Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My first pico reef.

sargieboy

Hi all im sargie im from the uk i have been into fish keeping for some years and i have been keeping tropicals in a juwel rekord 60 for a few months now. I stopped after i moved home and have just restarted.

I wanted somthing to keep me busy now my tropical tank is happily running along.

So on sunday i went out and bought a 3.5 gallon beeta life space. I have added some live sand and about 2kg of live rock i got maybe more than i wanted but it is very hard to get small pieces were i live.

I am using waterlife marine salt i have tested with a hydrometer to get my sg to 1.023. I have an aqua one 55 watt heater and a thermometer.

The lighting is stock and comprise of 2 8 watt T5 flouresent tubes one white one blue (forget the proper name :))

I have got a bacterial bloom today and ammonia tests at 0.25 so the cycle is definatly underway.

Parameters are..gh 180, kh 240,ph 7.0 ,no2 0, no3 0. I will add a ph buffer if my ph doesnt change over the next day or so to achieve 8.3.

There is also i stock trickel filter that actualy produces pretty good flow once i start adding corals i may add an extra power head if the flow is inadequate.

I have been using de-ionised water from the supermarket too.

101_0168.jpg

Equipment

Betta lifespace 3.5 gallon tank.

Rio nano skimmer with purigen.

Koralia nano power head

Aqua one 55w visi therm heater.

2lb live sand.

4lb live rock.

Glass thermometer.

Stock lighting unit with one T5 8w actinic and one hagen power glo T5 8w 18k high intensity bulb.

Reef crystals salt.

Live Stock

3 Cerith snails.

3 Astrea snails

3 Narssicus vibex snails

1 Scarlet hermit

1 juvinile percula clown

Corals

1 green montipora digitata

1 pulsing xenia

I like the rock work man. I've never seen that particular tank over here in the States, good find.

It sounds like you've done your research, and I'm sure the years of keeping tropicals is going to come in handy. I'm expecting great things from this tank.

Yeah with regards to the tank ive searched online for replavement bulbs to see prices and i have been unable to find any info on them.

They are made in china for j+k aqautics it says on the box.

Plans for the reef once fully cycled will be clean up crew first. A few snails not sure which type i suppose it depends on the types available locally i don't really like the idea of mail order live stock. A hermit or 2 red or blue legged. Let thos settle keep checking water params and if they stay stable i will start looking at corals.

My local lfs were i got my live rock from had some stunning corals they had a pulsing xenia at £10 and loads of others.

If im succesfull with this nano i plan to go bigger around xmas time :)

Thanks for the comment's i plan to keep this updated. Here's a photo of the tanks box.

101_0170.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Reupdate due to data loss.

101_0171.jpg

coraline algae

101_0172.jpg

Hair worm in the middle

101_0173.jpg

Feather duster in the middle

101_0174.jpg

actinic

101_0176.jpg

Rio nano skimmer arrived

101_0177.jpg

And fitted to the tank

101_0178.jpg

I plan to do a recent update on sunday at 3 weeks so stay tuned :)

Tank is looking good, sarge. Impatiently waiting for updates. :P

It's funny that you call me sarge as thats what all my friends call me :) my surname is sargent.

I am going to update shortly ;)

Ok well over due update.

I have been quite busy spent a fair bit of wonga on the tank now :) bought my own ro unit which was a bargain 40gbp delivered. I bought a hagen master test kit to keep things in check. I noticed allot of detrius build up in the tank so i bought a koralia nano to improve flow.

I broke a promise i made to myself and ordered a cuc online i didnt like the idea of livestock mail order and i should of stuck by it 1 blue hermit arrived dead and 2 died within 24 hours after drip acclimating them. The guy was fair though and he sent me a scarlet hermit and a coral to compensate me.

My clean up crew consists of 1 scarlet hermit,3 turbos,3cerith and 3 narssicus vibex plus a bristle worm hitchhicker that i spotted the other night and i crapped my pants lol he is fairly big :)

Corals i bought a 10gbp frag of xenia it's doing ok however i cant find a spot in the tank for it either too much flow or not enough light which is frustrating to say the least.

The guy sent me a coral as compo for the cuc disaster i told him i can only support softies but he sent me an sps anyway doh! It's a green montipora digitata i just hope it survives.

I am dosing salifert all in one once a week and salifert coral food too daily top offs of ro which are very small tbh. pics to follow.

fts taken today

101_0235.jpg

xenia frag

101_0238.jpg

My clown fish who is the boldest,strangest most amazing fish i have ever owned.

101_0241.jpg

Water parameters are.

ammo 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 5ppm (cheato added)

calcium 1920?? not sure im doing it right for calcium concentration multiply number of drops by 20 so 96x20

ph 8.3

kh 190

phosphate 0.25

Any tips on doing calcium properly would be much appreciated it's a hagen calcium test.

New boyu light arrived in the post BOYU STS 350

101_0245.jpg

I added a hagen power glo 18k high intensity bulb to it also a 6700k and the blue bulb in the centre im unsure wether it is a true actinic or not.

101_0247.jpg

Im really pleased with it gives loads of light with a nice blue tinge to it.

tank looks good! I hope that digi does survive. I think your clown will get too big for that size tank though, i'd be careful with it. :)

tank looks good! I hope that digi does survive. I think your clown will get too big for that size tank though, i'd be careful with it. :)

Yeah i agree on the clown i think i may sell him soon or get a tank upgrade. The digi seems to be doing ok with gret polyp extension the polyps are turning brown instead of green though i guess that is due to my lighting?

• 1 month later...

Hey dude, how does that skimmer run?

I'm from birmingham. Just saw you post on another thread a while back. Whats happening with your tank?

• 3 months later...
Yeah i agree on the clown i think i may sell him soon or get a tank upgrade. The digi seems to be doing ok with gret polyp extension the polyps are turning brown instead of green though i guess that is due to my lighting?

Yeah, maybe the lighting.. how is the tank doing now? it's been awhile...

Archived