Lay's 14G BioCube!

14g Biocube

-MaxiJet 900

-Stock lights

-Koralina Nano

14.5 lbs of live rock

Chambers

1st-Carbon in media bag

2nd-Filter floss in tray (will be building Chaeto fuge soon!)

Between 2 and 3-ChemiPure Elite

3rd-Heater, MaxiJet 900

CUC

4 Nass Snails

4 Hermit Crabs

DSC01739.jpg

post-44030-1239593498_thumb.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just some better pics of my freshwater while I'm playing the waiting game with the biocube...

DSC01728.jpg

DSC01731.jpg

Alex and Ava Angelfish :happy:

DSC01730.jpg

Nice angels...

I remember a long time ago, when i was a kid...my father had a nice freshwater tank with Angels, kissing fish, some fancy guppies.

Bought about 5 lbs of live rock tonight...i know i need more but could only find a few pieces I liked...

how many more lbs would everyone recommend? About 9 or so?

I would do 9 or so some will say 1.5lbs per gal but can be bit much sometime.Checkout my old 14 gal biocube in sig for ideas.

I have about 16-17 lbs. in mine, and it's about right. Nine might be a little short, IMO. But others might have differing views.

Basically, it's a balancing act. More rock = more filtration = less open room in the tank. If you're stocking light, you can get away with 9 lbs.

I would do 9 or so some will say 1.5lbs per gal but can be bit much sometime.Checkout my old 14 gal biocube in sig for ideas.

Thanks! Iove the rock structure, especially the little cave. Cannot believe how addicting this hobby is :)

Another quick question: JW what chemicals/tests are a must to have when beginning a saltwater tank?

Walking_Target

I personally think that Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, GH/KH, PH and Phosphate are the core tests.

Others that are good to have on hand are Phosphate, Iodine/Iodide, Copper and Strontium. Last two (copper and strontium) i hear use of with larger reef tanks with lots of inverts, but not so much on smaller tanks.

Seems like a lot, but if you start with the core tests and get the others over the weeks while your tank/rock cycles than you should be good. (that's my plan, i'm also a reef newb)

lets see some tank shots with the rock =)

Here it is under the moonlights this morning. I know I need more A LOT more rock, just need to go look at a different pet store, compare prices and such, being the poor college kid I am..

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

Thanks so much for everyones help! I promise I'll build a great tank for everyone to look at :)

Looking good, be sure to add some powerheads and consider making the 2nd chamber a refugium. Other than that, sit back and wait for your cycle to complete. How often are you testing?

Looking good, be sure to add some powerheads and consider making the 2nd chamber a refugium. Other than that, sit back and wait for your cycle to complete. How often are you testing?

Thanks! Bought a Koralia Nano online today actually. Being that the tank is only 2 days old i havent really started doing tests yet and since I know I won't being adding anything to the tank for a few weeks.

Total Beginner! Soo should I be doing some tests? :happy:

The nano will help. I would suggest also replacing your return pump with a maxijet 900, you can use your old (stock) return pump to mix your saltwater. As for testing, I think now is a great time to start using them. Not only will you be able to monitor your cycle but you will also get in some practice before you have inhabitants.

For now, I would just be checking, specific gravity (with a refractometer), nitrite, nitrate, ph, and ammonia.

The nano will help. I would suggest also replacing your return pump with a maxijet 900, you can use your old (stock) return pump to mix your saltwater. As for testing, I think now is a great time to start using them. Not only will you be able to monitor your cycle but you will also get in some practice before you have inhabitants.

For now, I would just be checking, specific gravity (with a refractometer), nitrite, nitrate, ph, and ammonia.

Sounds great! Was looking into getting the Maxijet earlier too. Thanks for your help!

You are very welcome. What do you have in your back chambers? Have you considered setting up a mini-refugium in chamber 2? It is very easy to do, and much more beneficial than the bio-balls would be.

You are very welcome. What do you have in your back chambers? Have you considered setting up a mini-refugium in chamber 2? It is very easy to do, and much more beneficial than the bio-balls would be.

Yeah, just the bioballs right now. I've read enough to know that people aren't the biggest fans of them.

However, not real sure what a refugium is or how to do it...

There are a few ways to do it. Now would be a great time, because you can remove all of your bioballs at once with no ill-effects. Simply remove all of the bioballs. Get some chaetomorpha, either from you lfs or a fellow reefer. Add a nice wad of it into the 2nd chamber. Go to discountpumps dot com and get their 10 watt submersible light. Add the sub. light into the 2nd chamber. You can either have the light run 24 hours a day, or put it on the same timer as your blue night lights. I have mine set-up this way, running only when my daytime lights go out. It will be a great place for pods to reproduce. Also the chaeto will help to lower both phosphates and nitrates naturally.

I love this tank, and hopefully you will as well, even though I just bought it I'm already happy with what I have done so far. The koralia nano is the perfect size for this tank IMO and nice rockwork BTW. Looks like thats a good amount of rock, I have about 16lbs of rock in my tank. Just a suggestion, when you take pics of your tank, don't use the flash and put the camera somewhere stable, the moonlights would've shown much more.

Great lookin tank ;) ill take credit for getting u into this hobby. I leave town for a day and look at all you have done haha. Looks good! Wish my thread was as popular as yours :(

SUBIELOVER!!! DO YOU LOVE SUBARU'S??? CAUSE I DO

08STI

Hey there and welcome to nano-reef. I have installed the maxi-jet 900 and the hydor flo deflector. I have a step-by-step install on my thread located here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1785260

Hope this helps.

The amount of live rock in your tank should be plenty. I have 12 lbs of rock and my tank is doing well.

Keep us updated because I'll be following this young but strong build!

I have that same picture of an empty BC 14 with sand in it. Memmmories. Dude, you're gonna have a great time filling that thing with coral! Welcome to NR, its a great source of info and full of cool people.

Hey there and welcome to nano-reef. I have installed the maxi-jet 900 and the hydor flo deflector. I have a step-by-step install on my thread located here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1785260

Hope this helps.

The amount of live rock in your tank should be plenty. I have 12 lbs of rock and my tank is doing well.

Keep us updated because I'll be following this young but strong build!

Thanks so much! I'll def use it once the MaxiJet i ordered comes in :happy:

Archived