Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rockfish's own custom creation

Rockfish

So, I know that the Red Sea Max is a great tank, but for some reason the AIO thing just doesn't do it for me. So I decided to drop some money in to some thing that I designed and thought out on my own like I have for years before I got lazy..... :D

so just a bit of background info before I load this thread up with pics....

the tank was custom made by World Class Aquarium in Brooklyn NY

specs are: 24"x24"x13.5"H which comes out to roughly 33 gallons

3/8" glass

and a custom 18 gallon refugium

I will be using this tank for mainly a zoa/clam setup so i'll be hanging a 250 watt MH over it

also a 1/10 Hp chiller and some other stuff i'll post when i update the equipment list

I wanted to post some pics before the tank was set-up and on the stand (will be built this week end with pics of that to follow)

so.....this is my official tank thread.....now on with some beginner pics....any comments/questions or anything else is welcomed and appreciated

141.jpg

140.jpg

128.jpg

138.jpg

137.jpg

129.jpg

143.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

146.jpg

144.jpg

well, that's it for now.....i'll update this weekend when i build the stand......thanks for looking and comment so I know how i'm doin'

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that. is. beautiful!!!!! im freekin impressed.... :D

thanks....yea like i said i'll have an equipment list and pics from the stand build this weekend most likely.....right now i'm just gathering all the parts i need to get it plumbed and running.....i'm gonna transfer most of what I have in my RSM to this tank and then sell it for cheap..... :D:D

but thanks for the comments guys......keep em' coming.....i'd love to hear more opinions and suggestions......really

looks really nice.. what are all those super tiny baffles for in the sump?

just a little reinforcement for the bottom in case you want to do a DSB of either sand or miricale mud.....in the case of a nano though all that's going to be in there are some small pieces of LR and a big ball of chaeto

• 1 month later...

So, it's been a while since my last update of this tank and i actually have a good reason.....I don't have a camera!! LOL......hey at least it's a good reason.

so before i post new pics i just wanted to give an equipment and livestock list

Current Equipment:

• Tank: Custom shallow rimless (24X24X13.5) comes out to 33.7 gallons
  • Sump: Custom 18 gallon refugium (24X10.5X17)

• Return: Internal overflow box with Durso standpipe setup
  • Return Pump: Mag-drive 9.5 (950 GPH running wide open)
  • Circulation: Vortech MP10 set on reef crest mode at about 60%
  • Lighting: 250 watt MH system with 8 lunar lights
    14K Phoenix bulb and a 250 watt icecap ballast
  • Skimmer: Coralife super skimmer rated for tanks up to 125 gallons (i've heard mixed things about these skimmers but this one works flawlessly for me)
  • Heater: 150 watt Rena Top light titanium heater
  • Chiller: Aqua Euro 1/13 HP chiller
  • R/O D/I : AirWaterIce 75 GPD 5 stage r/o d/i unit
  • Overall tank volume (icluding sand, rock, ect) 44.7 gallons

Ok.....as for the livestock:

• Rock: 35lbs of fiji rock
  • Sand: 80lbs of Agralive live reef sand (Bimini pink)
  • Assorted Zoas (too many to name and i'm no good with the names anyway)
  • Soft Coral: leathers, Mushrooms, and some polyps
  • Clams: 2 maxima, 1 Derasa, 2 crocea
  • Fish: True Percula Clown, Firefish Goby, Blue spotted jawfish
  • And a ton of assorted snails and hermits as well as a fire shrimp, emerald green crabs, and a big old sea cuccumber

so now for some pics......got the stand built and transfered everything from my RSM in it

016.jpg

>1.jpg019-1.jpg

040.jpg042-1.jpg038-1.jpg

IMG

Like i said the skimmer after the break in period started producing about this much gunk ever 3 days or so

039.jpg

And now for the MP10.....came home yesterday and found this on the porch

018-2.jpg

so I opened it...... :D :D

019-2.jpg020-1.jpg022-1.jpg021.jpg024-1.jpg023-1.jpg

mounted on tank

026-1.jpg

just turned on

025-1.jpg

And now some Pics of the things I wanted this tank for to begin with......CLAMS....

My new Croceas that I got from Uniquecorals.com very great place and great service

023-2.jpg025-2.jpg

and my 2 maximas and the derasa

032-2.jpg

I guess that's it for now......i'm gonna uplad a short vid of the tank and the MP10 this evening

thanks for looking and comment PLEASE!!! :P:D

Nice tank! And those clams look really nice.

Do you have any more information on the build? (stand esp.)

yea i have to find the right memory card and then i'll stick the tank build pics in their correct spot

thanks for the comments....keep em coming..... :lol: :lol:

Wow, can't believe i've missed this, gorgeous setup! grats on the vortech :D I hope your jawfish doesn't jump out.

thanks alot....i'm really lovin the vortech.....

yea the jawfish is still kinda freaked out right now and hiding under a little nook in the back the tank.....i'll get some pics....i'm hoping he doesn't try to make a break for it too

Wow that looks really good.I always wanted a shallow rimless cube

thanks.....it's my first rimless too and i'm really lovin it,,,,

here's a video of the tank and the MP10 at work in reef crest random mode

th_066.jpg

i used to have a 75 with a central overflow but its just too damn noisy when the water flows down into it. constant water fall sound. which is nice sometimes but not in the bedroom. yours does not sound quite as loud tho.

Great tank build, the dimensions are perfect. I think I know have the design I'm looking for on my next tank. Thanks for sharing and hope you don't mind me using your design. Thanks and keep updating. Oh, the clams are sweet looking.

Great tank build, the dimensions are perfect. I think I know have the design I'm looking for on my next tank. Thanks for sharing and hope you don't mind me using your design. Thanks and keep updating. Oh, the clams are sweet looking.

lol....no not at all.....and to be honest....i stole the dims from the neo nano tank.....i loved the tank but I refused to pay 1200 bucks after shipping for it

so I found a place that do custom glass work

i used to have a 75 with a central overflow but its just too damn noisy when the water flows down into it. constant water fall sound. which is nice sometimes but not in the bedroom. yours does not sound quite as loud tho.

it's really not the loudest tank I ever had. And to be honest that sound makes me fall right to sleep

• 2 weeks later...
sweet tank!!!!!!!!!!! do you think the MH and lunar light thing would work on a 65g

yea def......250 watts is plenty

gotta update some pics tonight for all to see.....added a refugium light and a ball of chaeto

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rockfish..I noticed your tank is 5/8" glass and you're using an MP10. Have you noticed any problems using the MP10 on 5/8" glass? I'm setting up a rimless with 1/2" and plan on a similar setup as yours. Nice tank by the way!

Hey Rockfish..I noticed your tank is 5/8" glass and you're using an MP10. Have you noticed any problems using the MP10 on 5/8" glass? I'm setting up a rimless with 1/2" and plan on a similar setup as yours. Nice tank by the way!

no problem at all but i is stretching it a bit.....1/2 inch won't give you any problems at all and thanks of the kind words about the tank.....it's a work in progress

Archived