Innovative Marine Aquariums

1 gallon of sexinesss

THEEGRIMREEFER

THEEGRIMREEFER

Well ive done it. i went on and started a pico!! :lol: but when i bought this tank i pictured it bigger than what it actually is lol i reeaallllyyy overestimated the size! i believe it is a half gallon, measures about 7"x5". i will probably upgrade to a 2 1/2 gallon tank sold at my lfs for 10$. but i like this tank because it has the curved glass corners and the lfs ran out of the bigger version but oh well. anyways here she is i just started her up today.

Equipment:

- aquaclear 20

- Coraife mini aqualight 2x9 watt

FTS

DSC01930.jpg

well i hope this turns out well lol. what do you think topping off is going to look like with a half gallon? like 1/4 cup every 3 hours? haha im looking into a diy ato but i might as well get the 2.5 tank to go with it or just go crazy and buy the jbj. Any thoughts and advice?

----------------

EDIT 8/27/09

I calculated the dimensions of this tank into a tank calculator and it ended being a gallon! :D

Check out the updates below! (post #9)

I all most picked one of these up myself, just to see if I could get away with it. Any "frag" would look like a colony in a tank that size.

THEEGRIMREEFER

haha nanunanu i found the same tank! :lol:

woah patrick1234 thats one tiny tank! reminds me of a mini nanocube or something haha. is that homemade?

yeah psychosis, i feel like a frag would take up about 1/4th of the tank haha.

THEEGRIMREEFER
its the same tank nanu has the beta in

ohhh haha awesome i see it now. whats your maintenance like?

• 3 months later...
THEEGRIMREEFER

Time for an update! after a good while of cycling this tank i found time to start it up!

DSC02268.jpg

Heres my current equipment list

- 1 gallon curved glass tank

- JBJ picotope 9w light

- Current usa branded moonlight with 2 blue leds (lunar link?)

- Custom lexan top

- Aquaclear 20 (soon to be modded)

- No heater at the moment ( tank never gets under 79 degrees)

Corals

- Pom pom xenia

- various zoos/palys

- blue clove polyps

Fish/inverts

- Hectors goby

- 2 dwarf zebra hermits

- 1 regular hermit

- 1 cerith snail

Now for the pics!

FTS

DSC02259.jpg

The pyramid snail shell covered with coraline is there to help seed some coraline :lol: ^^^^

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

Zoo/Paly rock

DSC02260.jpg

PomPom Xenia

DSC02263.jpg

Dwarf Zebra Hermit

DSC02224.jpg

Hectors Goby

DSC02269.jpg

Stay tunned for more coral additions! i will be adding a nice chunk of gsp soon!

THEEGRIMREEFER
ummm what tank is this brand and name? i want one! is it glass?

It didnt have a brand when i bought it, i believe they are some cheap china brand. i just got it from an lfs for about 15 dollars. and yes its glass :D

THEEGRIMREEFER
Sweet looking pico! What are your temps in there? How often do you have to top off?

thanks! my temp swings from about 79-84 depending on room temp. i have to top off maybe about 1/2 a cup every 3 days since i have a lexan top.

blizzardscout2

I really like the look of the curved glass as well as your nice rock work. Nice glue job on the frags too, I need to learn to glue like that. ;) This will be a fun one to watch.

THEEGRIMREEFER
I really like the look of the curved glass as well as your nice rock work. Nice glue job on the frags too, I need to learn to glue like that. ;) This will be a fun one to watch.

Thanks man! i love the look of curved glass tanks as. i even have the 10 gallon version of this tank that will soon be set up. originally i was intending to set up the 3 gal version of this tank but they only had the 1 gal left. but the rimless+curved glass still talked me into it :wub: i tried my best with the glue i guess alot of playing with gluing stuff to frag plugs paid off! :P

THEEGRIMREEFER
man i cant find one of these anywere lol. i might need to get you to ship me one:)

Alright if i ever head down to that lfs again ill see if they still have em.

pismo_reefer

this is a really good start for a small tank.....

start making an ato now, and this project will last alot longer.

:D

THEEGRIMREEFER
this is a really good start for a small tank.....

start making an ato now, and this project will last alot longer.

:D

i was thinking of using a small bottle with the gravity ato method but i want something that will be more hidden and i dont think a float switch would look good in this tiny tank -_- any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
THEEGRIMREEFER

Just wanted to share my new little in invention! :lol: its a surface skimmer for an aquaclear 20! its made out of lexan and super glue. check it out!

DSC02399.jpg

DSC02401.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

works pretty good but i just need to widen the gaps for the overflow. its so skinny that no water gets through the teeth -_- but once that gets done its golden.

heres a quick fts with the surface skimmer

DSC02408.jpg

THEEGRIMREEFER
Won't all the evaporation take place in the overflow now? Seems like it will run low in no time.

not sure what you mean by evaporation taking place in overflow? :huh: im guessing you mean it increases evap? ive had a ghetto rigged version of this on for a while, except it was made out of one of those rubber tubing you would use for water changes but still had the same concept. evaporation was not changed, do remember i have a lexan top. If you are mentioning water level getting low, there are holes in the back for water to come in through the bottom and i wouldnt ever dare let the water level get that low in a 1 gallon.

With AIO tanks with overflows, the evaporation is shown in whatever the last chamber is (usually the one with the pump). It works the same as the last chamber in the sump; since all the chambers before that chamber are controlled with a strainer or something, their levels remain constant. It is only the one chamber that changes water volume.

By adding the overflow (still can't tell if it's vented to the rest of the tank as that would defeat the point) you have made it so all the evaporation is shown in that chamber.

Also, I noticed the temp probe in the tank. I put mine inside my HOB filter to hide it, maybe something to consider since real estate is prime in such a small tank, it's a shame to have it wasted on a probe.

THEEGRIMREEFER
With AIO tanks with overflows, the evaporation is shown in whatever the last chamber is (usually the one with the pump). It works the same as the last chamber in the sump; since all the chambers before that chamber are controlled with a strainer or something, their levels remain constant. It is only the one chamber that changes water volume.

This is not an AIO so that concept dosent apply exactly as you said. there are no chambers and an aquaclear filter is a HOB (well i guess you can consider the surface skimmer as a chamber). so evaporation level is shown through the displays water level. i created this just to skim the surface since there is no possible way for good surface agitation and is designed with the same concept as the fluval surface skimmer.

By adding the overflow (still can't tell if it's vented to the rest of the tank as that would defeat the point) you have made it so all the evaporation is shown in that chamber.

on the contrary you should check out the fluval surface skimmer here http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=12703 It skims the surface and as well takes water from under the surface. mine is vented, you just cant see it ;) if was vented too much then yeah it would defeat the purpose. it works great and keeps my surface sparkling clean. also realize the level of water in the overflow is controlled by the adjustable flow feature of an acuaclear filter. the higher i put the flow the lower the level will get vise versa. but i can see that in my one of the pics i may have it turned a little too high to where it looks like it may start to suck in air.

Also, I noticed the temp probe in the tank. I put mine inside my HOB filter to hide it, maybe something to consider since real estate is prime in such a small tank, it's a shame to have it wasted on a probe.

I know what you mean by the temp probe :slap: . just been lazy and dont want to make any holes in the filter yet :lol:

Archived