ReefCleaners.org

Downgraded to a 40 breeder... thread. PICS!

itzclayyo

Hello NR. I'm downgrading my 135 reef to a 40 breeder and keeping the 135 as an aggressive aquarium. My wife and children keep nagging me about triggers and what not so now they can get them hehe...

I'm moving about 40 lbs. of rock and all the corals and small fish into the 40 breeder so it should be pretty packed from the start. The tangs are going to stay in the 135.

Fish List:

6-line wrasse

Yellow Watchmen Goby

Hi-Fin Banded Goby

Yellow Candy Hogfish

Blood Fire Shrimp

Cleaner Shrimp

Lighting: 150 watt 10k mh, 2x65 watt pc actinics. May add more actinics, haven't decided.

Filtration: Undecided

So yep, that's about it. Here's some pics. Gonna build the stand today.

40Breeder1.jpg

40Breeder3.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This shouyld turn out nicely from the start. Can't wait to see how this comes along for you.

Thanks man! And yea hopefully it turns out well. I don't know what to do for filtration though -_-

I really don't want to drill the tank, but I left room in the stand for a sump. (Just built the frame of the stand, pics coming soon!)

Thanks man! And yea hopefully it turns out well. I don't know what to do for filtration though -_-

I really don't want to drill the tank, but I left room in the stand for a sump. (Just built the frame of the stand, pics coming soon!)

Yoooooo Clay ... what's up? How you been doing?! What happened to the 135?! I just upgraded to a 120G ... Thinking of just keeping LPS and softies and a few SPS I am not home much these days so I can't give the SPS the proper attention they deserve ... lol

Yoooooo Clay ... what's up? How you been doing?! What happened to the 135?! I just upgraded to a 120G ... Thinking of just keeping LPS and softies and a few SPS I am not home much these days so I can't give the SPS the proper attention they deserve ... lol

Hey David! It's been okay around here, pretty busy as you can tell I haven't been posting to often. I got into a car crash, the car was totalled (got hit from the rear). I'm fine, luckily, didn't have a scratch on me! The other driver was fine as well. So that's what's been keeping me away from good ol' NR!

That's awesome that you upgraded to a 120!! I'm sure you'll love it even without all the sps :D

What do you think for filtration for this tank? I really do not want to drill it. I may get a HOB overflow, who knows.

Oh and my 135 is going to be an aggressive tank. It should be awesome, I'm really looking forward to building it. A few triggers, large angel, big wrasse, and who knows maybe even an eel!

Hey David! It's been okay around here, pretty busy as you can tell I haven't been posting to often. I got into a car crash, the car was totalled (got hit from the rear). I'm fine, luckily, didn't have a scratch on me! The other driver was fine as well. So that's what's been keeping me away from good ol' NR!

That's awesome that you upgraded to a 120!! I'm sure you'll love it even without all the sps :D

What do you think for filtration for this tank? I really do not want to drill it. I may get a HOB overflow, who knows.

Oh and my 135 is going to be an aggressive tank. It should be awesome, I'm really looking forward to building it. A few triggers, large angel, big wrasse, and who knows maybe even an eel!

OMG ... WOW ... that is HORRIBLE?!!! Are you ok (well obviously you are ok now but when it happened)? Was there anyone else in the car?! I am so sorry to hear this! 5th person I know to get in such an accident ... :(

AC110 mod that baby up ... keep it simple ... little fuge and such ... lots of LR for natural filtration ... you know how it goes ...

That 135 is going to be sweet ... I want to get a Majestic Angel ... I love them ... or a Blue Face ... but I am sure they will tear my corals apart ... I tried 10 years ago ... I had to dismantle the tank ... lol ... Clown Triggers are GORGEOUS!!! :D

I am going to love the fact that I won't have to work as hard for the tank without all those SPS ... LPS are so awesome ... they give great movement to the tank ... and less demanding ... busy year ahead of me ... I am barely home at the moment anyways ... so the easier the better! I want to get a giant toadstool ... that would be awesome!!!

-David

OMG ... WOW ... that is HORRIBLE?!!! Are you ok (well obviously you are ok now but when it happened)? Was there anyone else in the car?! I am so sorry to hear this! 5th person I know to get in such an accident ... :(

AC110 mod that baby up ... keep it simple ... little fuge and such ... lots of LR for natural filtration ... you know how it goes ...

That 135 is going to be sweet ... I want to get a Majestic Angel ... I love them ... or a Blue Face ... but I am sure they will tear my corals apart ... I tried 10 years ago ... I had to dismantle the tank ... lol ... Clown Triggers are GORGEOUS!!! :D

I am going to love the fact that I won't have to work as hard for the tank without all those SPS ... LPS are so awesome ... they give great movement to the tank ... and less demanding ... busy year ahead of me ... I am barely home at the moment anyways ... so the easier the better! I want to get a giant toadstool ... that would be awesome!!!

-David

Luckily, it was just me and the other driver on the way to work at a stop light. My car lost to his truck though :angry: , took out the the whole rear bumper and most of the trunk, and of course the tail-lights. wasn't worth the repair either, a guy bought it off of me locally.

I'll see what filters I got up in the attic, I may have an AC110, if not I'm sure I have some other filter that could work.

I actually really want a Clown Trigger in the 135! Im just nervous because from what I've read they are a more aggressive trigger then most. I'm also worried about my tangs, (yellow and blue), that have been in hostile environments since I've had them (1.5 years about). They're each about 4-5" though, and pretty quick but seem so fragile.

Here's the frame of the stand. Made out of pressure treated 2x6's that I've had in the attic forever!!

I'm going to be adding the body of it tomorrow as well as the doors, trim, etc.

Ignore all the lights lol, brought those down from the attic as well.

40Breeder001.jpg

40Breeder003.jpg

Stands pretty much done at this point. I brought the front and side panels up 1.5" to cover the rim of the aquarium.

I used Satin Black spraypaint and some funky texture spraypaint for the door. I think it came out quite nice. It's been raining all day so the trim didn't dry yet.

40Breeder002.jpg

40Breeder003-1.jpg

40Breeder006.jpg

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Thanks man haha

this is definitely gonna come out nice. all the corals from a 135 into a 40... WOOH!

Thank you, I really hope it does! It should fill it near full right from the start. I'm gonna try to leave some room though lol.

Do you guys think it would be ok to add the coral at the same time as the rock if I fill the tank with new salt water, and then use the rock from my 135 and new sand? For filtration I'm thinking of just building a small compartment in the back and putting cheato and filter pads. It would also be a great way to hide a pump!

Great start. Have you decided on filtration yet? I am planning my 40B right now, I also do not really want to drill it as of now. I have a new AC110 that has been modded into a fuge and was also thinking that I will add a cpr aquafuge when I can find a decent deal on them. Curious to see what you are gonna end up doing. Good luck to you.

Great start. Have you decided on filtration yet? I am planning my 40B right now, I also do not really want to drill it as of now. I have a new AC110 that has been modded into a fuge and was also thinking that I will add a cpr aquafuge when I can find a decent deal on them. Curious to see what you are gonna end up doing. Good luck to you.

Thanks, and no I haven't made any decisions on filtration right now. I have a skimmer laying around that I would like to use but again I don't want to drill it.

I may end up having a lot of flow and just natural filtration with water changes done weekly. Either that or make it into an AIO.

So I finished the stand and I really don't like the way it came out. I'm gonna re-do some of the trim and see how I like it. Another trip to Lowes.........

Have the canopy mostly built. Just need to put the front piece on and the hinges, then paint it. Pics will come soon.

It's only 1ft. tall and it seems giant haha. I guess it's because it's on a pretty tall stand.

So here's the canopy on it. It obviously needs to be painted lol. I think I'm going to take some trim off of the stand as well. I may shorted the canopy also, it seems extremely high (only 12" above tank rim).

The trim on the stand has to be re-done as well, I went overboard with it I think.

012.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

Please give me some opinions!!!

twelve volt pro

Looks almost exactly like my canopy, except I only left about a 4 inch gap running the span of the back to prevent little fishies from jumping out. Looks good, man!

Looks almost exactly like my canopy, except I only left about a 4 inch gap running the span of the back to prevent little fishies from jumping out. Looks good, man!

I was considering doing that but I decided to leave the back open for ventilation.

I'm considering cutting the canopy a few inches shorter, it seems wicked tall how it is!

hooligan_78
I was considering doing that but I decided to leave the back open for ventilation.

I'm considering cutting the canopy a few inches shorter, it seems wicked tall how it is!

You could put a panel on the back, cut some holes, and install some fans for ventilation. Just my 2 cents.

twelve volt pro

Yea, mine defiantly has the "top hot" look to it, which I dont like. I have a 175w MH thats only sitting about 8 inches off the water now, I dont dare take it lower. I guess I have to deal with it. Even with it sitting that low, my tank never goes ever 79 degrees, and that is with the MHs, the fuge light, and the heater on. Like I said, all I have is a little slit going the length of the tank in the back.

itzclay,

Tank will look great I'm sure. I'm impressed with your resourceful sourcing & assembling of the stand materials!

I'm sure you're really going to like the 40b... A lot of people really like that tank and I think your taller stand will show it off well.

Keep us posted!@

Archived