Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Calvin415's Complete DIY 12ft Tank Summary

calvin415

I’ve decided to compile my build into a new thread with less talk, and more pictures so you don’t have to read through 58 pages. If you would like to read through all the trials and failures of this build click here.

Here’s where it all began, with an idea!!!

th_Basement2-1.jpg

Construction of the stand/wall begins as we work to finish the basement, please note final framing before dry wall is not show, there is more faming than shown:

DSCN3885.jpg

DSCN3896.jpg

DSCN3914.jpg

DSCN3920.jpg

DSCN3922.jpg

DSCN3921.jpg

Floors are installed and the acrylic cutting has started. Here are 8’ and 4’ pieces placed end to end.

DSCN3931.jpg

So, when a piece of acrylic just isn’t long enough, here is how to weld acrylic end to end:

First tape off the ends of the pieces… For those who need a visual:

th_DSCN3980.jpg

Cut off the excess:

th_DSCN3982.jpg

Clamp down one side:

DSCN3984.jpg

Note the gap for the WeldOn 42:

DSCN3983.jpg

42 Gun, just like a caulking gun, only about 125 times more expensive; The 42 cartridge has 2 tubes (2-part epoxy) combined into a single cartridge and the long tip is for mixing the 2-parts together before they come out.

DSCN3986.jpg

Place tape under the gap to keep the 2-part from running out:

DSCN3987.jpg

Applying the 42:

th_DSCN3988.jpg

Squeeze the pieces together:

th_DSCN3989.jpg

And un-tape one side to see how the weld turned out:

th_DSCN3990.jpg

Another angle:

DSCN3935.jpg

Tape removed:

DSCN3936.jpg

Glue is setup, it sets up completely clear:

DSCN3938.jpg

These drips are rock hard:

DSCN3940.jpg

From the side, before sanding out the seam:

DSCN3937.jpg

And just to show how strong WeldOn 42 is:

DSCN3944.jpg

How to sand acrylic, you can use this for scratch removal as well:

Initial sanding with 120 grit (for scratch removal you shouldn’t need to use anything as rough as 220):

DSCN3943.jpg

200 grit dry:

DSCN3946.jpg

220 wet:

DSCN3947.jpg

400 wet:

DSCN3950.jpg

DSCN3955.jpg

600 wet:

DSCN3956.jpg

What it looks like while sanding with water:

DSCN3958.jpg

Toweled dry:

DSCN3959.jpg

1500 wet:

DSCN3961.jpg

DSCN3963.jpg

1800 wet:

DSCN3964.jpg

DSCN3969.jpg

2400 wet:

DSCN3970.jpg

DSCN3971.jpg

3200 wet:

DSCN3972.jpg

DSCN3973.jpg

After 3200 is 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000 if you can get to 4000 you can probably buff out the haze without going higher. Here is what I buff with:

DSCN3975.jpg

½ buffed:

DSCN3977.jpg

Completely buffed:

DSCN3978.jpg

For those who really need to see how to sand here… Please note you change direction after every grit and sand until all previous sanding lines have been removed:

400 Grit:

th_DSCN3953.jpg

600 Grit:

th_DSCN3957.jpg

1500 Grit:

th_DSCN3962.jpg

1800 Grit:

th_DSCN3967.jpg

It wasn’t tough to cut, just tough to keep it against the fence for 12’

CIMG0951.jpg

CIMG0952.jpg

CIMG0954.jpg

Overflow is cut:

DSCN4275.jpg

Bent to shape:

DSCN4285.jpg

And welded to the end:

DSCN4288.jpg

Bulkheads fit just right:

DSCN4289.jpg

Starting to look like pieces of a tank:

DSCN4303.jpg

DSCN4302.jpg

How to cut the opening for the bracing, here are two methods:

The first method is without a template the second is with a template.

First, mark out your area...

DSCN4309.jpg

Next, drill out each corner with a 1-2" radius (2-4" diameter) hole saw, this step is important as the curve really strengthens the bracing. I've seen many tops crack in these corners when they are cut to a square or small radius.

DSCN4310.jpg

Next is to router from tangent to tangent along the edge of your access hole. First is clamp a straight edge alone the line to give your router a guide, or you can move it in a little for a quick rough cut and allow for an easy and clean final pass.

DSCN4335.jpg

Rough cut:

DSCN4333.jpg

Final Pass:

DSCN4334.jpg

Do this for all 4 sides:

DSCN4332.jpg

And you’re done:

DSCN4331.jpg

The second method is with a jig. First you have to build the jig, and this is done by using the same method above only with MDF or another suitable material. Then position the jig where you want the access hole.

DSCN4323.jpg

Drill a pilot hole large enough to drop your router bit into:

DSCN4324.jpg

DSCN4325.jpg

Here is the router bit I use... It's a flush trim bit, but with the bearing mounted on the bottom instead.

DSCN4329.jpg

I run an initial pass as a rough cut and then a final pass to remove the last of the material. This final pass reduces chipping and heat on the bit as there is less material to remove.

DSCN4330.jpg

and all done:

DSCN4331.jpg

Be warned... I vacuumed between each shot, as you, your router, your acrylic, and work space will be covered in this!

DSCN4337.jpg

And after 6 of these plus overflow opening the top was finished:

DSCN4340.jpg

DSCN4346.jpg

DSCN4343.jpg

Building the tank:

For pins I use 2 strands of copper wires, twisted together.

DSCN4352.jpg

DSCN4354.jpg

Clamp the end at a 90* angle, and ensure it's also 90* to the edge.

DSCN4349.jpg

DSCN4350.jpg

Space your material with the wire pins and apply your solvent (I use WeldOn 3; in our climate 4 evaporates too quickly). I'm using a 16g syringe in the pictures but I use a bottle for the other welds and would recommend a bottle over a syringe, as I don't like the inconsistency of the plunger. Sometimes it's easy to push; sometime it's like a rock.

DSCN4357.jpg

DSCN4359.jpg

Once it's soaked and pins are pulled I apply 2 clamps. If you are able to lay your setup on a flat surface where it is evenly supported you should not need any clamps. As this is hanging off the end of the stand the clamps are in place to support the tank from underneath. I don't tighten them much; just enough to keep them from falling and bring the bottom snug to the side panel.

DSCN4363.jpg

After 4 welds you should have something that looks like this, the pieces in the middle are to support the acrylic and prevent it from sagging:

DSCN4364.jpg

Top and bottom are applied using the same pin method and with shims and stryo to ensure a level surface during the bonding. I place pins ever 6-12 inches along with a shim and then shim until the pin is snug and won’t fall out. Apply your solvent (this distance took 2 of us to apply it all in approx 1:30) and pull the pins starting at same place you started the solvent. The larger your needle the fast the solvent will flow, the two of us used 16ga needles each.

DSCN4393.jpg

DSCN4392.jpg

DSCN4390.jpg

DSCN4388.jpg

Unfortunately the stand wasn’t perfectly flat so I ended up having to shim in a ¾” piece of ply to help support the tank evenly and then placed a ½” piece of foam over the ply.

DSCN4424.jpg

DSCN4426.jpg

Next was to drill the tank for the closed loop, drilling around all the supports under the tank:

CIMG1334.jpg

In the overflow, the hole on the left will feed the recir skimmer, the hole on the right is for excess water that doesn’t make it into the skimmer (this will ensure bubbles to not form in the skimmer feed) and the center hole is a pass through for the wires to the canopy.

CIMG1338.jpg

Here is what it looks like from underneath plumbed, the valve on the drain is to ensure I am able to keep constant pressure on the skimmer feed line without getting bubbles.

DSCN4490.jpg

DSCN4511.jpg

Due to all the layers, it was a chore to drill all the holes for the circulation.

CIMG1336.jpg

CIMG1337.jpg

1/2" OSB on bottom, 1/2" drywall, spray foam to level the tank, 3/4" oak ply, 1/2" foam, 1/2" acrylic. Again, each hole took a while...

CIMG1332.jpg

The Closed Loop is plumbed through the bottom of the tank:

DSCN4472.jpg

5 drains (one is now plugged leaving 4 drains) feed the bottom pipe which is (2") w/ 5 1" bushings and nips, the upper pipe is the return line (1.5") w/ 4 1" bushings and nips. The 2” pipe feeds the dart at the end and is returned through the 1.5” pipe which in turn feeds all the loc-lines.

CIMG1347.jpg

CIMG1345.jpg

Connections to and from the tank:

CIMG1440.jpg

Loc-lines installed:

DSCN4531.jpg

The tank will require 2 sumps plumbed together to allow me to place them under the tank. Each opening is only 36” wide so that is the limit on each sump. I installed styrofoam on top of the concrete followed by a shower plan liner (PVC Sheet) to catch any drips or leaks. Then put in the sumps:

DSCN4485.jpg

Plumbed together:

DSCN4532.jpg

ATO will be handled by this float valve and fed by the 15g water barrel on its side:

DSCN4533.jpg

Here is the assembly of one of the sumps

CIMG1339.jpg

CIMG1340.jpg

CIMG1341.jpg

CIMG1342.jpg

The ventilation will be handled by 3 of these PC fans:

DSCN4525.jpg

Installed here:

DSCN4515.jpg

Pulling air from the opposite end of the stand to help keep fresh air around the sump and control humidity. This vent also has the 3 IC660 ballast installed behind it, so the fresh air helps to keep them cool.

DSCN4507.jpg

DSCN4517.jpg

The return pipe was the hardest to solve for, but eventually solved by building a chase (which should have been built before the tank was installed, but turned out okay working around the tank).

DSCN4528.jpg

DSCN4530.jpg

Unfortunately it cuts off a lot of the end view:

DSCN4546.jpg

The piece in the center of each door frame work is attached with pocket screws which will allow me to remove it should I need to for sump/equipment work.

DSCN4540.jpg

DSCN4541.jpg

DSCN4542.jpg

Utility room is behind the louvered door keeping a 55g barrel of RODI water and my 15g water change barrel out of site:

DSCN4549.jpg

DSCN4539.jpg

FTS during filling from RO/DI

DSCN4550.jpg

DSCN4545.jpg

DSCN4535.jpg

And a test of the CL:

th_DSCN4571.jpg

And a diagram to show all the flow through the tank:

TankFlow.jpg

Again here's the two drains (the black pipe in the center is for wires to the pendant). The one on the left is entirely underwater to prevent bubbles from getting into the skimmer, the one on the right is a durso which is a back up to the skimmer drain.

DSCN4591.jpg

Another below shot:

DSCN4589.jpg

Misc Equipment feed from the return pump:

TankFlow2.jpg

TankFlow3.jpg

The canopy is under construction:

DSCN4661.jpg

DSCN4662.jpg

The 1" pipe is packed with wires, in-fact I had to move the connections into the pendant because the thicker wire I bought wouldn't fit! 32 wires in all!

DSCN4665.jpg

DSCN4666.jpg

Bulb Test:

DSCN4668.jpg

Gives you an idea of how it’s all wired, this times 3:

DSCN4669.jpg

DSCN4670.jpg

And all wired up:

DSCN4785.jpg

DSCN4803.jpg

DSCN4804.jpg

The system running:

DSCN4786.jpg

DSCN4787.jpg

DSCN4788.jpg

And some of the corals currently in the tank:

DSCN4761.jpg

DSCN4765.jpg

DSCN4766.jpg

DSCN4760.jpg

DSCN4759.jpg

DSCN4746.jpg

DSCN4743.jpg

DSCN4740.jpg

DSCN4738.jpg

And my Gigas:

DSCN4876.jpg

DSCN4877.jpg

Well, that concludes my 1 year summary, this project began just over 1 year ago, a lot has happened, but a lot more work is still to be done. :D Thanks everyone who has followed along on my build and for all your support. I hope in some way I was able to help you in your own reefing experience!

-Eric

Calvin, you are truly inspirational. I followed your build at rc for almost a year. You started it last summer, didn't you?

I deleted my comment that was in between your posts so that you could have them all un-interupted.

Thanks, foofooree, I did start the original thread just over 1 year ago, the first test weld joining end to end was done April 14th 2008. :D

i am thoroughly impressed and inspired by the build of this incredible tank. i cant wait to see how it matures and develops.

Wow... and to think I already read all 50 something pages on your other thread a few months ago... This was waaaaaay easier! Although there are a lot of things covered in more detail in the long thread.

Calvin, this tank is awesome! Keep it up and keep us updated.

I got a quick question for ya. After all the work joining the two pieces of acrylic can you see the seam and how much time did you put into that alone?

Thank you very much for the compliments everyone!

I got a quick question for ya. After all the work joining the two pieces of acrylic can you see the seam and how much time did you put into that alone?

Yes you can still see the seams, unfortunately I don't think there is a way to completely hide them. As you can see in even this pic, acrylic seams are impossible to hide, but they can still be transparent. When more people come over they don't even notice the seam until I point it out to them. It stands out to me as I did it and know where it is, but to most it's all 1 piece.

okinawa_churaumi_aquarium_04_45.jpg

The seam runs through the left whale sharks dorsal fin if you don't notice it...

Oh, and time it took? It took 48 hours to join the pieces and needed to do this 4 times (2 fronts, top, and bottom). Actual time spend joining is probably 1 hour to prep the pieces and apply the solvent (4 hours total) and then I spent about 6 hours over 2 days to sand and polish each piece (2 sides)... So that's 4 hours to weld, and another 24 hours of sanding and then assembly time... Was it a pain? Sure, sanding is never fun.

Was it worth it? 24 hours of work, plus leaving a seam, saving thousands and thousands over a custom cast piece of acrylic, you be the judge... I would still rather have 1 piece, but I can't justify spending thousands of bones for a 140 gallon tank.

Paleoreef103

This is awesome. Oh so awesome. Honestly I almost feel bad posting on this thread as I don't want to clutter the awesomeness.

Well it looks great! And i couldn't justify spending that much on a tank if you can do it yourself. I was just wondering because I've been working on getting scratches out of one of my customers tank and just got to thinking about your build.

Plus it would be sweet to build something like this but i have any where to build something so colossal.

calvin415
This tank is nuts I have to say the best diy tank ever

LOL! Thanks!

This is awesome. Oh so awesome. Honestly I almost feel bad posting on this thread as I don't want to clutter the awesomeness.

Oh don't worry, the pics are done; for now... The purpose of this was to document a lot of DIY steps all in one place... I'll be breaking up the different parts and some not show here into new topics for Chris, so feel free to ask any DIY questions you like in here. :D

Well it looks great! And i couldn't justify spending that much on a tank if you can do it yourself. I was just wondering because I've been working on getting scratches out of one of my customers tank and just got to thinking about your build.

Plus it would be sweet to build something like this but i have any where to build something so colossal.

Thanks, yeah price was my draw back too so I decided to build my own. :D Hopefully you are able to see how simple it is to re-surface acrylic, not easy, but simple. ;)

I am speechless.. truly amazing work! You make me want to empty my bank account !! If i had the room I would. Can't wait to see the rest of the build!

The Propagator

MUST ... SEE..... FTS FULL OF CORAL ... TO ... FEED MY ADDICTION TO YOUR TANK !!!

• 3 months later...

Eric-

This is amazing! I have been out of reefing for about a year now, and I had no idea you were undertaking such a task! You have done an amazing job, and you should be very proud of your work. I rarely check any reef sites anymore, but I am glad I have. Congrats on an amazing tank!

Email me sometime-- minibowmatt@gmail

Matt

• 3 months later...

Archived