Cultivated Reef

TheUnfocusedLove's 5.5 - The Intersect

TheUnfocusedLove

TheUnfocusedLove

After creeping around the forum for about a year and a half and being jealous of my boyfriends tanks for even longer, I am finally starting one of my own. I purchased a 5.5 gallon system from Gerber77 (thanks again!) and am just waiting for it to be shipped.

This includes:

-5.5 gal tank

-18" 2 X 18 Watt T5 Current USA fixture

-Aquaclear 70 power filter

-50 watt Visi-Therm Stealth heater

-Mini jet 404 Powerhead

-Coralife Digital Thermometer

-API Master Test Kit

Today I went out and bought some sand, salt, and a few other small necessary items. I am thinking about buying my live rock from SeaLifeInc, but am undecided because of the high shipping cost. I am not entirely sure about stocking plans yet. Probably a green clown goby, since I have been obsessed with them for about forever. And hopefully some nifty inverts, maybe sexies or a pom pom crab. I will probably just stick with zoos and rics for corals. I love the look of little gardens of them. The boyfriend will probably supply me with some nice zoo frags eventually (if I ask nicely).

I can't wait to begin, but I know that taking it slow is the way to go. Hopefully it will turn into something that will eventually inspire other reefers like many tanks on here have inspired me. :)

PS. This will be a picture heavy thread as those are the best kind.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exciting. I'll be sure to watch this one.

Green clown gobies are nifty, but I think it would be cool to go with something a little less commonplace.

Maybe a flaming prawn goby, or yasha goby? Those would nicely offset the classic and nice simplicity of zoas and rics.

If I were to have fish, I would have one of those two.

Exciting. I'll be sure to watch this one.

Green clown gobies are nifty, but I think it would be cool to go with something a little less commonplace.

Maybe a flaming prawn goby, or yasha goby? Those would nicely offset the classic and nice simplicity of zoas and rics.

If I were to have fish, I would have one of those two.

+1 It seems like a lot of people go with clown gobies. You should try and set yourself apart with something different. If you don't, however, you could set yourself apart with freakin' awesome zoas. A 5.5 with purple hornets perhaps. :P

TheUnfocusedLove

I agree, I'm still looking around. Flaming prawn gobies are beautiful, but a tad pricey. Any other ideas for possible unusual/unique fish?

TheUnfocusedLove

I'm not sure. I'm gonna keep looking/researching, I have a bit of time to wait through my cycle anyways. It'll give me stuff to do. =)

My package shipped today! So I should be getting started sometime late this week or this weekend. I can't wait! =)

I decided against SeaLifeInc rock due to the shipping cost and because I wouldn't be able to pick my pieces. So, I will be heading to the LFS this week to scope out some live rock.

TheUnfocusedLove

Good news and bad news...

Good news: package came today. =D Bad news: tank wasn't in one piece. The packing job looked great though, so I think an elephant just sat on it.

Ran to PetWorld and picked up a 5.5 g AGA to replace it. Also picked up 5-7 pounds of live rock at my LFS. Painted the back of the tank black when I got it home and spent the past hour or so scaping. Added about half the water and the sand. Now I have to run downstairs and out to the car for the rest of my water.

Already seen a few hitchhikers: some snails, asterina stars, and a cluster of tunicates of some sort.

Edit:

IMG_6839.jpg

My camera batteries died before I could get a halfway decent shot. This gives the idea of what my scape looks like though. :) I'll get a better picture (and pictures from each of the ends) tonight. And maybe some of my hitchhikers if they decide to make an appearance.

TheUnfocusedLove

I keep finding more and more good little hitchhikers. So exciting. On a bad note, I discovered two teensy little aiptasias. Bummer.

Pictures tomorrow (I have the afternoon off)!

TheUnfocusedOne
I keep finding more and more good little hitchhikers. So exciting. On a bad note, I discovered two teensy little aiptasias. Bummer.

Pictures tomorrow (I have the afternoon off)!

get a peppermint shrimp, or borrow one of those berghia nudibranch from someone in the area (im sure if you start talking on the madison reefers forum you could find one)

or u could also just buy one and add it to that big tank after your done with it

keep up the good work babe

• 2 weeks later...
TheUnfocusedLove

Ordered a few small things (refractometer and test kits) from Fosters and Smith the other day, should get here today. I'm really excited for the refractometer, my hydrometer just didn't cut it.

I have some green clove polyps (I think) popping up on one of the rocks. And possibly some angry bright green zoos, but they aren't open completely so I'm not positive.

Going to Florida for two weeks soon so hopefully the tank will be ready to start stocking once I get back. I don't think my roomie can mess up the top offs too bad, so I'm not too worried about being gone for so long.

TheUnfocusedLove

Diatoms started showing up today. Waiting till I get back from vacation to add a CUC. Here's a few pictures.

Hans, my roommates pet garden gnome, guarding my tank

IMG_6860.jpg

Hitchhiker #1 (What am I?)

HH1.jpg

HH3.jpg

Hitchhiker #2 (Cruddy picture)

HH2.jpg

Lucky you live in WI, my stuff i ordered from foster and smith is taking 12 days to get here :(.

Your tank is looking good!

TheUnfocusedLove

Thanks capsfan, not sure why I hadn't thought mushroom for that first one. I was pretty sure about the second though.

Lucky you live in WI, my stuff i ordered from foster and smith is taking 12 days to get here :(.

Your tank is looking good!

Thanks. :) It only took two days for mine to ship, it was a wonderful surprise. Bummer about 12.

Thanks capsfan, not sure why I hadn't thought mushroom for that first one. I was pretty sure about the second though.

Thanks. :) It only took two days for mine to ship, it was a wonderful surprise. Bummer about 12.

It's killin' me. :angry:

Are you a Chuck fan?

Nice start, I have a 5.5g also, its a great size. And yea those kinda look like bleached mushrooms.

TheUnfocusedLove
Are you a Chuck fan?

Nice start, I have a 5.5g also, its a great size. And yea those kinda look like bleached mushrooms.

HUGE Chuck fan.

The second is a clove rather than gsp, its a bit of a weed, i've had some in my tank for must be 6 months now and it gets everywhere, not sure it it spawns in my tank, i've not witnessed it, but it grows everywhere, i've pulled it off the intake for my power head rock, glass and other corals. That said its quite colourful when you get a bush of it.

• 2 weeks later...
TheUnfocusedLove

Thanks for the input guys. I am pretty sure it's clove polyps. I also have some zoos that opened up while I was on vacation. I was almost positive that they were going to melt off with how pissed off they had looked. But they appear to be doing pretty good, just bleached a tad. They have nice green centers and I'm hoping they color up nicely.

Made some big purchases today. Some hermits and snails. As well as a linear blenny, who has no name so far. I am leaning towards Captain Awesome though. Also adopted a little mantis for my boyfriend that I will be keeping in a breeders net until his tank is ready for him. Acclimating stuff right now and will be taking pictures when I get a chance.

Archived