JBJ 3 Gallon Picotope

36W Dual Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixture

Modded AC70

Marineland Visi-Therm Stealth 25w heater

Coralife Digital Thermometer

Home-made ATO

Test/Misc Hardware;

Pre-mixed salt water & RO/DI from LFS

API Test kit(s); (Ph, Ammonium, Nitrate, Nitrite, Calcium)

Ocean Direct Hydrometer

(2) 7 gallon jugs

(2) 1 gallon jugs

LR/LS;

4.85lbs of Live Rock

3.5-4.5lbs of Ocean Direct™ Caribbean Live Sand

Livestock;

(1) Yellowtail Damsel

(2) Zoa frags

(2) Mushrooms

(1) Hairy Mushroom

Invertebrates;

(2) Blue-legged hermit crabs

(1) Red-legged hermit crab

(2) Cerith Snail

(2) Astrea Snail

Hitchhikers;

Asterina Sea Star(s)

Bristleworm(s)

--------------------------------------

Pre-Build Thread

Well, Hello again! My name is Josh and this is my *OFFICIAL* 3 gallon JBJ PIcotope build thread. (see link above for pre-build thread)

I finished taping off and spray painting the back of my pico (krylon) blue two nights ago, I really like the way the blue contrasts with coral and what not in other peoples tanks. I basically put the pico in the plastic bag it was originally in, taped it off, then took some small 5 gallon garbage bags and made them into a skirt and taped that off...

2wg82zd.jpg

So I brought in all my gear to the office today and setup my pico this morning. Here is where the pico is now residing (in the red box)

9vik3r.png

Here we go with the tank cleaned up, wiped down and ready to be started

2ivmni0.jpg

Added about 3.5-4.5lbs of Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand.

23mwuhl.jpg

Here is where things start to get hairy... I do have an AC70 that I plan on converting to a fuge. The problem is I didn't realize that the stock light (which I don't have the money to upgrade at this time) doesn't really fit on the tank nicely with the AC70... PSYS suggested I hang the stock light off the side and the AC70 on the back, but I'm a stickler for appearances (keep it clean) and wanted to keep it looking nice (especially since its at work). So, the AC70 will go on in a couple weeks when I have the money to upgrade the lighting. For now I figure the stock filter is fine, I don't plan on stocking it for a week or two anyways... So here is a pic with the tank setup before I started to add water. p.s. I can't wait to hide the heater... ugh.

se50ki.jpg

So for the time being I'm buying pre-mixed salt water from my LFS. I got a 7 gallon jug from Fleet Farm, the problem is its hard to be inconspicuous while carrying in a 7 gallon jug into the office... lol, so I tried to be as stealth as possible (since I never really asked anyone if this was 'okay' to have at my desk in the first place) and got 2 nalgene bottles and made 4 trips out to my car and back to get the pico over 2/3rd's full :ninja:

2n8rl1c.jpg

So for now, I'm just sitting around waiting for the water to clear up and warm up... Then I'm headed to my LFS later today hopefully and picking up some of their awesome live rock :) I'll get some practice taking water readings next week and hopefully the tank wont take more than a week or so to cycle :) then I can start adding stuff!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn my firewall at work!!!! I can't see the pics. :angry::rant:

I'm sure it looks sweet and I'll check it out again when I get home this evening. Dude, I can't believe you made trips back and forth from your car with a Nalgene bottle. hahaha. :lol: But you're right, little difficult to look stealthy with a 7-gal. jug full 'o saltwater under your arm.

Welcome and looks like your tank is going to a great start. yes the blue back ground makes corals pop out more of their colors. Nice office! haha

24q1vs8.jpg

Well, things are starting to look better (I'm so impatient, this is killing me!). I cleaned up some of the foam that was at the top, turned on the light (which sure helped the temp!) currently at 78.9F and climing! yay!!

Thanks for the comments guys!

Alright, I just went and picked up 4.85lbs of live rock from my LFS, what I really like about the live rock from this shop is you just pick and choose what they have in their existing display tanks instead of having a holding tank with just a bunch of rock. It was a little more expensive @ $8/lbs but I think it was worth it, it looks better than anything else I've seen at any of the other shops I've visited.

Back at my desk, ready to go in!

2d6prud.jpg

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L purple coralline algae!

10gzngg.jpg

I got it all in the tank, although one cool little piece broke in half :( Of course, I'm gonna re-aquascape when things clear up and I can look at it and think about how I'd like it to be! also, the tank is up to operating temp @ 80F and it's starting to clear up! whoo!

nb4028.jpg

Ok, I've already re-done some aquascaping... haha. Things have cleared up a ton also, hooray! I really don't recommend anyone keeping a pico on their desk at work... I haven't gotten much done so far today... :D

first *real* FTS shot...

DSC04278.png

Have a good weekend everyone, I'll make sure to update Monday ;)

Man, I bet you're itchin' to get back to your pico tomorrow morning... :P

oh dude! you believe it! I actually stopped by on Saturday to top if off and check everything out :) I'm gonna build a ATO system this week...

oh dude! you believe it! I actually stopped by on Saturday to top if off and check everything out :) I'm gonna build a ATO system this week...

Haha. That's cool you got to stop in and check on it... :)

Took my first readings this morning;

Salinity 1.022

pH 8.2

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Ammonia 0ppm

The tank has been up since Friday, those readings seem too good to be true? but the rock was cured and came from live tanks? :)

if i could have a tank at my job i would be psyched to go into work too!

*nod*

That seems awfully quick. But maybe not...? If the rock was fully cured, perhaps you won't have much of a cycle at all. I'd probably still work on getting your salinity up a bit. But otherwise, things look good.

I'd give it a couple more days and check the readings again just to be sure.

Any hitchhikers at all that you can see? tiny starfish? copepods? bristle worms?

I forgot my camera at home today :( So here is a crappy cell phone camera pic...

2u8gdj7.jpg

There really haven't been any hitch hikers that I've seen which I'm kinda bummed about :( but... I just looked and I see what I *think* is a tiny star fish, but its jammed in a crack so it only looks like it has 3 legs or something? if it was a tiny star fish I'd be pretty damn pumped about it!

Yeah, I'm gonna work on raising the salinity this week and just getting comfortable with water testing...

yeah...I got all my stuff from established tanks and it took a little more than a week before isaw ditrus starting to form in my tank...

that little guy that I thought/think was a star fish... well it's gone from where I saw it... it's so hard trying to get work done with this thing at my desk, I keep trying to find it now :P

Alright, so I've officially come to the conclusion that my Red Sea hydrometer is junk... I seem to get different readings a lot. Anyways, I took 3 readings very carefully today and came up with this;

Salinity: 1.023

I'm not going to play with my salinity anymore until I get a better hydrometer. (I was trying to raise it a little, but will wait)

Other readings as follows;

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm (seems like this rose just a little, or I'm just color blind *shrugs*)

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

geez, this 'waiting game' is too tough for me...

Archived