Coral Vue Hydros

Kate's Pico

kate2118

I decided to start a pico about a month ago after following El Fab :wub: over the past 5 months. I ordered a 3gal Picotope from Dr. Foster & Smith on Thursday night and it was due to arrive the following Tuesday. It's only Saturday morning, not even 2 days later and look what arrived at my front door!

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

After I filled it with water to leak test it i brought it downstairs into my garage so i could paint the back:

IMG_1974.jpg

I coated it a few times so it will be a little while before its dry enough to set everything up.

For those of you that don't follow my 25gal thread I suppose I should list my set-up:

3gal Picotope

AC70 Fuge Mod

50w Stealth Heater

Rio 50 Powerhead

StevieT's Underwater 10W Double Light

DIY Auto Top-Off

Digital Thermometer

Nimble Super

5 lb. CaribSea Live Sand

I'm off to the LFS to get some live rock... I'll post more pics when I get back! B)

hi kate...exciting, congrats! i would like to get one of these at some point so i will be following along with great interest :) i too get my inspiration from el fab!

Nice start Kate! I really like the 25 gallon as well. What are your stocking plans?

My plans include LPS (GSP, Rics, Shrooms, Zoos, Blue Cloves, etc.) and a Yellow Clown Goby. This may change down the road but for now that's my plan!

I'm off to aquascape! Pics to follow!

So here's my tank's new home:

IMG_1976.jpg

And here's what's going in the tank:

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

I picked up a little over 5 lbs. of live rock at my LFS. After fiddling with it for awhile this is what I came up with:

IMG_1979.jpg

From the Top:

IMG_1980.jpg

I left a nice sized open sand bed because i know i want to fill it with Rics and what not...

Then I added the sand:

IMG_1981.jpg

And just for kicks I threw the light on there for now:

IMG_1982.jpg

It will take a few hours to clear up. I'll post more photos when there's actually something to see. :P

addicted2reefer

Awesome job Kate. Another beautiful PICO is born. Thats cooler than a polar bears toenails...

Welcome to the best addiction.

And that is a hot bonsai tree ! !

Nice job Kate. Make sure you keep us updated with pics. I like that set-up and have actually considered getting one myself. Have fun stocking it.

Bruce

It's getting there...

IMG_1986.jpg

I'm hoping to get a jump start on my cycle. In addition to the fully cured live rock and the live sand, i filled the tank with water from my 90g that's been up for 1 1/2 yrs. I'll start testing tomorrow to see where I'm at.

There won't be much to see over the next couple of weeks so I probably won't post any updates until I actually have one. As soon as my cycle ends I'll fill you all in with my next move.

Thanks for following along! Stay tuned! B)

addicted2reefer
man.... i'm so tempted to put stuff in this thing. I MUST RESIST!

HAHAA yes we all felt that before. patience remember good things come to those that wait. its tempting , I am in the same spot as you, waiting to make sure water is top of the line before adding anything.

must be why someone made this site, to keep your mind off it and help you resist...

Your pico is looking great !

Do you know how long the rock was cured for?

As long as you didn't leave the rock out of water for too long you should be good to start adding things really soon. Of course there will be some adjustments needed to your bio-load so you may or may not see a small peak in ammonia, but honestly you're probably good to go... Since your rock was cured your tank won't "cycle" in a traditional sense since the bacteria are already there... You just have to wait for the bacteria to grow/die off to adjust to your current bio-load.

Add a couple snails or something to slowly increase the bio-load. Then just be really careful to add things slowly maybe 1 or 2 things per week at most. Looks good I hope you have a lot of success with it!

i know i won't see any ammonia with this set-up. i went through the same thing with my 25g. i still want to wait at least a week or two before i add anything. i grabbed a small feather duster that was in my 90g and threw him in. i might pick up a CUC this weekend depending on what they have in stock.

i know that everyone always talks about the evap on such small tanks but i never realized how much it would be. i haven't worked out all the details of my ATO so i have to top off my hand. i should probably get that figured out this weekend... i'll keep you posted!

IMG_2035.jpg

Ok guys, here we go!

I just scored an awesome deal on a 12" Current USA 36W Dual Satellite Fixture. :lol:

To celebrate i ordered an awesome Yuma and some Blue Cloves! omgomgomg

I also ordered some nassarius snails since my LFS doesn't carry them regularly.

Should be here Monday or Tuesday... I'll post pics!

eddiecorrea

Very cool. Looks great.

I love the Mac in the first pic lol. :D Im a Mac guy.

Archived