Cultivated Reef

1337's 18Gal

1337TANKHAX

1337TANKHAX

So I've been reefing for a while, but I've finally decided to join the ranks of the tank threads here. I setup my new 18 gallon aio acrylic cube from AA about a month ago, and have been working on stocking it since. So here are the specs:

16" cube, 1/2" acrylic

Quiet one 1200 return

175 W Halide on an old Mag Ballast with a 12K Reeflux bulb w/ no atinics yet (all encased in a diy canopy of plywood that was veneered with oak)

I'm trying to get ahold of a Koralia Nano because my Rio50 for extra flow just tanked, as well as a float switch to make a diy ato. I'm still working on things, tweaking my light cycle, I haven't put the trim or stain on my canopy yet, so you know, I still have work to do.

Pictures speak louder than words, so here's the setup thus far (warning cell phone pic <_< ):

tank.jpg

Hopefully that worked, but theres a deepwater lobo, a bunch of new zoos (bambams, magicians, rpes, spidermans), one head of a rainbow acan (lol), an rbta, and my hardy misbar false perc Cheers.

I'll do my best with updates and all that jazz, so thanks for checking it out.

1337TANKHAX

Thanks man, and yeah I'll pm you about that K nano, I still want it. I also picked up a couple nice frags from Vivid today. I got a pokerstar and a small duncan frag.

Nice, I bought my duncan from them a few weeks ago and it is sprouting a ton of new heads. Let me know when you want to come get the nano tomorrow.

1337TANKHAX

Will do. I got to check out their back room where they keep some of the mother colonies, they have some insane stuff in that store. Their 800 Gallon is filled to the brim with some of the nicest colonies I've ever seen.

Failed miserably at aquascaping tonight, the tank still looks like someone threw a pile of rocks in it, but I'll snap some pictures in the evening after I pick up my new flasher wrasse and cover the top so he doesn't carpet surf.

coachfraley
Looking good so far!

I agree, very nice looking setup. That lobo is an amazing piece!

What are you running in the rear of the tank?

1337TANKHAX

Thanks, I just picked up that lobo from quick. I just ordered some aquatic forceps so I can target feed it a little bit better to get those heads towards the bottom back up to speed.

In chamber one is a 10oz chemipure bag with a big sponge filter, chamber two is for cheato and my heater, and chamber three is my pump. I don't run a protein skimmer, but I keep up on water changes and dose and test often to keep params in check. I have a ridiculous population of pods in the tank right now, if there is even a thin film of algae on the tank I can see them all over the sides. I'm thinking about getting a small mandarin, but I just picked up my new wrasse today so I think I'll let my tank settle for a little while.

1337TANKHAX

I'm still pretty embarrassed at my lame a$$ excuse for aquascaping, but I'll take a few more pictures tomorrow of everything. The lobo's still receded, but I'm working on figuring out how to target feed to all the heads. I've got a few new things that aren't pictured yet:

Flasher wrasse

Pokerstar Monti

small Duncanopsammia frag

1337TANKHAX

Alrighty, shot some pictures today, I just have a point and shoot, soooo I did the best I could with the pathetic camera settings.

FTS w/ unfinished canopy:

18002.jpg

FTS:

18003.jpg

Haha and here's the RBTA a year ago when I first got it for a comparison shot:

DSCN0031.jpg

LOBO! I chopped up some krill and stuffed his a$$ this morning:

18004.jpg

Frag island:

Tank2007.jpg

Side shot w/ Pokerstar Monti:

18006.jpg

New fairy wrasse cruising by my favorite frag of magician palys:

18007.jpg

If you can spot out a couple of the pieces that look unhealthy in there, it's because they came out of my old tank that crashed. I glued my new duncan frag right on top of the skeleton of my old colony, and I'm trying to see if I can get that small lobo frag to survive. We'll see.

1337TANKHAX

One more FTS:

Tank2001.jpg

I also messed with the macro mode on my POS point and shoot and got a half decent shot of the mad polyp extension on my pokerstar:

Tank2002.jpg

1337TANKHAX

Insane growth on the spidermans, four new heads have emerged in less than two weeks:

Tank2008-1.jpg

A couple actinic pictures:

Tank2011.jpg

This one I had to mess with a little bit to get closer to the true color:

Tank2012-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you! I just fashioned a piece of acrylic to a small piece of eggcrate to block the anemone's appendages from getting sucked into the overflow. It will be painted black sooner or later. Anyway, I got my shipment of macros (Green Gracilaria, Halimeda, Codium, Predea?) so I have a couple new pictures:

FTS:

newsht002.jpg

Gracilaria:

newsht003.jpg

Darth Mauls:

newsht005.jpg

B & W photo:

bw016.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I've updated this thread! The tank has changed a bit, I took out a bunch of the coral to use in my contest tank, as well as because I hardly do maintenance on this tank because it's at my parent's house. Apparently while I was gone the nem decided to finally split!

Newest FTS:

DSCN1920.jpg

Archived