Coral Vue Hydros

New Crocea

Hanser

Here is a top down pic of my clam, it was under MH lighting at the pet store, but about three feet away and it was lighting multiple tanks. From what I remember ( its been two weeks) it was mostly brownish-purple with flecks of tan. Looking at it top down wasn't too impressive either.

I took this pic this morning. It is in my BC29 under the 20" Nova Extreme Pro and 1/2 up the tank slightly to the left of center. It seems that the color has been turning more purple and the tan flecks are more apparent.

Does anyone know how much clams can or do color up over time?

Im thinking even under the MH in the pet store it is getting much more light in my tank. I started it on the sand bed and after a week moved it up.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

000_0440.jpg

000_0443.jpg

Jungle_John
Here is a top down pic of my clam, it was under MH lighting at the pet store, but about three feet away and it was lighting multiple tanks. From what I remember ( its been two weeks) it was mostly brownish-purple with flecks of tan. Looking at it top down wasn't too impressive either.

I took this pic this morning. It is in my BC29 under the 20" Nova Extreme Pro and 1/2 up the tank slightly to the left of center. It seems that the color has been turning more purple and the tan flecks are more apparent.

Does anyone know how much clams can or do color up over time?

Im thinking even under the MH in the pet store it is getting much more light in my tank. I started it on the sand bed and after a week moved it up.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

000_0440.jpg

000_0443.jpg

wow hes is a nice clam. i know they can change color to the light they need. there is nice article about clam colors, ill try to find it and link it for you. maybe some one else will have a link to it.

i dont think however he will get more color that what he has.

Thunderstruck34

well it's pattern is what would normally be expected of a maxima, the dots outlaying the edges of the mantle, the way the mantle folds out, idk to me the incurrent siphon looks a lot more similar to a maxima's as well. Can you get a side shot at all? The way the scutes are would also be a good indicator.

well it's pattern is what would normally be expected of a maxima, the dots outlaying the edges of the mantle, the way the mantle folds out, idk to me the incurrent siphon looks a lot more similar to a maxima's as well. Can you get a side shot at all? The way the scutes are would also be a good indicator.

+1 looks like a maxima to me

That appears to be a Maxima to my eye.

Regardless, clams don't change color appreciably. They aren't like corals in that sense. Generally speaking, you get what you get with clams.

OK here are two pics...

crocea1-1.jpg

000_0439.jpg

There are scutes on the upper edge of the shell, but to me the overall shape looks more crocea.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Thunderstruck34

well overall shape is that of a maxima, which it is, crocea's are more smooth. Where did you buy it? Still a nice maxima!

Scuting, by itself, is not an indication of species. Both Croceas and Maximas develop pronounced scutes, but Croceas tend to wear them off while burrowing into rocks in nature.

Scuting, by itself, is not an indication of species. Both Croceas and Maximas develop pronounced scutes, but Croceas tend to wear them off while burrowing into rocks in nature.

I've read that too. Thanks for the feed back.

Thunderstruck34, I bought it at a local pet store in Salem, NH They also had a squamosa for sale as a derasa, that was an easy one to figure out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived