great. Now we just need updated pics with no fuzzies :lol: .

It's about time! It only took a WEEK to reply. lmao just playin. Those pics looks great. Now we just need updated pics with no fuzzies :lol: .

it will come......soon! :D

Archived