Coral Vue Hydros

Unofficial nano-reef 12" cube contest

simplenough

simplenough

You can click on the contestants links below to follow their progress

An official starting date will be decided soon!

-Contestants have the option of having a raised (for media rack) or lowered (for fuge) baffle. If you want it raise make sure to PM me or post in the thread; otherwise you will get a lowered baffle.

Ok, although the contest has yet to start i decided to create a thread for this so i can list the rules, dates and hopefully get more people interested.

If you want to join, here is the link

This contest is based around the idea that everyone starts with the same exact aquarium, same dimensions, material, false wall, etc. (most of which are being built by erickrm)

Rules:

-spending limit of $250 for livestock, if you are taking livestock from another system you own then you must make a "reasonable" estimate as to how much it is worth.

-no sumps allowed, the tank must be an AIO, with the same exact design as the one's erickrm is building. No adding HOB fuges, canister filter's, etc. to avoid adding volume

-"The contest is a 12" AIO cube contest, this doesn't need to be more difficult than need be, use the area in the tank that makes this an AIO for your pump, filtration etc and that's it. This isn't the here's a cube add 400 million outside extra's contest." This will be taken into account when judging for the aquariums is done.

- Winner will be decided by a poll at the end of the contest,

-no restrictions on lighting or other hardware in terms of price.

-everyone starts on the same day, to assure this you will be asked to place a random item in your empty tank, the day before the supposed starting date, and take a picture.

-an FTS update of your aquarium is required every two weeks for the first five months and weekly for the last month, although the more updates the better.

- The contest will last 6 months.

- You can build you own aquarium as long as it is the same exact dimensions, material, design, as the one's erickrm is building, if you have any questions in regards to this, PM erickrm. It has to be EXACTLY the same. Also, if you build your own, you are not eligible for the prize.

-DEADLINE TO PAY ERICKRM IS JULY 31st

- I will post a starting date for the contest as soon as erickrm has shipped out the tanks.

This is the list of people that have paid and are participating, so far. (if you are definitely participating and are not on the list post on here so i can add you)

-harthag

-Isakshu

-Simplenough

-nosser

-Bluefunelement

-JoeD

-lajz9 (raised baffle to run media rack)

-shoot me I explode

-haysee777

-bob21115 (eaise the baffle to run a media rack)

-Watts (raise the baffle to run a media rack)

-JavaJacketOC

-Doc Frye (raise the baffle to run a media rack)

-1337TANKHAX (raised baffle for media rack)

-jaygalindo

-jokercykoe

-scooternerd (building his own)

-wljimbo

- thelastlaugh9

Once again if you wish to participate, here is the link to the GB of the 12" cubes.

That's all i can think of for now. Any recommendations are welcome. This is my first time organizing something like this so i'm sure i must have left something out

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bluefunelement

I'm not in it to win it as I think my livestock budget will be less then $100- however it's like spec racing in that everyone will have clever ideas to improve it and I hope we can share those so we all improve vs just keeping it veiled till the judges appear -

So in that good spirit I'll start by saying I'm planning to start with a 12" current 2x18watt dual satellite I picked up recently as it runs cool and that's 5watt/g ... It doesn't come with fans but has the holes for them so I'm thinking of adding them to help.. It's legs are adjustable so it'll fit for sure.. Might do a canopy still but this is a perfect fit for these...

Anyone planning LED or MH for their's?

Christian

simplenough

I plan on using a mh since i have an extra retro set up that im not using; just going to change it to DE since its currently SE..

Shoot Me_I Explode

This will be my first participation in a contest. I missed the last two contests due to being at school in the dorms and could not set up another tank. I am in the process of building a canopy for the tank, in it will be two 27watt pc lights taken from my old 12 gallon aquapod hood. I’ve had several pounds of rock and sand cycling in a 10 gallon tank for several weeks now in anticipation of setting up the 10 gallon so I will simply move that rock and sand into the cube when it arrives and hopefully not experience a cycle or a limited cycle at that.

As for livestock list I’m thinking nothing to fancy, most likely the tank will be zoa dominated with some macro algae in the display and one fish or a mantis. Beside that I just need to buy new bulbs and a heater and wait for the tank to arrive.

bluefunelement

So I have both mj900/1200 and they are the same size-anyone think the 1200 will be too much?

Are we allowed to bore out the cylinders.. ahem.. I mean overflow?

Also have a Knano to put in if that's not too much also?

Can I suggest we each make our own tank threads for it & than provide the links so it can be added to the original first post here, that way If I want to follow a specific tank along I don't have to wade thru 8 other tanks & a billion pages of posts? Erick said he's going to ship the tanks out at the same time so I don't know if putting an object in to mark the start would matter, if someone gets a 1 day advantage no biggie, i know some people already have stands made, rocks cured, etc so they're already ahead of some of us.

Since some people are providing info I'm probably not making a stand per say, but I am trying to find a 13" piece of granite from say a kitchen sink cutout to sit the tank on, figure a nice green or blue would look nice & since it's in the basement the granite should keep the tank cold from the MH pendant hanging over it. I've been lazy so far though & only asked Home Depot, for what it's worth they don't have them. If I can't find some I'll make some sort of stand out of ceramic tile.

-Ian

simplenough

yea we will definitely be making separate thread; this thread was just to lay out the rules, and share opinions, before the actual contest starts; once the contest starts everyone will make their own threads. As for putting the random item in the tank, that is just to assure that the people that are making their own tanks dont get an early start.

I love the idea of this contest. If Friday's paycheck yields a little extra money I may just have to put in a last minute order. I have an extra 70w Viper and Koralia Nano. Either way, I'll be following along.

simplenough

bob, just make sure to PM erickrm before friday and send him the payment, unless you plan on building your own, then pm him anyways to get the dimensions.

here's the link to the cube gb: link

Quick clarification - we can not add chambers in the back? I don't want to do anything to Eric's work - no drilling, overflows, etc... - was just contemplating puting in one extra piece of acrylic. Doesn't make much of a difference to me - just want to make sure I follow the rules :)

I'm in! I was thinking about upgrading my Pico so this will be a perfect excuse. I PM'd erickrm and will send payment as soon as I hear back.

simplenough

isakshu, i took out the chambers part since i guess it would be fine as long as the volume and looks of the aquarium arent changed. The main thing is for everyone to start with the same thing, i guess adding a chamber is fine, just, like i said, no direct altering of the aquarium, such as adding volume to it in any way, or changing how it looks.

Edit: also i updated the list of who is in the contest. if you dont see yourself on there and you are going to participate please post.

Once again the deadline to pay erickrm is THIS friday.

bob, just make sure to PM erickrm before friday and send him the payment, unless you plan on building your own, then pm him anyways to get the dimensions.

here's the link to the cube gb: link

Thanks already did....

simplenough

a closed loop only adds the amount that fits in the plumbing, while a hang on back fuge gives you more space for filtration and can add a lot of volume depending on the size. It could be used to act, in a way, as a sump and takes away from the AIO concept..

Shoot Me_I Explode

I agree, adding a hang on the back fuge can seriously increase the percentage of total system volume when dealing with a tank of this size. People should also have to post pictures of their closed loops so they do not add a massive amount of piping in a bazaar attempt to increase the system volume.

I agree, adding a hang on the back fuge can seriously increase the percentage of total system volume when dealing with a tank of this size. People should also have to post pictures of their closed loops so they do not add a massive amount of piping in a bazaar attempt to increase the system volume.

I was just thinking the same thing. What if someone use a ton of pipe in their closed loop.

patrick1234
I was just thinking the same thing. What if someone use a ton of pipe in their closed loop.

I was thinking I was going to use 3 10ft sticks of 1in

I love the idea of this contest. If Friday's paycheck yields a little extra money I may just have to put in a last minute order. I have an extra 70w Viper and Koralia Nano. Either way, I'll be following along.

Interested in the viper if you want to sell it... I'll buy your tank for you....

Also I just paid for my tank..... I'm definitely in...

Archived