Top Shelf Aquatics

Seahorse tank DIY back wall

richie

Ok I made a rock wall for my nano 24 using pond great stuff with epoxy. I used egg crate as my base, drilled holes in the rock and secured it with zip ties. Right now the sea horses are in a nano 12 while the 24 cycles. The stand is custom made out of pine. Just wanted to share.

post-40678-1243218248_thumb.jpgpost-40678-1243218260_thumb.jpg

post-40678-1243218269_thumb.jpg

post-40678-1244522013_thumb.jpg

So is the bottom pic the 24 or the 12? How are your nitrates, are your water tests coming out ok? Do you have any pics with water?

I've wanted to try this so bad but can't figure it out... where did you get the pond foam? I haven't been able to find it...

So is the bottom pic the 24 or the 12? How are your nitrates, are your water tests coming out ok? Do you have any pics with water?

I've wanted to try this so bad but can't figure it out... where did you get the pond foam? I haven't been able to find it...

The bottom pic is of the 12. The 24 is almost cycled and my girlfriend and I are slowly moving livestock over. My girlfriend found the pond foam at ACE hardware and the epoxy was Zpoxy from a local hobby shop. Here are some updated pictures. I'll have the seahorses moved in a day or too.

post-40678-1243395192_thumb.jpg

post-40678-1243395201_thumb.jpg

post-40678-1243395212_thumb.jpg

uh... hint hint... that was a hint... i said i haven't been able to figure out how to do it... how do you do it?!?

Hint ok got it. I started out with egg crate from home Depot. Make sure you wash it well as there is a debate over egg crate leaking phosphates. I sprayed the pond foam on the egg crate about a half inch thick. The rock is zip tied to the crate. To cover the black pond foam I used Zpoxy mixed with sand and crushed live rock. I even coated the surface skimmer. Here's a link to what gave me the inspiration. I think my wall looks better though. I got lucky and found a really nice flat rock for the center piece.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=1

Hint ok got it. I started out with egg crate from home Depot. Make sure you wash it well as there is a debate over egg crate leaking phosphates. I sprayed the pond foam on the egg crate about a half inch thick. The rock is zip tied to the crate. To cover the black pond foam I used Zpoxy mixed with sand and crushed live rock. I even coated the surface skimmer. Here's a link to what gave me the inspiration. I think my wall looks better though. I got lucky and found a really nice flat rock for the center piece.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=1

wow you must have good water quality if you have been growing that gorgian. i have one myself thats almost that big but ive only had it for about 2 weeks and looks healthy. you should get a night pic of it that way we can see all the white polps :)

ok so i searched zpoxy and theres a few different types. which did you use? the quick set or the longer? the 2 mixing ones or the single tube?

ok so i searched zpoxy and theres a few different types. which did you use? the quick set or the longer? the 2 mixing ones or the single tube?

Here is a picture of the epoxy I used. It's the quick set I wish I had used the 30 minute one. The 5 minute set up so fast I had to keep making small batches. Just mix in the sand and crushed live rock before you brush it on. Good luck. oh yeah and the pond foam.

post-40678-1243741647_thumb.jpg

post-40678-1245917276.jpg

wow you must have good water quality if you have been growing that gorgian. i have one myself thats almost that big but ive only had it for about 2 weeks and looks healthy. you should get a night pic of it that way we can see all the white polps

The gorggian is new so I hasn't opened all the polops yet. I'm adding bioplankton so I expect it to fully open at some point. I added the seahorses a few days ago so here are some updated pic. My girlfriend and I are looking for turtle grass but none of the local stores sell it.

post-40678-1243822031_thumb.jpg

post-40678-1243822041_thumb.jpg

Ok so here are some new pictures. We had a little issue and had to do emergency surgery with one of the seahorses. Went well my girlfriend got all the air out and he seem to be doing fine. It amazes me these things survive in the wild. With the snout rot, air trapped in the adomen and needing to eat three times a day. You'll see in one picture we have a feeding station. The shell is upturned and we blast the mytis shrimp right on it.

SK8URDEAD here is a pic of the gorgian opened up

post-40678-1244257345_thumb.jpg

post-40678-1244257355_thumb.jpg

post-40678-1244257368_thumb.jpg

this is win. i normally don't like false rock walls but you did a good job with this, and i am digging the feeding station. innovative way to make it not stick out.

this is win. i normally don't like false rock walls but you did a good job with this, and i am digging the feeding station. innovative way to make it not stick out.

Thanks alot. I think the trick with false rock walls is to use as much real live rock as you can.

Here's a pic from my 55 gallon reef tank. The rock has had this colony of ???? for over a year and half. I'm not too worried as it grows so slowly but anyone know what it could be.

Yeah my girlfriend is a nurse/seahorse surgeon. Shes the one who decidid on all the plants and figured out we needed a feeding station and rigged the shell... give her duct tape and bobby pin, she'll escape Guantanamo Bay

post-40678-1244339947_thumb.jpg

Sharp Tank!! The rock wall is a real nice touch. can you see any of the epoxy around the rock or threw the sand on the back?

Sharp Tank!! The rock wall is a real nice touch. can you see any of the epoxy around the rock or threw the sand on the back?

Thanks. The trick with the epoxy is to mix in crushed live rock and sand before you brush it on. The pond foam made by great stuff is black so hides easily. The epoxy is clear so when it hardens all you see is the sand and crushed live rock. we're also adding mushroom frags to the gaps between rocks. As the tank has matured the wall looks more and more seamless.

air_puffer
we're also adding mushroom frags to the gaps between rocks.

Are you going to glue the mushroom corals down to? lol, mushroom corals aka fungiids, should be placed on aragonite sand with room to move about and feed on detritus and microbes gathered from the sand and water. They require little current, but in most tanks their zooxanthellae need intense light from metal halides and VHO bulbs capable of delivering energy to the bottom. In a small or shallow aquaria, less light suffices, but funglids are then vulnerable to shock from fluctuating water qualties. You must mean zoo's? Reseach zoo's as they spread fast and get a lil nasty. Newbicle.

I can't hate though, nice tank and I'm feelin the sea horses.

Are you going to glue the mushroom corals down to? lol, mushroom corals aka fungiids, should be placed on aragonite sand with room to move about and feed on detritus and microbes gathered from the sand and water. They require little current, but in most tanks their zooxanthellae need intense light from metal halides and VHO bulbs capable of delivering energy to the bottom. In a small or shallow aquaria, less light suffices, but funglids are then vulnerable to shock from fluctuating water qualties. You must mean zoo's? Reseach zoo's as they spread fast and get a lil nasty. Newbicle.

I can't hate though, nice tank and I'm feelin the sea horses.

No you don't glue the mushrooms to the rock wall you glue the small rock the mushroom is attached to the rock wall. Already started doing it and it looks great. I have a metal halide and low flow for the seahorses.Don't copy and paste some info to make you seem like you know what your talking about. I've been doing this for 5 years. Just stick to your DuDu brown tank.

Nice touch with the newbicle LMFAO.

adolfo thanks for the complement

BURN on DuDu brown! Seriously do you know anything... or at least enough to know your having diarrhea of the mouth and you are spewing incorrect facts you cut and paste? HAHAHA!!! LMAO...

Love the fact you have skidmarks on your glass!

Tank is looking great! I'm thinking about turning a 29 gallon into a seahorse tank and this is a great inspiration.

Wow Please don't bust my tread in front of all my fans.

LMFAO

Anyways to get this thread back to reef tanks and away from 8mile here are some pictures from my 55gallon

post-40678-1244956427_thumb.jpg

post-40678-1244956528_thumb.jpg

post-40678-1244956541_thumb.jpg

air_puffer, you are acting ridiculus. You tell people the wrong info then get pissed when someone says something about it. This is a REAL forum for REAL reefers, if your not willing to learn then you should get out of this forum and out of this hobby. This is not the first occasion that I have seen you be completly counter productive to this forum.

air_puffer, you are acting ridiculus. You tell people the wrong info then get pissed when someone says something about it. This is a REAL forum for REAL reefers, if your not willing to learn then you should get out of this forum and out of this hobby. This is not the first occasion that I have seen you be completly counter productive to this forum.

+1 Thank You

• 2 weeks later...

Archived