Top Shelf Aquatics

Monosyth's Ocean2point0 - Starting over!

monosyth

Current FTS, Nov 10, 2016

ftsnov10.jpg

Previous Inhabitants - follow the thread for changes!

Inverts:
Random snails including 2 Mexican Turbos
Random Hermits
Pistol Shrimp
Hitchhiker crab
Crocea Clam

Corals:
Whatever you see in the pix.

Fish:
2 True Percula Clown
Flame Angel
Banggai Cardinal
Yellow Watchman Goby
Blue Yellowtail Damsel

30 lbs Live Rock
30 lbs Live Sand

34 Gal RSM 130D

Mods and Additions:
Aquaticlife 24" 4x24 T5
MP10
Tunze 9002 and skimmer cup
inTank Rack
JBJ ATO
Stealth 150w heater - (A different brand now, I don't trust Stealth anymore - June 2014)
Mighty Mite RO/DI

Hi all,

I've been on this site since last September and have finally moved to a place that I can fit an RSM 130D in. So I just wanted to go over my shopping list and am asking for suggestions:

- Red Sea Max 130D (Dr Fosters has a $75 coupon for liveaquaria.com)
- Koralia 2
- Flo-Rotating Deflector
- API Master Salt Water Test Kit
- API Calcium Test
- API KH/Carbonate Test
- Chemi-Pure Elite 11.74 oz
- Purigen
- 1/2" diameter Tubing (10 ft)
- 150 watt Visi-Therm Stealth Heater
- Portable Refractometer
- Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead
- Coralife Digital Thermometer
- Tunze 9002 Skimmer
- StevieT's RSM accessories - rack, skimmer cup and poly filter
- JBJ ATO
- (2) 5-gal buckets - From Lowes

What else is there that I may be missing?
I am planning on 40# of LS and 40+# LR
Also, mostly corals and inverts, a few fish: goby, percola, cleaner shrimp

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the maxijet for the ATO?

what is water repair? I see no use for this product. A stealth 200W heater is fine, a 150W is more than enough though.

The Tunze is going to run you $152 no matter where you look. They have a price lock.

Thanks for input. The Maxijet is part of the kit they are selling, to use for mixing water. It's part of this list: (I figure that I can save some by getting the kit vs separately.

Saltwater Mixing Kit (dr fosters) includes:

~ 1/2" diameter Tubing (10 ft)

~ 200 watt Visi-Therm Stealth Heater

~ Portable Refractometer

~ Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead

~ 16 oz Water Repair™ Neutralize

~ Coralife Digital Thermometer

So, I'm wondering what else i need to make that JBJ ATO work...

screw the kit.

Get a 150W stealth.

Siphon tube at a hardware store or petstore

Use the pump from the Stock protein skimmer

Stock RSM heater

Cheap corallife therm

You can use a maxjet 1200 for a JBJ ato and 1/2" ID tubing.

Unless their kit is worth it, price it out since it comes with a refractor ($40) The water repair is junk don't use it. RO/DI water and salt is what you use in your mx.

What kind of tongs should I get to move stuff around? and should I get gloves, any recommendations?

I did end up ordering everything separately and not getting the "mixing kit". Got (2) 5 gal buckets from Lowes tonight. Need to pick up tongs of some sort and a turkey baster at walmart as well. I guess I will look for long gloves too.

I also ordered a Mighty Mite with DI as well. I don't want to lug water all over the place.

Yay! Some things arrived today.. I have no patience... I overnighted / 2 dayed everything. Except the ground shipped RSM. Oh well, by the time it gets here I'll have gone through all the extras and gotten to know them individually.

I was looking at the Flo Deflector and thought that went on the Koralia 2, but I think I've realized that goes on the jet output on the tank?

IMG_2906.JPG

Yay! Some things arrived today.. I have no patience... I overnighted / 2 dayed everything. Except the ground shipped RSM. Oh well, by the time it gets here I'll have gone through all the extras and gotten to know them individually.

I was looking at the Flo Deflector and thought that went on the Koralia 2, but I think I've realized that goes on the jet output on the tank?

IMG_2906.JPG

Yes, The Hydor Flow goes on the return and disperses the water in different directions. I had one for my 14g BC but ended up ditching it because it dramatically cuts the amount of flow into the tank, and also is kinda flimsy (prone to breaking/not rotating correctly)

And another package arrived... now where's my RSM and media baskets B)

Oh yah, I ordered a medium mag float... it seems big! What do you all use in your RSM's?

IMG_2907.JPG

SpankythePyro

nice, take your time and I hope you've been saving your pennies, You've spend alot already and you dont even have any rock, sand, corals, or fish :)

I know, I know! I am going to have to have jedi force patience with livestock et al. I wanted to do this right, so I just went all out and got what was recommended by all on here. I am open to advice as I go through this adventure!

SpankythePyro

Well its good to buy everything you need at the beginning, allows stuff to be set up and balanced before the more fragile things arrive (bacteria,fish,corals).

Goodluck, I love the sleekness of RSM's, I wanted a 250 but the store that was having its liquidation sale sold it before I could get there :(

Thanks StevieT!

And now for my personal reviews on LFS for North County San Diego :P

Ok, today I ran all over north county (San Diego) and went to 4 LFSs. My goal was to find the best live rock.

Notes on LFSs (My opinion may change later on.. but... anyway. I've also been to all of these stores but it's been a while)

Encinitas Tropical Fish: (El Camino Real) This place isn't bad. They have live rocks in huge bins. But pieces are big and the water it sits in is kinda brown.. but maybe thats normal. $5-6 /lb pretty good coral selections. good prices.

Creative Aquatics: (Oceanside Blvd and I-5) This place well, is best left for the birds, cause all they got is pickings left. A sad excuse for a store. However, I think they do a lot of servicing and house calls? Live rock looks like it was left over from other tanks. Yikes.

Tri-City Tropical Fish: (Melrose, Vista/Oceanside border) This place isn't bad they didn't have any live rock in store. He said he could order it, but it would be 50lbs, and I would get the whole box. No hand picking. :angry: They have good prices here however. Equipment, fish and coral. Not a huge selection, but looks OK. This place is closest to me.

Deep Sea Creations: (79 S in Temecula next to Best Buy) If Apple made an aquarium store, this would be it. It's a beautiful store. It's like going *to* the aquarium. Awesome selection of CUC critters. Good/OK selection of corals (last time i was there, there was a better selection). The guy that owns this place is super helpful. Plus, he has a demo of a Red Sea Max set up. Oh... and the live rock selection - Perfect! an area with 3 small acrylic bins of rock. Tongan (I was surprised... can't normally get this stuff), and 2 other kinds.. Tongan was $10 a lb! High! But it's rare nowadays. the middle bin was $5 lb looked like the usual stuff. and the last bin had 2 types, at $9 /lb.. that type was flatish, good for "shelves". Anyway, so this place has prices that run high, except on corals and fish and some other stuff.

LS was pricey but I picked some up and said I'd be back for the LR. To be able to hand pick that beautiful rock is worth the money.

I'll probably get 10lbs of Tongan and 35+ lbs of the $5/lb. I want to see what 10 lbs looks like though. I would like to get some nice branches to create a great dynamic look. Being a graphic designer, I know I will want to move that rock around and have it look perfect.

So yes, this place is a bit pricey, but they are super friendly, and super knowledgeable.

I didn't get to Aquatic Warehouse in San Diego, which is another favorite for me. They have a HUGE selection of corals for good prices. Huge selection of fish too. They are always busy there, but I like this place.

Fish Haven in Escondido: This used to be my LFS, but I've since moved. I do like this place, and will probably visit at some point. They have a good selection of corals. I remember seeing them randomly have bins of Live Rock... I knew they wouldn't have any on hand.

Also, at a couple of places I noticed Aiptasia on stuff in the tanks, is that normal and a sign of a busy LFS, or a bad sign of a careless LFS?

Anyway, long day and I ended up with 40# of Caribsea Fiji Pink. I will probably use 30# of it.

OH but I did take a pic of their Red Sea Max (RSM) display - it was beautiful:

photo.jpg

SpankythePyro

That is a really nice display tank, but I dont see any fish other than the helfrichi. How active was it? I've heard they are a bore.

It didn't seem to move too much, I never have seen them move much, actually. They sure are purty though.

Figured out my ATO yesterday, set up with two buckets to see how it works. Makes sense to me.

Tracking the RSM... 2 more days it says...

I have enjoyed my experience viewing your picture. A few more would really make my journey complete.

Nice work, cool koralia placement

oh, that was the display RSM at the LFS... I was drooling over it. I had to get a photo, because I liked the tonga rock and wanted it for reference... I am still waiting for mine to arrive.. it is interesting koralia placement though isn't it?

Well.... Went to go pick up my RSM at the shipping warehouse... got it home.

Opened it up... and there it was... a crack in the corner. about 8 inches down the front left corner.

I am sooooooo bummed. I've called Drs Fosters... and they are contacting Red Sea about this.

:tears:

IMG_2913.JPG

Archived