inTank Media Baskets

14 Gallons of pure addiction...

jdantunes

event.png

Welcome to my tank thread, hope everyone enjoy this hobby as much as I do. If you have any questions or advice that you could give me please post a note. Thanks!!! :D

Most recent FTS (08/02/11) at two years, three months and a week

IMG_0217.jpg

--------------ORIGINAL POST--------------

Hello everyone!!!

First, I'm very thankful of all the advice and info shared by all of the Nano-Reef members. ;) Love this community!

These last three weeks were amazing, watching and learning what's happening in my new tank.

Again these is my first attempt, and so far I feel confident of what I have accomplish so far... in three weeks, lol...

Today's readings were: pH 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, Calcium 380, Alkalinity 80, Phosphate 0, Temp 80-83 F

Well, here are some pics, feel free of posting what you think. Thanks! B)

Need aquascape 101, please!

IMG_1576.jpg

Can't do much with four pieces of rock...I think

IMG_1593.jpg

My Mush, it's so cool!

IMG_1591.jpg

Mixed Polyps...

IMG_1590.jpg

Tiny Xenia...

IMG_1594.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of people take their rocks and smash them to get smaller rocks, but you can't do that if there are corals attached to them.

Maybe it is just me, but I really like that first aquascape. It gave the appearance of a deeper more complex reef. I'm partial to original aquascaping however. Either way, both of them look great, I'm glad to see your reef is going well. I can only hope mine do the same when I set it up.

Maybe it is just me, but I really like that first aquascape. It gave the appearance of a deeper more complex reef.

I like the first aquascape, however I think the way you have it now is better.... The first had too much of the LR covered & buried in the sand... To really reap the benefits of the LR you should minimize the contact area with the sand...

I like the first aquascape, however I think the way you have it now is better.... The first had too much of the LR covered & buried in the sand... To really reap the benefits of the LR you should minimize the contact area with the sand...

Well, I decide to change things around, to give the scape different points of height to add coral with different requirement of light expectrum...

Maybe it is just me, but I really like that first aquascape. It gave the appearance of a deeper more complex reef. I'm partial to original aquascaping however. Either way, both of them look great, I'm glad to see your reef is going well. I can only hope mine do the same when I set it up.

Thanks, for your reply Montag. When do you plan to set your's up?

Impressive rock where did you get it?

Believe or not... in my LFS, paid about $7.99 a LB...do you think is crazy?

$8/lb might be a little high... but the rock does look really nice. I would expect more like $5-$6/lb.... Especially in FL ! I pay that in MI....

$8/lb might be a little high... but the rock does look really nice. I would expect more like $5-$6/lb.... Especially in FL ! I pay that in MI....

You are right on that one, I have three stores near, and both sell LR for about $5/lb. But they don't have much Coraline on them.

Looks great - nice color on the rocks. I agree that more rock in contact with the water the better but at the same time you have to make sure the rock is pushed down in the sand bed to avoid having any critters burrow beneath it and causing a cave in later.

I like the first one as well but the second one is going to give you more room, especially around the sides so you can clean the glass.

Your xenia looks likes it's doing good to. You might want to be careful about where you place it though. I learned my lesson the hard way - If you have one of those tanks that it does well in then it will grow and spread fast. Xenia walks and leaves behind little bits of itself to start new stalks. Mine always walked towards the light so keeping it high in the tank would minimize the spreading. Another option is to give it it's own little island surrounded by sand so it can't get to the rest of your rocks.

Looks awesome though... sweet shroom!

Thanks, for your reply Montag. When do you plan to set your's up?

June 1st is when I move into my new apartment, so June 2nd I will be filling the tank/mixing salt. Next day or so, LR, then sand, then the slow cycle process from there. I can't wait! :D

June 1st is when I move into my new apartment, so June 2nd I will be filling the tank/mixing salt. Next day or so, LR, then sand, then the slow cycle process from there. I can't wait! :D

All the luck with your reef, remember to keep a thread for us to follow... :happy:

nanoreef11

Your lucky you have been gifted with great coralline to start. My tank doesn't have an inch of coralline in it. I thought I was getting some light green tints but they seemed to dissapear.

Tank looks good. Any updates?

Jon

Tank looks sweet mate .... good progress.. and i really love the xenia i will have to get one for my tank some time in the next few weeks... Keep posting your updates ill be tracking it.. Check my tank out as well if you have the time.

Tank looks good. Any updates?

Jon

Hey Jon, Thanks for the advise! ;)

About updates, I really haven't change a thing in the tank.

Meanwhile, I'm been reading a lot to help me understand how to sustain my living coral, while my biological filter gets mature. After that, I will add some more coral and a couple of ocellaris clowns. I'll post pictures as soon as I add new things.

Thanks to everybody, in following my threat and comments are always welcome! B)

nanoreef11

Well the key word in this game is patience. And you are doing exactly that. Read, Read, and READ. You can never read enough trust me.

Well everyone....time for an update!

Been reading a lot about this addictive hobby, and it gets me more and more interested. Got the book "The Nano-Reef handbook" by Chris Brightwell, paid $7 at Borders Used Marketplace you can't beat that price. Very educational book, great pictures. I'll recommend this book to all fellow members.

Also I took advantage of the "box of chocolates" sale by the reef chicks a.k.a. biblesue. Great sale $25 for five frags...another bargain found.

I added all my new frags and they open within minutes. Feel so happy :)

New additions to my tank:

• Encrusting Gorgonia
  • Yuma
  • GSP
  • Evil Mel's Green Skirts
  • Aqua Polyp
  • Also, got a small frag of Trumpet coral from my LFS paid $12...

All readings are zeros across the board. Finally, raise my alkalinity to 9 and checked a stable 8.4 pH.

I stopped buying pre-mixed water from my LFS, because their mix has a salinity level of 1.021, kind of low for a reef aquarium, and I also have read several post by other members having problems with premixed water. So I went to Petco and bought "Red Sea Coral Pro Salt", a cheap power head, heater and a digital thermometer to start my own mix and bring my salinity up...

Here's my latest FTS (reworked my aquascape just a little...3 hours of brain cells consuming job :lol: )

IMG_1614.jpg

Encrusting Gorgonia under Actinic light

IMG_1608.jpg

As always, all comments are welcome and I would like to wish good luck to all new members through their journey to the underwater addiction. B)

nanoreef11

Looks like your additions are off to a good start. Good idea on mixing your saltwater. I mix my own, as you already know, and it has its benefits because you can adjust the salinity to accompany a reef tank.

Jon

Pico & Guac

tank look's great, I like the bio cube 14 good all around system for the price and it looks like your corals are liking it to.

Is your BioCube 14 running stock with no mods at all?

I have the same cube but i'm trying to determine the best setup and what to put in it and will mods really be necessary.

Is your BioCube 14 running stock with no mods at all?

I have the same cube but i'm trying to determine the best setup and what to put in it and will mods really be necessary.

My tank has been running stock since I started (over a month). But, now I'll start to add more livestock and I will start with modifications very soon, just to keep a good water quality.

Got Stevie T Media Rack, cause I'm going to stop using stock filters and taking out the bioballs. I'll be running filter floss, Chaeto & Chemi Pure Elite in the second chamber. I'm going to replace the stock pump with a Maxi Jet 900, to increase my flow rate a bit. After that, I'm going to get a frogspawn coral and about five or six rics. I'll see how it goes, and add a Koralia later.

Well, what I think is that you have to determine what do u want to keep in your tank. And depending of requirements the modification will come has needed.... Remember, you have limitations with a BC14, so please don't spend hundreds of dollars just to keep a certain coral you like, a better choice will be an upgrade. ;)

Thank you for checking my threat! I'll keep posting... B)

WOW, your off to a really nice start. Is the live rock in the center of the tank or does it go to the back wall?

Archived