Innovative Marine Aquariums

Xplicit's 40 Breeder "Piece of the Reef"

xplicit

Hello all, let me reintroduce myself. I joined nano-reef a couple of years ago as you can see. I’ve built a 20H tank and couldn’t keep it because I had to move, so I let my friend keep it for me. Now that I’m back and settling into a new home, I decided to build the tank that I always wanted. I spent the last year or so researching my equipment, planning, and buying the items. The tank will be drilled (pray for me that I don’t crack it). I would like to thank the members of nano-reef.com who have answered my questions and a special thanks to those members who arranged awesome group-buys. This is just a journal for me to look back on my progress a few years from now. Here is the list of equipment and stock that I currently have and will be putting into the 40 breeder.

Equipment

40 Gallon Breeder with stock stand

Acrylic Sump (about 27 gallons)

6 x36" Tek Light T5 Fixture

-ATI T5 39 Watt 36" Blue Plus x 3

-UV Lighting 36" 39W Super Actinic T5

-Korallen Zucht Fiji Purple 39 Watt T5 Lamp

-UV Lighting 36" 9W 10000K AquaSun T5

OCT-DNW-110 Octopus Recirculating Skimmer

Vortech MP20 (being broken-in on my 20H)

200W Heater

Thermometer

Mag Drive 7

Refractometer with calibrating fluid

Drilling and overflow kit from *glass-holes*.com

Livestock

40lb+ live rock

40lb live sand

Zoos

Lps

Sps (not into them yet but will love to someday)

Clam

Inverts

2 black and white misbarred clowns

6 chromis

(I will get into more detail later when I have it setup)

Ok, I've bored you guys enough so lets get started with some pictures!

The Tank

Here's a picture of the tank with nothing done to it yet.

tank1_1.jpg

I'm preping the tank to be drilled.

drillingprep.jpg

One hole down and 2 more to go.

holedrilled.jpg

All 3 holes drilled. I heard angels sing when I got it done.

3holesdrilled3.jpg

I did messed up on this last hole. Can any experts tell me that this will be ok? The drill bit went off course and it went a little bit off. I don't think it will give my any troubles but I would like a second opinion.

badhole.jpg

The Sump

Here are the pieces of acrylic unassembled.

arcylicpieces.jpg

All put together

acrylicassembled.jpg

The water test. I did find two leaks.I fixed it and now playing the waiting game and let it cure.

watertest.jpg

The last image for now, I promise. Tank painted and waiting to dry.

tankpainted.jpg

Thanks for looking guys. More update to come. I just now have to wait for my RO/DI unit and tek legs to come in. My light bulbs for the tek is on my way and should be here this week.

Nice build, I really love that stand.

Not sure about the mistake on cutting the hole, but I personally don't think it'll cause any trouble. I've never drilled a tank though.

Nice build, I really love that stand.

Not sure about the mistake on cutting the hole, but I personally don't think it'll cause any trouble. I've never drilled a tank though.

Thanks, its a stock vinyl stand. Drilling the holes were actually easier than I thought. It's just a bit difficult to get the hole started. As soon as I can afford a macro lens, my page will be as good as yours :)

Hole should be fine, did the same thing to my 40. Nice start.

What a relief and thanks. I think I'm going to put some silicone on it just to make sure.

I know this is gonna sound like a really stupid, noobish question, but I am hoping to use a Reef Octopus skimmer on my new build as well, and I have no idea what the purpose of the external black PVC pipe on the skimmer is.

Can you fill me in on that?

I got this skimmer 3rd hand, used and need to figure some of this stuff out on my own.

I know this is gonna sound like a really stupid, noobish question, but I am hoping to use a Reef Octopus skimmer on my new build as well, and I have no idea what the purpose of the external black PVC pipe on the skimmer is.

Can you fill me in on that?

I got this skimmer 3rd hand, used and need to figure some of this stuff out on my own.

Most likely its a pipe for the return. If you look at my skimmer, I left out like 3 pieces of pvc that I didn't need. I don't know what model yours is but thats what I think it is. You can go to coralvue.com and check on your model and look at the pictures. The website printed on the skimmer probably isn't right.

Thanks!

I went to that website on the skimmer and wasn't getting anywhere really, so I think you're right...

did you try all 3 sections of the skimmer?

did you try all 3 sections of the skimmer?

Cheez, I dunno.

I went to that site and now I'm even more confuzzled. :wacko:

I think the skimmer I have might be an older model than what they are showing.

It looks closest to DNWB200, but it only has one inlet as opposed to the three inlets shown for that model.

I guess I need to take a pic of what I have and post it to see if anyone can help me with it.

Thank-You all for the compliments.

You'll like that skimmer, I have the same one. What pump are you using to feed it?

I'm using a Rio 90 to feed it. Is it too much or to little? There was a lack of instructions that came with the skimmer. I still don't know where the 2 black 1 white o-rings go.

Anywho, I won't have an update until next week or later because my RO/DI unit hasn't come through yet.

Xavier613

Haha im glad i showed you that stand after all! seems like everyone loves it. Now get that damn thing filled

I got some updates today. :) I have 2 pieces of live rock in there to start cycling. I'm expecting a short cycle since all of my live rock comes from my established 20H. I'm loving the lights. It's giving a nice blue color that is not too blue.

Shot of the tek light

teklight.jpg

Mag rack from blackrockreef.com. Its awesome. Very nice looking and well designed. Will probably get one more.

magrack.jpg

Shot of the whole tank

wateredtank3.jpg

Archived