Top Shelf Aquatics

My 29 gal biocube adventure

PrincessLiLi

PrincessLiLi

Hello everyone and welcome to my biocube perfecting page...i have a 29 gal biocube and its been runing since Jan.09...this is my first reef tank and i want to perfect it and i need everyones help.

-original stock lighting

-in the process of removing bioballs(pretty skeptical but im almsot done with removing them)

-biocube protein skimmer

-25 pounds of live sand

-30 pounds of lr

Livestock

-8 blue legged hermits

-10 astrea snails

-10 cerith snails

-1 emerald crab

-1 firefish

-1 scooter blenny

-1 leather coral

-6 inch rock with zoas

-5 inch brain coral

i want to perfect my bicubes filtration....in the future i also plan on changing the lighting...im also going to get a vortech...im kinda not sure about the aquascape but i also plan on buying a few more pounds of rock so i could position the corals and stuff..i need suggestions or advice on whats next and how should i manage my tank...as we go along i will be posting pics so tune in... B)

(to see the pics upclose feel free to click on them so they can expand)

PrincessLiLi

this is my tank back in Feb 09 (the first 2)

this is my tank as of today since i went to the lfs and bought 2 new corals(the last 3)

post-43559-1244597196_thumb.jpg

post-43559-1244597288_thumb.jpg

post-43559-1244597298_thumb.jpg

post-43559-1244597570_thumb.jpg

post-43559-1244597578_thumb.jpg

PrincessLiLi

thats a leather coral and a brain coral..lol i was about to get arrested by the SPS police

upclose pics

the last two pics are the polyps i have

post-43559-1244598873_thumb.jpg

post-43559-1244598884_thumb.jpg

post-43559-1244598933_thumb.jpg

post-43559-1244598943_thumb.jpg

PrincessLiLi

Today i was looking at my brain coral i purchased yesterday and it looks alil brown around the edges..i tried raising the alk nd calcium. any suggestions

• 3 weeks later...
PrincessLiLi

The way i usually maintain my tank is every 2 weeks i change 4 gallons of water with nurtisea water..

I add trace elements every 2 weeks and everyday i add two drops of alk... Every 2 days i add half a cap of purple up and every week i add like two drops of iodide and strontium a week... Somtimes i turn on the skimmer for a few hours.

• 1 month later...
BLoCkCliMbeR

i like your scape.....its got lots of potential.....but i got a question about your dosing....just a drop or two?

you should test a bit more....maybe invest in a two part insted of relying on snake oil supplements....

crazy tarzan

is that the oceanic skimmer for the bc 29? How's it working for you? I'm considering getting one as well for my tank (I also have a bc 29). Like the rock work.

is that the oceanic skimmer for the bc 29? How's it working for you? I'm considering getting one as well for my tank (I also have a bc 29). Like the rock work.

that is the oceanic protein skimmer in her picture. i have it and it produces some green water in the collection cup.

PrincessLiLi
i like your scape.....its got lots of potential.....but i got a question about your dosing....just a drop or two?

you should test a bit more....maybe invest in a two part insted of relying on snake oil supplements....

what u mean a two part like what??? i dont dose the strontium and all that other stuff i just add some trace elements....they put snake oil in those products???

awww thanks for the compliment...i had to change the scape again tho i haven been keeping my theard updated but i will post new pics tomorrow...i have no idea where to put the brain coral and im gonna get more rocks...

what u mean a two part like what??? i dont dose the strontium and all that other stuff i just add some trace elements....they put snake oil in those products???

awww thanks for the compliment...i had to change the scape again tho i haven been keeping my theard updated but i will post new pics tomorrow...i have no idea where to put the brain coral and im gonna get more rocks...

the skimmer works alright i suggest u get one its not that expensive just 30 bucks..i have green water in mines too..and when i dose i just put a drop or two..

• 4 weeks later...

Hey read your thread about growing more coraline. Like it has already been covered of course you must have.

- Coraline already present in your system (rock, snail shells, etc.)

- Have to give it some time. Id say if its a newly setup system, youll need at least 2 months to be fair.

- The more stable the parameters the better. And using purple up is not the greatest choice for this. It does give you a rough guide as to what your getting into. But It makes more of a mess than anything IMO.

- Different things work better for everybody.

What has worked for me is, I just switched to Reef Crystals. I do a 4.5 gallon water change every weekend. I put 4.5 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket and add my salt. I throw in my powerhead and my heater preset to 79*F. Also throw in my floating hydrometer. I check back on it in couple hours to make sure my sal, temp, and ph are all where I want them. The first couple batches I checked my ph, sal, temp, cal, alk, and mag. They were all within good range so I dont test at each batch anymore. I wait until about the same time the next day, then I make the change.

My Coraline has exploded over the past month! My K1 is almost all purple even the cord to is turning purple and pink. Its one my glass near the bottom. On my back wall as well. My ora pink birds nest is growing like a weed now, for example.. Everything is looking great! I dont run a skimmer anymore either. I dont do any dosing at all. I have a center chamber fuge filled with chaeto algae. My pH swings from 8.0-8.2 over the course of a day which isnt too awful for such a small tank.

• 1 month later...

Archived