Innovative Marine Aquariums

External Glass Overflow Box, Slot Cut In Tank

Seiryoku

Someone was asking about overflows, I posted the pvc w/ slot idea I was thinking of. Someone else was posting about attaching an external overflow box onto the back of the tank and cutting a slot/section out of the tank, up in the trim area.

There were pictures too! I'm leaning towards this idea for my new setup now and wanted to take a look a those pictures again and talk to you about it!

Hope you find this ^^)b

Sweet, thanks!

He did do a nice job. Only thing I don't like is the external box being visible from the front. Wondering how much it would show if black silicone was used. If that didn't work I'd have to get a sheet of plexi (black or paint it black) and put it across the back of the tank. Wouldn't be able to sleep at night with the box showing like that.

Also, wow at a rotozip bit cutting glass o_o

i believe it is a diamond rotozip bit for cutting tile & glass. i would just throw a coat of black exterior latex paint on it while you are doing it....tada!!! no showing :)

his pic, it looks like this bit, but this one says it's a diamond bit

Hmmm, I if I remember my hardware store days (worked in one for four years) a diamond rotozip bit isn't cheap :(

That guy did paint the outside of the box, but the silicone seam is showing for whatever reason, unless I'm missing something, which is possible...been up since 6am... Wonder if krylon fusion is ok to use on glass that is underwater o_o

coraline should cover it in no time :P

....& yes, once krylon fusion dries, it is completely inert

But, but ,but...in the mean time I'll be able to see it! Would keep me up at night :(

Wasn't sure if it bonded to glass in the same way it did to plastic, good to know, thanks ^^)b

it will stick to glass.....but it scratches EXTREMELY easily, so don't even look at it cross or it might come off LOL

I was thinking about while waiting for my egg sammich at the cafe. Think I'll go the easy, lazy, route and just paint a piece of acrylic black and silicone it to the inside back of the tank. Will never have to worry about it again that way!

Can't wait to get this tank setup!!!

Should also note that I plan on using the Herbie method for the drains in the overflow box. Was reading about it, and many other methods, for hours last night and spent over an hour discussing it with a friend. I'm convinced that, when done properly, it is perfectly safe. Not to mention 1000% (yes, 1000) quiet!

So I'm planning on an overflow that will show NOTHING in my tank with a drain method that is 100% quiet! I'll be one happy reefer once I get this all going.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question...

The glass shop sanded the edges down on all of my glass, but did it a little heavily towards the ends (I can post pictures when I get home tonight). The ~1/4" of the ending edge probably lost 1/2 of the edge, if any of that makes sense.

Will the loss of flat surface area effect the strength of the box and or the strength of adhesion onto the back of the tank?

Figured I'd update this here as well as my tank thread, for the hell of it. This is the bottom of my external overflow box.

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

This thing cuts through glass like butter, it also drills through glass. Think I'll use it to cut holes for bulkheads in the future.

720361004126md.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

looks great. i have a simlar set up and just love having the overflow out of the tank. keep us posted on the progress>

Most certainly will :)

About to silicone the baffles into my sump so everything will be ready Tuesday, when I get home from work, for a freshwater test.

• 1 month later...

i know its a bit late but heres some of the stuff that might of helped.

a really good 29 biuld with external overflow

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...ight=cavitation

black silcone

http://www.technologylk.com/product_view.a...product_ID=7823

the thread it came from

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120916

uhuru's sliced pipe overflow on rc

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=2

impurs 29 pics are gone but still good info

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...c=47937&hl=

post-24770-1252953902_thumb.jpg

post-24770-1252953950_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

seiryoku

with the tank up n running for a while now is there anything to coment about. very entersted in seing longterm preformance of an external. also ow difficult werethose radius based corners to cut. have heard of people doing externals without properly sized radi and the tank crakin shortly(within months) after.

Archived