Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

:welcome:

This Thread here is for all 34G & 25G & 67XL Solana tank Owners

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!

I have been doing a lot of searching and seem like no one have started a thread post for us Solanas! but i'd like to see this tank and the designs people have used. Also Pictures, DIY, Custom modds, question, answers, and feedback is a plus. So lets see whats out there and have FUN!

34G Solana tank owners link:

d'Espresso, DAHNIC561, reefrider, MedRed, TriggerHappyDude, Osric, davidr2340, TJ_Burton, Ryanmilo,GentleBen, hyperboy, Southstar066, Lone-Wolf, dayron, 34G, Jason7504, RLC, Chief, bruce922, 96gts, Appys, Ace1204, Kevin_McG, ezcompany, bwp, PodRod, Mattdog, Aspec, ximmortaldeathx, bxz, MolokoPlus, Amerijuanican, Solana34Hog, Slaychild, dekand, jigraham, pprwngs, paja55gl, AJ, flinster, simon2629, Bloke, phamily, archx, alex101, spiffish, Kozo, nova65ss, S2k, dailydriven911, Quorky, Dweebikus, rufousreefer, atlweb, Hlander, Clavius85, Pudge957, burnofvengeance, NivanaandTool, kthehun89, jonc, Dutch27, dmarkham, r3dr33f, rick4him, FishTacos, Ipsouth1987, Reefur, jonny roks, Csal1-175, Jae4571, Bananahands, LivingStrong08, Zuzu, Captivating_Reef, Wazupjames, Wdubosemsp, rck, Captivating_Reef, Shan, JoeVic, Donatello, sefrayser, Playapixie, jcieutat, mmaattppllaayy, BOMBreef

25G Solana Ecocube tank owners link:

bluenassarius
fiction101

60G XL Solana owner link:

MedRed

67XL Solana tank owner link:

LivingStrong08
bluebastion

IF THERE IS ANY NEW COMERS LET ME KNOW OR CONTACT ME BY PM's THANKS!

UPDATED: 7-18-2011 newly added new comers

Edited by d'Espresso
threads got garbled with the merge, sorry!

You rock, I was searching for all the Solana threads.

I'm starting one up in the near future, so my name will be on here soon.

Edited by True Blue

Thanks everyone for posting again. Due our lost post please post your post here again thanks for sharing!

Nice shot David I like your acans and paired clowns

here is my G34 Solana:

FTS:

IMG_0041-1.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Edited by d'Espresso
TriggerHappyDude

I have a topic to start discussing...is my tank leaking?

For the 2nd time this month, today and a few Sundays ago when my RKE head died on me in the middle of the night, I've come into the tank room to find water puddled up on the front lip of my stand with a little bit dripping down into the glass door below. I don't see where it would have spilled over from the top, no traces of it doing that, it appears to be coming from the bottom of the tank. The entire left side of the bottom of it appears to have the soft pad on the bottom soaking wet. The first time I thought it was due to the RKE killing power to everything and maybe a bit of overflow from no pumps running, today everything was running fine and I found the puddle on the front lip of the stand...so you tell me what you think?

I don't want to jump to conclusions yet, and will see if I get any more puddles in a few weeks or so...but if this thing has to come down due to a leak, I don't know if I'll set it back up, so I might have some stuff for sale soon...

We'll just have to see.

Edited by TriggerHappyDude
TriggerHappyDude

Upon further review, I think water was leaking out from the plastic clips that hold that glass lid on, and might have been slowly draining down and underneath the tank, causing the puddles. Its just weird that two times I've seen a large puddle, the length of the front of the tank, just sitting there. Why up front? You think if it was leaking and soaking up in the back then the pressure of the tank forced it up front to where it gathered and puddled up?

My MP20 is on Full blast reefcrest mode. When it goes into full blast. It initially kicks a dribble or two of water out of the tank and down the front glass... and sometimes down the side where the clip is as well. I think I will be adding the upgraded top over my solana.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok Solana owners, specifically those who own the Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer as well. I know most of you all turn off your return pump during feeding, do you also turn off the skimmer?

For me I've tried both and both ways seem to frustrate me. If I leave the skimmer on, when the return pump goes off, the back chambers fill up and the skimmer floods, causing me to have to pull the skimmer up out of the water and let it drain somewhat before I get the fizzy bubbles going again.

Well, really the same thing happens when I turn the skimmer off as well, either way I guess I have to pull the skimmer up out of the water and let it drain until it hits a certain level, then the fizzy stuff starts and I can put it back into the water. Is this expected? Normal behavior for this skimmer? Just curious.

+1 I have the same problem also and try to solve that problem but I kinda broke the pump spindle. I notice when I go to feeding mode I turn it off and turn it on after feeding have been done. I notice a funny noise in my skimmer. So I took it out and examine the skimmer and do a clean through when I got inside the motor I notice the little black piece broke off and I try to super glue it back and it start function again. Who ever have a sapphire skimmer just becareful not to break the motor. It's PITA!

Good luck trigger on finding your answer sorry I was no help because mine is half broke.

TriggerHappyDude
My MP20 is on Full blast reefcrest mode. When it goes into full blast. It initially kicks a dribble or two of water out of the tank and down the front glass... and sometimes down the side where the clip is as well. I think I will be adding the upgraded top over my solana.

I have the MP40w, I can't go full blast...

I just ordered a solana and want to add a vortech. I'll be keeping a little bit of everything, mostly softies with a couple sps on top...

Which vortech should I order? MP10? MP20? MP40W? What are the differences? sizes?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to each one in these tanks?

Would it be better to just use the tunze 6025 that I already own and hide it out of view?

Edited by herostar

Depend how u want to put out, I have a mp20 and I love it but everyone else would say go with the mp40 and that would be a great upgrade!!

TriggerHappyDude

I don't know I bought the MP40w with the mindset of upgrading to a bigger 100+ gallon tank one day and using it, if its just for a Solana now and forever, either MP10 or MP20 is a good choice, MP40w is too, but I don't hardly get to use it to its potential...it stays on lowest setting mostly, maybe 20% full blast now and then.

I think the mp20 would be the best decision. It will fit with a large variety of applications... and it will upgrade to an mp40w with the upgrade kit for not much more than buying an mp40w from the get go.

Ok Solana owners, specifically those who own the Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer as well. I know most of you all turn off your return pump during feeding, do you also turn off the skimmer?

For me I've tried both and both ways seem to frustrate me. If I leave the skimmer on, when the return pump goes off, the back chambers fill up and the skimmer floods, causing me to have to pull the skimmer up out of the water and let it drain somewhat before I get the fizzy bubbles going again.

Well, really the same thing happens when I turn the skimmer off as well, either way I guess I have to pull the skimmer up out of the water and let it drain until it hits a certain level, then the fizzy stuff starts and I can put it back into the water. Is this expected? Normal behavior for this skimmer? Just curious.

I do not turn off my Sapphire skimmer when I turn on the feed cycle because ever since I added the modified impeller, I have had some restart issues that required me to blow in the vent tube to restart the pump. The improved impeller really has added a lot of foam and the skimmer works better. I just remove the skimmer cup when I feed to keep it from flooding. During feeding, some bubbles flow into the back chamber, but I never see anything in the display. When I restart and add the skimmer cup, it seems to start skimming again right away. I usually clean the neck while I have it out.

Edited by milkman