Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MedRed's 34 Gallon Solana (R.I.P. 01/07/2010)

MedRed

This tank has been broken down and is now the property of Donatello... His build thread is here

After many questions, much deliberation, and a few setbacks... The tank has lift off!

29z4j93.jpg

34h8121.jpg

2i25ad.jpg

2zgde0k.jpg

359mids.jpg

2e56phw.jpg

synqm0.jpg

2qjb1bo.jpg

2h84w0h.jpg

121pdfd.jpg

2pqqpgo.jpg

nehpxv.jpg

Equipment:

34 Gallon Solana

Solana Black Modern Stand

Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Vortech MP40w

Custom Dry Dock

Sunpod 150w with 14,000k Phoenix (planning a 250w w/ Actinic upgrade at some point)

Sapphire Aquatics Solana/Cardiff NanoSkimmer (arrives this week)

100w Stealth Heater

Fish:

Blue Spot Jawfish

Tail Spot Blenny

Shark Nosed Gobies (pair)

Naked Clownfish (2)

Inverts:

3 Peppermint Shrimp

Nassarius Snails

Cerith Snails

Nerite Snails

Corals:

Gonoipora (? Species)

Gorgonian (? Species)

Ricordea Florida

Zoas (including blue tubs and armor of the gods)

Hammer Coral

Torch Coral

(? coral)

________________________________________________________________________________

Original Post

After many questions, much deliberation, and a few setbacks... The tank has lift off!

Sorry for the cloudy water... I was moving sand around with the vortech on and ended up with a cloudy mess. I will not be keeping the bulb long term. It\'s a left over 10,000K Ushio I had lying around. I\'ll be using a 14,000K Phoenix bulb. I didn\'t want to waste the new bulb while the tank was cycling.

2hg5lhs.jpg

Equipment:

34 Gallon Solana

Solana Black Modern Stand

Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Vortech MP20

Custom Dry Dock

Sunpod 150w with 14,000k Phoenix (planning a 250w w/ Actinic upgrade at some point)

Sapphire Aquatics Solana/Cardiff NanoSkimmer (arrives this week)

150w Stealth Heater

I\'ve had quite a few hitchhikers already...

1 hermit crab

30c29o8.jpg

3 of these corals (I have no idea what they are)

29wrebn.jpg

I also have noticed some tiny starfish, a few bristle stars, and a few small zoas I forgot to take a picture of.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you got a hitch hiker mini nem I'm afraid I'll have to kill you.

Haha tank looks great man.

edit: If it is a mini nem I'll totally buy it.

What is a mini nem? I have three of them. The rock came from an established reef. I think the tank had been set up for over 2 years.

I think I did luck out on the hitchhikers... I actually have something to watch in the tank. lol

What is a mini nem? I have three of them. The rock came from an established reef. I think the tank had been set up for over 2 years.

I think I did luck out on the hitchhikers... I actually have something to watch in the tank. lol

there's always something to watch in a reef :D

I all ways misspell the scientific name, and since it's late probably every other word as well, but mini carpet nems are highly sought after. I couldn't be sure that's what it is, I don't have my own as a personal reference, but you could count yourself very lucky if that is the case.

I have no idea. There are three of them. They are open during the day and seem to close up somewhat at night. I'm just glad they are happy with my cycling tank. I haven't checked any paramaters other than the specific gravity. I was going to wait until this Thursday or Friday. I also need to get one more piece of live rock to complete the scape.

I am making a vow to fight coralline algae anywhere that's not on a rock.

Looks great!

Nice to see this tank finally up and on it's way bro!!! :happydance:

Remember... I'm holding that frag of my hammer for ya!

Thanks David! Ryan, I don't plan on running a chiller or fan. I have 3 tanks with Metal Halide lighting and glass lids over them. Nothing runs hotter than 80 degrees.

looking good there bro. Cycle time right? how long have it been? i like your rocks and that vortech! can't wait to have mine coming in soon. check it out!

nice tank man i like the solonas they look nice and modern does the light come with the tank, how much do they run the tank with light?

mini carpet anemone = Stichodactyla tapetum

:)

Thank you sir... helpful as always. Do you think my little guys looks like green hairy mushrooms?

looking good there bro. Cycle time right? how long have it been? i like your rocks and that vortech! can't wait to have mine coming in soon. check it out!

Thanks... it is indeed cycle time. Your tank is sweet!

nice tank man i like the solonas they look nice and modern does the light come with the tank, how much do they run the tank with light?

Thanks dpnano, I already had the light hanging around. I found a good deal on the tank and stand for $424. I'm not sure what a good deal on a sunpod is, although I see them quite often in the classified section. I originally bought my sunpod for $249.99 from petsolutions. If I had it to do over I would have bought the tank and had a stand built or found another stand. It's pretty cheaply made. I do love the drawer however.

Been gone a couple of days. The tank is all clear now. Diatoms have set in already.

29z4j93.jpg

2n22o3n.jpg

Here's a better picture of the coral

2q0uctj.jpg

Lucked out on some truly live rock!

345ekcy.jpg

kehyqp.jpg

Just noticed this monster today... there were two near each other, now there's only one. Time for some apt killin'!

2cr7lf9.jpg

medred, quick question: I'm considering investing in this tank and was curious about the noise level. Would you consider it fairly quiet compared to other tanks you've had, or is it on the loud side?

Noise always seems to be the first question my wife asks me when I tell her I'm considering a new tank!

Thanks.

medred, quick question: I'm considering investing in this tank and was curious about the noise level. Would you consider it fairly quiet compared to other tanks you've had, or is in on the loud side?

Noise always seems to be the first question my wife asks me when I tell her I'm considering a new tank!

Thanks.

The Solana is my first saltwater tank but I find it to be very quiet. It's certainly better than all the fresh water tanks I have had over the years.

My FW tanks are have zero noise level since they use virtually silent canisters. Like GentleBen says, the this tank is very quiet. The only noise I have so far is the gentle whirring the vortech makes. I'm not running the skimmer yet so I can't give feedback on that. I did upgrade the skimmer so hopefully that will keep the noise level down as well.

The_Yellow_Pony

Pharmacy's....just plead your case. They tend to be more understanding when they know your not looking to shoot up ^_^.

If they give you a hard time, farm supply stores usually carry them.

Archived