Coral Vue Hydros

Katie's 8G Custom Tank

davidncbrown

davidncbrown

A better late than never Christmas present for my girlfriend came in march of this year. I custom built an acrylic aquarium to fit on her dresser in her room. I wanted something small with a filtration system similar to that of a nano cube, but I wanted to custom build it. It has a MJ800 return pump with a Hydor Flo deflector. We decided upon black sand for the substrate and a sort of arch for the aquascape. The grand scope of her tank is to be a simple soft coral tank with a couple fish and a shrimp.

current inhabitants:

astrea snails

nassarius

nerite snails

skunk cleaner shrimp

blue leg hermits

yellow clown goby

green clown goby

brown sea squirt (hitch-hiker) RIP

brown zoa's (hitch-hikers)

Briareum asbestinum

radioactive dragon eye zoa's

purple zoas with yellow centers

green zoas

Armor of God Zoas

Blue Palys

Japanese Yellow Jacket Zoa's

Pink mushroom

various sponges

IMG_4397.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

IMG_4392-1.jpg

016.jpg

014.jpg

011.jpg

008.jpg

009-1.jpg

• 2 years later...
I like your choice of fish :D

Ha thanks! Those pictures were taken a looong time ago. This aquarium has since become overrun with algae (bad husbandry on our behalf) and the fish were moved to another tank / one was a bully and was returned to the LFS. Hopefully in another month or so we are going to be re-doing this tank. My girlfriend and I hate the tehetian moon sand because it shows detritus like crazy! We are going to completely gut the tank, I'm going to make sure all the seams are still water tight, and rebuilt with white sand and new live rock. This is my girlfriend's tank and she is thinking of doing just zoa's with a few small fish or sexy shrimp. I think this will work out well with this tank. We'll definitely post pictures as the tank gets redone.

We obviously don't run them at full power, but for taking pictures you can really crank them up for some nice effects! I also used more led's because I didn't use any optics and actually used a diffusion plate to make the light more even. I hate seeing led setups with spots of blue and spots of white on a coral or rock. Plus the diffusion plate lowers the light intensity a bit. You should see this beast without the diffusion plate running full bore!

• 2 months later...

Tank has been disassembled. It suffered from lack of maintenance and lack of available time for maintenance. I'm definitely not getting rid of it (I made everything from scratch!) but it will be down for an unforeseen amount of time. In the mean time the vortec has been moved over to our 75 gallon and everything else has been stored for most likely after I am done with UC Davis.

Archived