"Garf Bonsai" Acropora sp.

"Pink Lemonade" Acropora sp.

Miscellaneous ORA Acropora sp.

"Tyree Birdsnest" Ponape Seriatopora

"War Coral" Favia sp.

"4th of July" Favia sp.

"Bubble Gum Chalice" Echinophyllia sp.

"Laserbeam Chalice" Echinophyllia sp.

"LE Miami Hurricane Chalice" Echinophyllia sp.

"ORA Blue Chalice" Echinophyllia sp.

"Miami Hurricane Acanthastrea echinata

Purple/Yellow Turbinaria sp.

Blue Tipped Acropora sp.

"Green Slimer" Acropora sp.

Orange Montipora digitata

Orange Montipora capricornis

"LE Idaho Grape" Montipora capricornis

Purple Polyped Montipora capricornis

Green Montipora capricornis

"Superhero" Montipora sp.

"FNF RedBug" Montipora sp.

True Montipora undata

"ORA Hawkins's Blue" Arcopora echinata

Purple Acropora valida

"Tri-color" Acropora valida

ORA Green Duncanopsammia axifuga

Australian Blastomussa wellsi

Orange/Green Australian Blastomussa wellsi

Purple/Green Australian Blastomussa wellsi

"Orange Crush" Acanthastrea lordhowensis

"Australian Rainbow" Acanthastrea lordhowensis

Miscellaneous Acanthastrea lordhowensis

White "Pipe Organ" Tubipora musica

Dendrophyllia sp.

Miscellaneous Florida Ricordea sp.

"Superman" Lobophyllia hemprichii

Pink/Blue Stylophora sp.

"Radioactive Dragon-eye" Zoanthid sp.

Green Zoanthid sp.

"Cat's Eye" Zoanthid sp.

"Devil's Armor" Zoanthid sp.

"African Blue Hornet" Zoanthid sp.

Turquoise Palythoa sp.

Palythoa grandis

Green Striped Palythoa sp.

Tridacna maxima Clam

Tridacna crocea Clam

Green Fuzzy Cactus Psamicora sp.

Fish:

2 neon gobies

Invertebrates:

A Few Emerald Crabs

2 Tiger Tail Cucumbers

Pencil Urchin

Nerite Snails

Dwarf Cerith Snails

Nassarius Snails

Scarlet leg Hermit's

Live Rock and Sand:

And as for live rock, we used 20lbs of aragonite in the sump, 5lbs of live rock rubble in the sump, 78lbs of live rock in the tank, 80lbs of live sand, and 20lbs of dry sand.

Equipment:

Under the Stand: Reef doser dosing B-Ionic 2 times daily, Korallin sulfur denitrator, Ozone dosed with Milwaukee redox controller, Aqua Euro skimmer (with ozone input), custom topoff with Aqualifter pump dosing kalkwasser, Magdrive return pump.

Pumps: One Koralia 3, one Koralia 2, one Koralia nano, one new 1400gph Koralia, Vortec MP10 (set for nutrient transport mode).

Lights: Outer orbit fixture with 2x150W 20K Radium's running on a galaxy ballast, 2 true actinic ATI T5's, 1 blue ATI T5, and 1 aquablue ATI T5.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
davidncbrown

ha! I meant koralia's. I was thinking about how I like the koralia nano in our current tank and I must have just typed that because I was thinking about it. I figure a couple koralia 2's or maybe 3's.

davidncbrown
Congratulations on your upgrade! I sent you a PM.

Thanks! And got your PM. We're super excited to get this thing set up, but I have to get rid of my 40 gallon planted tank first, its kinda in the way haha.

davidncbrown

Alright so here's some overall pics of the tank and some of what I've done so far. I'll post more later.

IMG_4350_1536x2048.jpg

Here is the overall tank.

IMG_4351_1536x2048.jpg

Here is the overflow, and the return loc-line I put in.

IMG_4352_1536x2048.jpg

The 20 gallon aquarium I will be using as a sump/refugium.

IMG_4355_1536x2048.jpg

This is the stand.

IMG_4356_1536x2048.jpg

Durso overflow pipe.

IMG_4357_1536x2048.jpg

The plumbing for the overflow.

IMG_4359_1536x2048.jpg

I put a disconnect for when I clean the tube, and there is a ball valve incase anything ever goes screwey.

This is what I've uploaded so far. I'll put more pics up later. I drilled the holes in the stand for the bulkheads, and I installed the bulkheads onto the tank with some silicone. All in all everything is starting to look good. Oh, and I sold the 40 gallon planted tank so now this one has a home :)

davidncbrown

Thanks man! I'm super stoked to get this thing up and running. I need to finish building the sump, and paint the back of the tank before I can set it up. Someone told me Krylon Fusion works well for painting the back. Any thoughts?

Looking good indeed :D!

Yep, everyone I talk to says Krylon Fusion. I've never used it myself, but that is what I would buy if I was going to get something :)

SpankythePyro

lol sorry but i thought of john and kate + 8 when i saw the thread title!

I love 75's tho! Get a little powder blue!

davidncbrown
lol sorry but i thought of john and kate + 8 when i saw the thread title!

I love 75's tho! Get a little powder blue!

Haha. Powder blue's are sick. I think my gf and I are going to do a breding pair of clowns and a couple other fish she has wanted that we couldn't do in our nano.

Its looking good so far. Please keep us updated with pics so we can see your progress.

Bruce

Most definitely! :)

davidncbrown

Ok so I haven't updated in a few days because my internet wasn't working :angry: and photobucket wouldn't upload my pictures... :angry: I finally got a couple of them to upload.

IMG_4361_1536x2048.jpg

Here are the bulkheads siliconed in place

IMG_4360_1536x2048.jpg

Drillid holes in the stand for the bulkheads to fit through. The holes have since been cleaned up around the edges.

IMG_4373_1536x2048.jpg

Completed sump, doing a test run. I need to add about an inch section to the middle baffle because I wasn't paying attention when I was glueing it and placed it level with the others.

IMG_4374_1536x2048.jpg

Also I put a couple acrylic legs under the skimmer, instead of a plastic cup.

davidncbrown
haha I like the makeshift skimmer stand, how unstable is it?

Pretty shoddy if you ask me haha. I just needed to find the right height and I was trying everything. That cup seemed to do it. Now the skimmer has two pieces of acrylic the same height as the cup tacked on as legs with a little weldon-16. I'm just waiting for my girlfriend to have a day off work so she can help me put the tank on the stand. Then I'll hook up the plumbing and filler up!

davidncbrown

I just got pieces of acrylic in the mail yesterday from Tap-Plastics for making the lids for the tank. Acrylic bends a bit under the heat from a metal halide, but it has excellent light transmission and I don't notice any glare from it like you can get with a glass top. If there are any serious bending problems I will probably add an acrylic brace to keep them from warping.

And here's whats going to happen in the very near future:

60-80lbs of live rock depending on how porous it is

80lbs live sand

20lbs of aragonite in sump

~5lbs live rock rubble in sump

chaeto in same chamber as aragonite and live rock

I'm also going to set up an auto top off system with a float switch and an aqualifter pump. Everything is going to be in the stand, so this will look very sleek when completed.

The light we want is currently on back-order from drs foster and smith. Marine depot doesn't carry it anymore! :(

Within about a month of having this tank up and running we plan to transfer some of our less sensitive corals (probably zoas, palys, ric's, etc.) and our fish (purple firefish, algae blenny, scooter blenny) over from our nano cube. Once everything is transferred over I will probably be fragging some of our zoa's and palys and mushrooms for sale so keep an eye out if your interested (we have dragon eyes, radioactive dragon eyes, cats eye, misc orange zoas, devils armor, turquoise palys, a couple misc palys, green striped mushrooms, red mushrooms, purple mushrooms, and snowflake polyps.)

The new tank will not have any mushrooms, or snowflake polyps in it because they grow like weeds and are hard to keep in check.

SpankythePyro
Pretty shoddy if you ask me haha. I just needed to find the right height and I was trying everything. That cup seemed to do it. Now the skimmer has two pieces of acrylic the same height as the cup tacked on as legs with a little weldon-16. I'm just waiting for my girlfriend to have a day off work so she can help me put the tank on the stand. Then I'll hook up the plumbing and filler up!

yea I was being sarcastic about the little red cup lol

davidncbrown

Ahh sarcasm... Thanks for the insight there spanky! :P

That is one awesome tank youve got there! Everything is looking great.

Hey you too! haha.

davidncbrown

Today was exciting. Why might you ask? Because we got sand, live rock, our tank got aquascaped and filled with water! :D

Here's some pictures of the process and the results.

IMG_4375_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4376_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4377_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4379_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4380_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4383_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4384_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4410_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4406_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4407_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4408_1536x2048.jpg

IMG_4409_1536x2048.jpg

This is the whole thing tonight after all the dust has been filtered out of the water column.

IMG_4404_1536x2048.jpg

davidncbrown
ballllllllllllinnnnnnnn nice aquascape

Thanks! :D We got lucky and they had some really nice LR. Lots of holes, caves, etc. We still want a couple more pieces, but for now everything is nice. The fish will be really happy having lots of holes to swim through, thats for sure!

davidncbrown

48" Outer Orbit 2x150W/T5. Gonna throw a couple phoenix 14K bulbs in there. It's gonna look reeeeeal nice. ;)

Archived