Coral Vue Hydros

NappyRootz 12G Cadlights!

NappyRoots

Hello!!

Welcome and hope all of you are doing well :P !

After doing a lot of research in a top-of-the-line all in one tank, came across the cadlights 12 gallon, just wanted to keep a pretty small, coral, fish set-up in my room...This decision took prolly 3 months, of exhaustive reading hehe!!!

Well, the setup is a 12 Gallon Cadlights w/ Refugium... Bio-Filtration mode !! Ordered it by fishtanksdirect.com following a recommendation by another caduser here in the forums... The tank was sent to Panama(Central America), where im currently living... Shipping + Price = around $375 us dollars... Yeah the tank is 40 pounds haha...bit pricy, but its a HIGH-QUALITY tank!

Features:

The tank itself is pretty well built, all glass made, about 15'' tall, has a black acrylic background which you have color options(blue or black)...

The Refugium has 3 chambers as is,

1st chamber: Loaded with floss and sand bed...

2nd chamber: Live rock rubbles, sand bed and a SeaGel Organic & Phosphate Control 100ml...

3rd chamber: Stock Pump

Lights are 2x T5 SO & 2x actinic blues , eventhough it says they are HO... Meanwhile im keeping them stock...

Mods:

- Bought a 1200 maxijet, for a bit more flow, but it has a lot of power, and sandstorms all over the tank, so yeah, im sticking with the stock pump...until i find a better replacement.

Im using the maxijet as a source to fill the tank... =)

- Future mod will be the lightning, its just as good, but ive seen people changing em for a 70w metal halide, or 150...

- Need to buy a heater, and maybe a skimmer, but i dont think its neccessary...

Cycling

Tank has been up for a week now...

Ive added:

Corals: Ricordea Florida Greens and Orange Greens!!

Inverts: Coral Banded Shrimp(soon getting him out, he wants to kill em hermits and prolly the fish when i put them in), 2x Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs..

Added 20 Pounds of live rock... very neat with purple coraline...

Gonna wait 2 or 3 weeks to add any fish...depending on the readings that is

Temp : 78F

Salinity: 1.0265

PH: 8.2

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10

Ammonia: 0

Overall:

Nice tank, crystal clear,

perfect round corners, i love glass tanks, im a esthetic paranoid, which like to clean the glass a lot to see it clear, so with acrylic it will scratch hehe!!

Some pictures!!! Sorry, im still learning to photograph the tank, Pictures are taken with an old Sony DSC- V3

tank2h.jpg

tank1c.jpg

tank3d.jpg

Thanks, for reading, and feel free to comment on anything, suggestions, etc, we all are here to learn =) !

Peace

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great! JBJ makes a fine tank also - havent heard of this one before though.

The lighting seems a bit weak - but it might just be the shots you took. None the less, a HO or 70w MH would do the tank well. Lighting is one of the most important aspects for corals.

Nice scape too - I think you are going to enjoy setting this guy up!

CrownOfficial

great look so far, what are you planing on adding as time progresses. i like this tank. i might get one myself :]

great look so far, what are you planing on adding as time progresses. i like this tank. i might get one myself :]

thx DC & Soaptray... yeap i took like 1 whole day chosing an aquascape i was happy with... haha!

well i will be adding,

corals:

zoas, different kinds, to make it colorfull!!

some acroporas and brains, but i believe i need better lightning for em...

inverts:

2x red hermits, 5x snails, a star, .. dont have anything else in mind, maybe a skunk, but basicly a good CUC !!

FISH, hard decision for me, i was thinking of 2x perculas, yellow clown goby, and a royal gramma, dont wanna overstock it though... any suggestions on colorfull fish? ive also thought of dwarf coral beauty angelfish which grows to 2 inches...

any suggestions on inverts, corals and fish would be appreciated, hehe!!

i was planning on a mandarin as my centerpiece and a yellowclown goby, but mandarins have to be nursed... and i dont have time for that..

thx for comments,

NappyRootzzz!

hey where did you get this tank? its sweet

u can order it from cadlights.com

or from

fishtanksdirect.com ( where i did)

Its in Florida, thats why, hehe!

thx for the comments btw... :P

sorry for spamming so many pictures, one last shot from today, intent of macro with a sony handycam hehe!

macroric.jpg

macrohermit2.jpg

macrohermit.jpg

New Readings, btw- using Instant Ocean -Ocean Master Aquarium Test Kit...

PH: 7.8

Ammonia: 0.2

Nitrite : 0.0

Nitrate : 0.0

Alkalinity (Precision Test): 2.25

Help me with the readings? i know ph is low...

Cycle : 9-10 days

how do you like the stock lighting? i know you said you wanted to mod it but i wanted to know what you thought about the stock lighting.

how do you like the stock lighting? i know you said you wanted to mod it but i wanted to know what you thought about the stock lighting.

The stock lightning is ok. It looks great, both the actinics and the t5's, although there are some reports that say ,people should buy spare 11'' t5 bulbs from cadlights just in case these ones get damaged.

But of course any nano-tank can be modded, to your idea of ''perfection'' ... and well, I think a 70w metal halide would do a huge difference, since 150w is just too much in my opinion.

But, if lightning is your primary concern on choosing this tank, buy a 70w viper, they are not expensive at all...the tank is worth every penny, and yeah, I bought it, knowing that i had to replace the lights, but so far, so good, so ill do it in the future...

Bottom line is, if they sold me tank for the same price, with no lights at all, would i buy it? OF COURSE!! heheh

hope this helped...

where do u get ur rics? nice tank. :)

hi weeber, thx for the nice comment =)

I get them at the LPS, they sold me like 20 polyps of green ric for $15 , and 10 polyps of orange for the same price...

Next week, im going to these friends hotel in an island near by, to see if I can find other diverse corals...

take care =)

Very nice Setup... You made the best decision when you went C.A.D. !

Looks Great Nappy!

Jon...

Hi Jon, haha thx, well, yes all of you helped me with the decision...and im very glad with the results..

I see you finished your little experiment, looks great, that should be in the DIY bestsss! haha :P

I so want to put leds in my tank :( Guess im gonna copy from you hehehe!

thx again jon...

Those Ric's are crazy!! Ricordea garden ;)

thx jacob, soon it will be hehe!! im trying to get my hands on a blue one!!! =)

Ya well it will look sweet and does now. Also, you got a really good deal on them...

thx, really appreciate it....

=) ...

help help!!!

lot of brown algae in rocks, and green algae starting to grow... i leave lights on 8 - 10 hours aprox. every day.. nitrates are 0.. cycle is in 12 days...

are there any product that help against this?

its not that much until now, but its propagating, better stop it now before its too late... help will be muchh appreciated, plzz!

thxx

i think i will pull the trigger and get one of these 12 gallon tanks. the only thing is, i emailed cadlights about stronger lighting, and they told me they could give me a clamp on 150watt mh for an extra $100. making the total $275 before shipping. Do you think i should go with the 150 mh or just go with the 32 watt t5s? i dont want to go overkill on the light but then again i dont want to have to buy a mh in the future for it. decisions decisions, only if they had a 70 watt mh to go with it instead of the 150.

i think i will pull the trigger and get one of these 12 gallon tanks. the only thing is, i emailed cadlights about stronger lighting, and they told me they could give me a clamp on 150watt mh for an extra $100. making the total $275 before shipping. Do you think i should go with the 150 mh or just go with the 32 watt t5s? i dont want to go overkill on the light but then again i dont want to have to buy a mh in the future for it. decisions decisions, only if they had a 70 watt mh to go with it instead of the 150.

i say, thats a pretty good deal.. and go for it...

like i said, its really a matter of what kind of corals you gonna get, and if you need the extra light go for it... there's another thread, with both peeps owning cadlights, with 150 mh fixture, and they happy with it...

but u definetly gotta buy a heater =), its a must if you going the 150w way...

Archived