ReefCleaners.org

Bonsaii Frag Tank-Back Up! sortof

akabryanhall

akabryanhall

So I have this group I started in Central Florida called AFAC, basic premis is we pool our money, buy a very expensive frag, grow it out, frag and distribute. I am putting together this frag tank that was donated to the cause by one of the participants. I want to do a bonsaii style tank with base rock and foam.

Here is the tank

IMG_2271.jpg

And Modified PC light system

CIMG5599.jpg

CIMG5600.jpg

CIMG5594.jpg

Here are some of the materials, think I may substitute base rock for the beach pebbles, cause I'm not sure what they might leach into the water, but I need something heavy to try to keep the foam down.

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

Cut out basic shapes

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

Time to trace and cut

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

Test placement

IMG_2282.jpg

More to come..

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
akabryanhall

Thanks I wont use it. The crate is to put the base rock rubble down and fill the channels with foam, create a platform of sorts.

What do you mean by "very expensive frags"? If you are getting into sps, you are killing yourself right from the start with the PCs.

Yea, since you're all pooling money to get particular coral to grow enough to be fraggable, you'll want more intense lighting. The better the growth, the more effective the system you've all set up will be.

So, are you going to be the guy handling all the coral, or is it spread out between the members of the wonder team? I'm kind of curious about the specifics, it sounds like it would be something I could get involved with.

The tank also seems like its going to be preety sweet.

gulfsurfer101

Hey if your going to ghetto style on this tank and need a cheap mh fixture I have a very used sunpod I can sell your for cheap.

Are those "wood" dowel pins? If so, what are you using those for?

This sounds like a great way to get LE frags for a great price!!! B)

akabryanhall
What do you mean by "very expensive frags"? If you are getting into sps, you are killing yourself right from the start with the PCs.

As of now, not all of us can grow sps, so we are only doing lps, mostly chalices, but have gotton acans, dendro and favia.

akabryanhall
Yea, since you're all pooling money to get particular coral to grow enough to be fraggable, you'll want more intense lighting. The better the growth, the more effective the system you've all set up will be.

So, are you going to be the guy handling all the coral, or is it spread out between the members of the wonder team? I'm kind of curious about the specifics, it sounds like it would be something I could get involved with.

The tank also seems like its going to be preety sweet.

I know we should get more lighting, but this is what we got right now, this is still in its infancy, I would get people to help me buy the lighting, but there are different people in every buy. I would like to get people to chip in one month for lighting instead of a coral.

I have been the one taking care of the coral, nerve racking to be sure. Its the main reason to set up the frag tank, so i can get them out of my tank and I can concentrate on the frags.

I don't think it will be a problem if you want to join up. Follow our progress on afac.webnode.com. I need to update the site, but will do it in a few days. If after a while you feel comfortable with the setup, we would love to have this movement spread.

Hey if your going to ghetto style on this tank and need a cheap mh fixture I have a very used sunpod I can sell your for cheap.

Thank you for the offer. How much are you selling it for?

Do you ever go wake surfing?

Are those "wood" dowel pins? If so, what are you using those for?

This sounds like a great way to get LE frags for a great price!!! B)

The wood dowel pins are to make indentions in the foam when its drying to put frag plugs in nice and securely. It is a great way to get le stuff cheap, there is a downside though..some of these can take up to a year to grow out enough to frag for 6 or 7 people. I started it also as a way to meet more reefers.

supertech99

i have a great frag of G.A.R.F. purple bonsai inder just 4 t-5's with crap bulbs on a 75. Its beautiful and growing well. the G.A.R.F. frags are "acclimated" to mild intensity lighting that covers the full spectrum so their growth is good under varying lighting conditions. Put them high and you should be alright with the pc's. but i am sure a MH would probally grow them faster.

I wouldn't be as concerned about lighting if you're staying away from most SPS for now. PC can handle the LPS you seem to be focusing on, no problem. I'd just be concerned that the colors would fade a little before shipping the frags to other members of the group buy. Still, no biggie.

I'll be sure to follow that along.

akabryanhall

Soo spent another $85 bucks and got some more stuff, water, live rock and base rock, oh and new filters for our filters.

Here is one of the pieces of base rock

IMG_2400.jpg

both ready to get smashed

IMG_2401.jpg

After

IMG_2402.jpg

This is kinda what I wanted as far as design

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

Time to Place rock

IMG_2403.jpg

And apply foam

IMG_2404.jpg

Finished! (got to let harden for a couple days before putting into tank.)

IMG_2405.jpg

BTW, the wooden dowels ended up being useless as this stuff is Super sticky when soft, nothing gets inserted without getting stuck ( kinda like some situations I've been in before....) Will just end up using a drill to drill holes for plugs

Looks cool... I also like the idea of pooling money to purchase expensive corals... Although in my case I honestly don't know if I could wait that long to see the return on my investment... I would probably just front the money and maybe have some buyers lined up (maybe a small deposit?) for when it's fraggable.

Lastly, I'll try to find it, but be sure to seal the foam up... A lot of people have done a similar thing with back walls & such, but it seems that in every build I've seen they seal the foam with something, maybe an epoxy paint? Anyways, good luck.

akabryanhall
Looks cool... I also like the idea of pooling money to purchase expensive corals... Although in my case I honestly don't know if I could wait that long to see the return on my investment... I would probably just front the money and maybe have some buyers lined up (maybe a small deposit?) for when it's fraggable.

Lastly, I'll try to find it, but be sure to seal the foam up... A lot of people have done a similar thing with back walls & such, but it seems that in every build I've seen they seal the foam with something, maybe an epoxy paint? Anyways, good luck.

Thats not a bad deal either. It can be a long time to wait, and the coral will have come down in price by the time its fraggable, but it doesn't have to take more than 6 months for some of the quicker growing frags. i was told that the foam does not need to be sealed, but am strongly thinking about doing it. The only thing I'm concerned about is sealing the inside walls of the holes I drill.

I know now not to use a fiberglass resin.

Nick's Reef

Bryan, I know you let me be part of AFAC, although i haven't bought anything. I need to check the site and see what the next thing you guys want to buy is. Also, if you want a mh I have fixture that I sold then it got damaged in shipping only thing wrong is acintics don't work but the halide is fine except it needs a new bulb. if your interested pm and we can work something out.

akabryanhall

Hey Nick, long time no speak to! Glad you came, I got 3 things..

I ended up paying 2 for two people on this last buy to keep the costs down for others, so if you want in you can use this page to send me $22. It will be for a piece of Tyrees Superman Chalice.

Second, do I need to seal the foam with epoxy, and if so, what should I use.

Third, I will send you a pm on the MH.

I will check up on your tank in a sec.

Your pebble rock has h1n1 watch out.

Thanks I wont use it.

:haha:

OK.. In all seriousness - I'm not sure I'm getting your design with the egg crate.

akabryanhall
:haha:

OK.. In all seriousness - I'm not sure I'm getting your design with the egg crate.

Thats cool, I presume you've seen my updated pics and are still confused. the design was to serve two purposes, one, I wanted two levels to try to accommodate the light needs of different corals, and making them thinner in the middle allows for the two levels with minimal shading, the second was aesthetic reasons, i guess getting it is secondary :P .

Nick's Reef
Hey Nick, long time no speak to! Glad you came, I got 3 things..

I ended up paying 2 for two people on this last buy to keep the costs down for others, so if you want in you can use this page to send me $22. It will be for a piece of Tyrees Superman Chalice.

Second, do I need to seal the foam with epoxy, and if so, what should I use.

Third, I will send you a pm on the MH.

I will check up on your tank in a sec.

Epoxy is needed, and if it's not to late don't do the wall, mine eff'd up my water and caused algae. Right now I'm not adding corals, waiting til' I get everythign fixed then get my sps collection back up to par sicne I klilled everythign during the tank switch.

akabryanhall

Sorry to hear about that. I wont be foaming the wall, just the shelves. What kind of epoxy should I use? Where can i get it?

Nick's Reef
Sorry to hear about that. I wont be foaming the wall, just the shelves. What kind of epoxy should I use? Where can i get it?

either z-poxy or I used bondo fiberglass resin. I think home depot has both.

Archived