Pod Your Reef

poisonous corals

swampbugg

A friend of mine was mentioning that her mother got stung by a button polyp and now she is on medication for it. I was just curious as to if anyone knows of any other corals that are poisonous to touch. I have tried searching for the answer cut i can't find very much on this topic at all. Thanks for any info that anyone can give me! :)

~Jessica

some zoos are toxic, as are some sps corals (Dave will tell tales of being stung while cleaning his tank).

the toxic zoos aren't dangerous as long as you don't touch them and then lick your fingers, rub your eyes or touch an open cut.

Thank you both for all of your info, especially the links. It took me a while to read the thread and I am probably only about half way done. It was exactly the info I was looking for. I now know to take extra precaution around all of them. My friends mom has to go to chemotherapy and take all kinds of medication, after she almost died due to such a small think as a type of button polyp. one would never expect that such a thing could happen. I had no idea about it until I heard her story. Thanks!!

~Jessica

Yes, but chemo? I though chemo was just for cancer. If it was poisonous zoos, they would give something else. Chemo kills cancer cells. I bet someone was pulling your leg.

Just my two bits . . I've not only been grabbing my protopalythoa rock since I got it as my first coral, but I bust my knuckles / hands all the time at work and stick my mangled hands in my tank all the time. Maybe I'm lucky . . but I've asked 3 local fish stores about this toxicity issue (Big Al's, King Ed's, and the local hole-in-the-wall fish store near my house) and all of the employees told me the same thing: "I've been handling every coral in these tanks for years and I've never had a problem" - accompanied by "what the heck are you talking about?" looks.

I've since returned the polyps not because of being poisoned but because they were the ugliest poo-brown colony of polyps I've ever seen :P

If in fact this whole poisoning thing is true, I'm astonished that there are no disclaimers (verbal or written) given at any of the fish stores I've visited - its either one of two things. Gross ignorance by my local pet stores or one of the worst "lets make a mountain out of a molehill" cases I've heard.

d.

heres a pic I snapped of the ones I had that I'm pretty sure arent harmful:

fae8d360.jpg

Very few zoo's are toxic only the ones that come from a certain bay, that contain another organizim. I can't rember all the specfics right now but I got into a good little debate about those on reefcentral under the worst newbie mistake topic.

Archived