Cultivated Reef

eswong's Cube of Awesome! (Tons of Pics!)

eswong

So after much persuasion from a buddy, I went out and bought a 28 gallon Nano Cube CF Quad. I had been wanting one for awhile, but I am still pretty new to aquaria. I bought my fist tank nearly 5 months ago, and now including the nano we have 5 fish tanks in our 1200 square foot house. 4 are freshwater, I know its lame, but like I said I'm new to this.

On to the Nano!

I purchased the tank and stand 07/03/2009. I brought them home, set them up, and filled the tank up with tap water. Then I added dechlorinator and the salt, and let that mix up over night.

I live in Indy, so the next day I went to Premium Aquatics, bought a little over 20 pounds of their aqua-cultured sand, and 22-23 pounds of premium live rock from Timpora and Bali.

SaltwaterTank001.jpg

Sorry this pic sucks.

Within a few days I had stuff coming up everywhere!

SaltwaterTank002.jpg

SaltwaterTank003.jpg

SaltwaterTank008.jpg

I took out the bio-rings and all the sponges from the overflow, I mean all of them! Put in some filter floss and let it do it's thing.

7/6/09 Did a water test : Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 10 ppm, P.H. 8.3-8.4, theses were the only test I had at that time. A few days later, I had an algae explosion!! So I figured I was close to the end on the initial cycle.

So on 7/11/09 I added the following CUC members: 10 Margarita snails, 10 Nassarius snails, 3 Red scarlet hermits, and 3 Baha hermits They went to town, lost a couple Margaritas and a scarlet a couple days in.

7/13/09 Water test: Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 5ppm, P.H. 8.3-8.4. Did a 5 gallon water change, now using RO/DI water and Instant Ocean reef crystals. The Algae kept growing and taking over the tank.

so on 7/18/09 add a second wave of CUC members: 10 Nerite snails, 8 Cerith snails, 3 Trochus, 1 butterscotch snail, 2 more Baha Hermits, and a Red Skunk cleaner shrimp

SaltwaterTank023.jpg

lost the Butterscotch the next day.

After Adding these guys, a put in some purigen, phosguard, and some active carbon.

7/19/09 Did 5 gallon water change, I do a 5 gallon RO/DI water change every Sunday from now on, so I wont mention it again. I will mention I have switched to Oceanic Salt. This stuff is awesome! No more waiting a week for crystals to dissolve.

7/21/09 Got my reef test kit, here are the results: Calcium 460ppm, KH 196.9ppm or 11dKH, Phosphates 0ppm, Nitrates 5ppm

SaltwaterTank033.jpg

CUC doing a great job, against better judgment added a few soft corals. I only did this because I had hitchhiker polyps and zoas actively reproducing all over the place. Pods covering my glass, and I really believe my tank has completed the initial cycle.

Check my cleaner eating out of my fingers!

SaltwaterTank036.jpg

7/23/09 Added the first fish! A PJ Cardinal

7/29/07 Water Test: Calcium 460ppm, KH 179ppm or 10dKH, Phosphate 0ppm, Nitrates 0ppm!

Check it out

I haven't lost anything but 3 snails and 2 hermits, All my corals are going crazy!

SaltwaterTank099.jpg

All I have to Say it that Premium Aquatics live rock and sand is the SH*T!!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some hitchhikers that we have found so far, I think and hope most are cool, I'm watching them. If anyone can shed some light that would be great.

SaltwaterTank025.jpg

Little Crab, Have at least 2 of these.

SaltwaterTank041.jpg

SaltwaterTank042.jpg

I guess this is a flatworm

SaltwaterTank054.jpg

That same nudibranch

SaltwaterTank049.jpg

SaltwaterTank057.jpg

A type or macro algae?

SaltwaterTank060.jpg

purple stuff? Dragons tongue ?

SaltwaterTank068.jpg

Purple stuff? Macro? Branching Coraline? also that same above nudibranch

Oh yeah the PJ Cardinal!

SaltwaterTank081.jpg

Looking good my friend. Who is the buddy that kept pushing you to get the reef tank and step over to the darkside? :P Nice pics I need to work on my picture taking.See you tomorrow in the a.m.

Brad

The nudi looks like a zoa predator type.

Nice rocks!

:o It better not eat those new Zoas I just gave you.

I'm going to get 2 True Percula Clownfish tomorrow, or Saturday. Or what every strikes my fancy at Premium Aquatics

Some more pics!

SaltwaterTank102.jpg

Left Side

SaltwaterTank104.jpg

Right Side

SaltwaterTank113.jpg

Some Zoas my Buddy Brad gave me, cause he is the man. Oh and me and my girlfriend's favorite snail.

SaltwaterTank096.jpg

Some sort of Xenia, I think. Anyone know?

more after the new fish

Water test Thursday: Ph8.2, Nitrate 5ppm, Calcium 420ppm, KH 9/ 161.1ppm, Phosphate 0ppm

Brad I think you were right.

Here are some new pics.

SaltwaterTank001.jpg

SaltwaterTank013.jpg

SaltwaterTank016.jpg

Thanks Brad! For these Zoas. I think the one on the left is a Zoa...

Oh and Thanks for these Brad

SaltwaterTank019.jpg

The 3 on the left that is. The pink one is a little weird.

I am really pleased with the 28 Nano CF Quad. I am new to reefing so time will tell. My buddy bought a 29g Biocube, had it running for about a month,then talked me into buying the quad. I was very close to buying the hqi, but glad i didn't. I keep my house about 70-74 degrees, The quad by itself gets up to 82-83 degrees, hotter then I want to run it. So I bought an Azoo Quad fan and i have it blowing in to the back chamber, Now my temp gets to 80 at the hottest part of the day.

I just wish I could get some feedback on what I can keep in there! Like clams? SPS?

So, Sunday 9-16-09 Did a water test before I did my weekly water change, Everything good, but 0ppm Nitrates! What!

So today Added 2 fish. A green clown goby, and a yellow watchman goby. I am at fish full capacity.

Some Pics...

SaltwaterTank023.jpg

SaltwaterTank028.jpg

SaltwaterTank038.jpg

SaltwaterTank040.jpg

Can you find the goby?

Some more pics!

SaltwaterTank102.jpg

Left Side

what is that powerhead lookin thingy on the right side of the pic??? very nice so far! awesomeness on all the hitchhikers you gotz! arent you glad someone tied your hands behind your back, put a gun to your head and forced you into reefing! lol :P cant wait to see more!!!

Archived