Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

nvDiZ's 24 Nano Start

nvdiz

Hey guys, I started a thread in some other section, before I found this one. oops... Anyways I recently bought a JBJ 24G and started it up over the weekend that just passed. Take a look! I wish I could post some pics of adding sand and previous aquascape, but I can't upload them for some reason.

8-10 lbs Fiji Base Rock

15 lbs Fiji Live Rock

20lbs of Live Sand

Equipment:

Lighting: 150W MH w/ a 14k bulb + 14W Antinics

Hydor Koralia 1

Some random pump

1st Chamber

Floss

2nd Chamber

24NC Sapphire Skimmer

3rd Chamber

Heater and maxi 1200

Hitch Hikers:

Green Star Polyps

Red Mushroom

Some Featherworms

Aiptasia at the moment

2 x Blue Dwarf Hermit Crab

Bristleworms

A small crab with tiny pincers

Front

DSCN0610.jpg

Left

DSCN0612.jpg

Aiptasia

DSCN0611.jpg

GSP

DSCN0609.jpg

Red Mushrooms

DSCN0608.jpg

Another Front Shot

DSCN0607.jpg

I'm loving the coralline... I might pick up some more rock tomorrow (about 5-10lbs). A local reefer sells them for $5lb. I also ordered some aiptasia x to get rid of the little punks in this tank.

I got a couple more pieces of rock, and I should be getting some aiptasia-x through the mail sometime soon. I'll let you guys know how that goes... (I found 3 ginormous beasts in the new rocks) My tank is still cycling according to my parameters. I also found a couple bristleworms, I took them out. My dissecting kit actually came to good use. Hopefully I won't be seeing anymore anytime soon.

pH-8.0

Ammonia-0

Nitrite -.5

Nitrate- 0

Here's a few pics of the tank. Don't mind the quality please, I'm using my cell phone cause I couldn't find the camera...

IMG00143.jpg

IMG00144.jpg

I hope I kill these suckers b4 they spread some more...

IMG00145.jpg

thanx, and thats good to hear. should be here anytime soon... also getting a new hood tomorrow from a local reefer. I'll eventually get a sunpod, but since im just trying to get this tank established, i'll stick with the hood.

i just checked my water:

pH- 8.0

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 5

salinity - 1.022

guys is my cycle over? its only been less than a week... can i get some help on this please!? btw, if it is over, how much of a water change should i do? 20% or more?

btw, i added a surface skimmer and a koralia 1. here's some new pics

DSCN0614.jpg

DSCN0615.jpg

DSCN0616.jpg

DSCN0617.jpg

i bought them off a local reefer around my place. he had nice corraline covered rocks going for $5 per lb. And lucky me, the ones I got had some red mushrooms and green star polyps. though one piece i got had some huge aiptasia.

i finally received the aiptasia x yesterday and took out the suckers. this morning i have yet to see one come out ;). ill keep it posted if i spot anymore. i also decided to do another water test. i dont get it... i've yet to see any trace of ammonia...

if it matters, i bought my live rock cured and all of it was transported with water no more than 30 min from the source. can that explain why there's been little if any die off? i'm gonna keep testing over the week to try and figure out where i am with the cycle.

pH- 8.0

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - around 5

salinity - 1.022

lookin good. Its probably that you had no die off, so there wasn't much of a cycle.Still you should wait around a month to add anything. Also, your salinity could be a bit higher.

lookin good. Its probably that you had no die off, so there wasn't much of a cycle.Still you should wait around a month to add anything. Also, your salinity could be a bit higher.

thanx, ya ill wait it out some more and continue my testing. btw a little update on some hitchhiker corals, i found 2 more tiny red mushrooms on some rock and all appear to be opening up fully. I also found some more GSP that decided to open up as well. aside from that, nothing new yet.

just a minor update, i came home today and found some signs of a diatom bloom. got some spots on my sand, glass, return, and mag float. i can't really tell if there are any on the rocks. is this a sign to add a small clean up crew when i hit the massive bloom? or should i water change then add the cuc?

tested water again and here it goes...

pH- 8.2

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 5-10

salinity - 1.022

don't water change yet. you need to let it continue to cycle. your cycle may be shorter than a month if you got "cured" LR from the "reefer man." I would wait for the daitoms to go down (takes about a week), and then add some CUC members. Remember you're creating a biotope, so you want everything to "balance out" naturally - let nature take it's course.

hey, thanks for the advice. ya i havnt changed it yet, i figured id wait another week or two to see how everything is going. anyways ive been testing my water everyday the past week and im getting consistent results:

pH- 8.0

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 5 or 0

salinity - 1.024

i upped the salinity slowly a couple days ago cuz i also thought 1.022 was a little low. i also am not sure if my nitrate is 5 or 0 (API Kit). It's been the same color the past week...

• 4 weeks later...

i had to repost this cuz of the data loss a couple days ago...

its been a little over a month since i got the tank up and running. after consistent good water parameters i decided to add a CUC a couple days after the 2nd week, of course after a 25% water change. by the 3rd week, i decided to add two clownfish. a couple days ago, i just added a yellow watchman goby. Everything looks healthy, so I guess i'm doing good so far.

I'm currently using the stock hood, but I got a 150W metal halide pendant coming by next week and hopefully my corals will like it. For filtration I'm running some filter floss, purigen, and chemipure. I also have a soap dish w/ some chaeto and a small chunk of LR as a fuge (thinking about getting a skimmer). As for water movement I have the stock pump near the bottom of my tank running, a K1 running mid level, and a maxi 1200 return.

I reaquascaped my tank a couple weeks ago, and I think it came out really nice. I got some rock touching the glass, but I'll do my best to keep it clean if I can.

Heres my current livestock

Fish:

- 2 x Percula Clownfish

- 1 Yellow Watchman Goby

Inverts:

- 5 x astrea

- 5 x cerith

- 2 x nassarius

- hitch hiker stomatellas

Corals

- Green Open Brain

- Couple of random common zoos

- Frogspawn

- Hammer

- Candy Cane

- Ricordea

- GSP

Water Parameters as of last night:

Ammonia : 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Phosphate: 0

pH: 8.2

s.g. : 1.0245

6/19/09

DSCN0614.jpg

7/12/09

IMG00166.jpg

Picture Updates

Frogspawn

DSCN0620.jpg

Fuzzy Green Mushrooms being hosted by one of my Clowns

DSCN0621.jpg

Open Green Brain (not sure exactly what genus/species) being hosted by the other clown

DSCN0622.jpg

My Hammer

DSCN0623.jpg

A Small Zoa Garden w/ common zoos... I'm working on the High End stuff

DSCN0624.jpg

My two clowns

DSCN0629.jpg

YWG

DSCN0631.jpg

Other Frogspawn

DSCN0632.jpg

Other pics

DSCN0630.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0634.jpg

I'm still learning how to use the camera I have so bear with me. BTW, I got a new light fixture coming in tomorrow! I can't wait!

BTW, if you guys dont know yet... I'm looking for a protein skimmer and still unsure of what to get. Ideas would be nice.

I love the rock setup, and your fish look great. I think the frogspawn and hammer coral are my favorite. Also thank you for your input on my filter.

thanks and no problem. like you I'm here to learn.

UPDATE

I moved some corals around and finally got around to finding a permanent spot to glue my hammer and frogspawn. I also got my new light fixture a couple days ago and its really lighting up the tank. In case you guys are wondering, I went ahead with a odyssea mh 150W w/ 14W antinics, cause i figured why not. No money wasn't an issue, its just that we have one for our 75G and it looks pretty sweet.

The original 15k bulb gives off a yellowish tint. Nothing too bad, but looks perfect with the antinics. Regardless, I just ordered a 20K bulb to give it a nice overall color. I also got a sapphire skimmer coming sometime soon hopefully, but im gonna have to wait out the installation due to a missing pump that im ordering soon.

I bought some egg crate a couple days ago and built myself a ghetto, but somewhat effective media tray to fit in the first chamber. Also made a temporary cover for the tank and cut and used the extra pieces as a screen to acclimate the corals to the new lights. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

post-14571-1247390608_thumb.jpg

I just ordered some corals and just waiting for them to come in. Still waiting on my skimmer and pump and hopefully that'll come in soon as well. Here are some new pics of the same old stuff...

DSCN0653.jpg

DSCN0654.jpg

DSCN0661.jpg

DSCN0662.jpg

this is the last week of classes and really should be studying, but i just cant get away from my tank...

YWG hanging hanging out with a clown

DSCN0672.jpg

combined zoo/paly rock i put together. cant wait to see it grow out

DSCN0675.jpg

some zoos

DSCN0676.jpg

hammer from our 75 that i'm trying to rehab

DSCN0677.jpg

an orange/red monti

DSCN0678.jpg

cant get the exact color, but this is actually teal and looks really cool

DSCN0680.jpg

the garden

DSCN0681.jpg

frogspawn with some zoos

DSCN0682.jpg

hammer again

DSCN0683.jpg

my hitchhiker red mushrooms. doing good, no new polyps yet...

DSCN0684.jpg

candycanes... i cant get them to fully open up.

DSCN0685.jpg

FTS

DSCN0689.jpg

I'm getting the hang of the camera and just having fun so dont mind the retakes

Archived