Pod Your Reef

Seahorsejl's Not-So-Nano 75 Gallon Tank

seahorsejl

I used to have a 24 gallon AquaPod, but for x-mas 2008 I decided to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank.

I broke down the 24g Aquapod and moved everything to the new 75g. Here are the specs:

- 75g traditional tank, with glass hoods.

- 300W Coralife Metal Halide fixture (two 150W 20,000K bulbs)

- about 60 lbs "new" baserock and live rock, plus maybe 10-15 lbs from the old tank

- Two Koralia 3, two Koralia 1 and one Koralia nano (because I had it laying around)

- HOB refugium with built in skimmer.

- HOB Bak-Pak 2R+ skimmer.

- Lots-o-sand ... planned ahead for a jawfish

The tank has been set up since x-mas, and just got past the ugly stage of brown algae. The clean-up crew is hard at work eliminating all of it.

Here are the current inhabitants.

On the stocking side for fish:

- 1 Yellow Watchman Goby

- 2 Naked Clownfish

- 3 Talbot's Damselfish

- 2 Rusty Gobies

- 1 Yellowhead jawfish

- 1 Scopas Tang

- 1 Sixline Wrasse

Inverts:

- 2 Peppermint Shrimp

- 1 Red-Foot Conch

- 1 Red Thorny Starfish

- 1 Sand sifting starfish

- 1 Tuxedo Urchin

- 2 Pencil Urchins

- Assortment of snails and hermits

Corals:

- GSP (relegated to "exile" island... you will see it below pictures)

- Toadstool leathers corals (moth colony + offspring)

- Green candy cane

- Green frogspawn

- Bunch of zoa's

- Bunch of ricordias

- Tongue coral

- Gorgonians

- Red Cynaria

- Kenya Tree

- Probably more I am forgetting

Enough chatter for now. On with the pictures. These are from a few months back. Cleaned the tank last night, so will try to get some up-to-date pictures this weekend.

The full setup:

IMG_0800.JPG

Kinda older FTS (exile island is on the right):

IMG_0798.JPG

Scopas Tang:

IMG_0757.JPG

One of the naked clowns:

IMG_0604.JPG

More pictures to come.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! good work

Thanks, it looks better (IMO) now than in those pictures... they are a few months old. But it gives you an idea of the layout of the tank. I really was aiming for a more open tank this time. I almost didn't put exile island in there, as I love a lot of corals that sit int he sand (like plates). But I wanted a spot to eventually put an anemone, and have it relegated away from other corals.

New picture time. You will have to excuse the poor quality of the pictures .. I was in a rush Friday to take them. I really need to get back into taking good tank pictures... I used to be able to, but I seem to have lost my touch.

Frogspawn:

IMG_1027.JPG

Zoa's (will post a picture later of what size they were when I first got them):

IMG_1037.JPG

Jawfish in his home:

IMG_1061.JPG

Scopas tang in front of toadstool leather and 3 of it's offspring:

IMG_1085.JPG

Left side of the tank:

IMG_1095.JPG

Right side of the tank:

IMG_1101.JPG

Full tank shot (complete with crooked tripod and camera flash):

IMG_1014.JPG

Like I said before it looks awesome!!! ;)

Thanks! It looks better than the picture portray :)

So now that I have the larger tank, I thought I would show some growth pictures of corals I had in the 24 gallon, and where they are now.

First up is the green frogspawn. When I first got it:

IMG_4694_med.jpg

Now:

IMG_1027.JPG

Brown frogspawn:

IMG_4679_med.jpg

In September of last year:

IMG_7850_med.jpg

It unfortunately did not make the transition to the 75 gallon tank. It never looked good after the move, and eventually wither away :( I am suspecting maybe it was too much light for it (went from PC to MH).

Zoas I got after the 75 was set up:

IMG_0714.JPG

Now:

IMG_1037.JPG

I will post more later. My candy canes have been growing a lot since putting then under the MH.

Wow, how long has the frogspawn been in there

Almost 2 years to the day. I got it with a big SeaCrop order I did in April 2007 (info in my 24g page).

It is funny, as the green frogspawn rarely eats mysis when I feed the tank. The brown frogspawn was a pig though.

Another growth set.

Toadstool leather I got from a LFS for $5 back in 2006:

IMG_3350.jpg

It grew:

IMG_4746_med.jpg

It actually has kinda stopped growing in diameter, and has been dropping pieces of itself off. So far it has dropped over 5 pieces, which I have mounted to rocks. These have grown into completely new toadstools. I have traded two into the LFS, and I have two more ready to take in (see picture from a few posts back).

New acquisitions yesterday: pistol shrimp and green bubble tip anemone. No pics yet, but still heard the clicking this morning. The anemone went into hiding inside exile island last night. Won't see when he pops out till late tonight.

I plan on getting a goby to go with the shrimp, but want the shrimp to get settled in first.

Sad day yesterday. I came home and the smaller of my two naked clownfish was missing. After an extensive search (in tank, around the filters/powerheads/roomba dust bin), nothing. :tears:

I think the clean up crew must have cleaned him up. It's odd too, as I saw the fish yesterday morning swimming just fine before heading to work.

Well, things must be going good in the 75g tank, as my three Talbot Damsels spawned over the weekend!

Now, I am not sure which are males and which are females. I have three, and one has always lived in a cave in the live rock. This weekend, that one got a bluish/grey patch on the top base of his tail (I am suspecting this is the female) , and starting courtship dances with one of the others. They would then both zip into the cave (which up to this point, she never allowed anyone else in the cave). Then it would repeat with the other damsel.

Now, the other two damsels (the supposed males) have taken to digging holes in the sand at opposite ends of the tank.

I took a flashlight and can see eggs lining the walls in the cave, and the (supposed) female in there fanning them.

I don't expect the offspring to survive, as I don't have the time to try and raise them outside the big tank. But cool none-the-less.

Ok, not only did I go to Aquadome (a LFS) yesterday and pick up some new stuff, but I even took pictures last night! Picture taking quality is still a little shotty, just haven't had the time to spend quality time fiddling with the settings. I didn't even bother to pull out the tripod.

I picked up a Flame Angelfish, Blue Sided Wrasse, Orange Bar Shrimp Goby, and an Orange Brain Coral.

The stupid Talbot Damsels think they own the whole tank, so they gave the angel and wrasse some initial guff. But the angel would have none of it and fought back. After a couple hours the damsels were leaving the angel alone and he was out eating some of the pellet food off the bottom I fed earlier to distract the fish.

And without further ado, here are the pictures. You can click them for larger versions.

Jawfish in his cave:

IMG_1155.JPG

New organ brain near my existing cynaria (bought it at a cheap price as a recovery coral):

IMG_1182.JPG

Sun Coral:

IMG_1193.JPG

One of the pencil urchins:

IMG_1195.JPG

Another of the jawfish:

IMG_1208.JPG

Organ bar goby, hope he finds my pistol:

IMG_1213.JPG

Yet another of the jawfish (can you tell I like him :) ):

IMG_1215.JPG

Emerald crab hiding in one of the candy canes:

IMG_1224.JPG

Bad picture of some of my zoa's:

IMG_1227.JPG

Little bit better picture of some zoa's:

IMG_1230.JPG

Candy cane near the top of the tank splitting like crazy:

IMG_1232.JPG

Pulsing xenia:

IMG_1233.JPG

One shot of the flame angel:

IMG_1241.JPG

Another of the flame:

IMG_1242.JPG

Some zoa's with orange ball anemones in them:

IMG_1243.JPG

Best picture I could get of the new wrasse... he was staying in a corner of the tank yesterday:

IMG_1275.JPG

Left side of the tank (picture came out kinda dark):

IMG_1391.JPG

Right side of the tank:

IMG_1396.JPG

Full tank shot:

IMG_1401.JPG

I love my scopas. He has become one of my favorite fish. Lots of personality.

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

Is yours really small? It looks like his fins have been nipped at.

I love my scopas. He has become one of my favorite fish. Lots of personality.

Is yours really small? It looks like his fins have been nipped at.

Wow.. yours is a lot more yellow than mine.

I think those pictures I have up are when I originally got him. The stupid talbot damsels probably were harassing him a bit. Now they leave him alone, and he cruises through the tank.

Nice tank you have there... makes me want jawfish. :)

Thanks.. now I just need to get my photo taking abilities to your level :happy:

I have always loved having a jawfish... had one in my old nano, and definitely planned this tank for one. I will have to get a picture of when he closes his cave up at night. He drags a shell across the entrance :lol:

It does look like my tank now :lol:

I think it looks great! :happy:

Thanks! I made the separate island, "exile" island, for two reasons. I wanted to keep the GSP from invading the whole tank, and I wanted a spot for an anemone so it would not sting my "good" corals" (I have a green bubble tip on the island, but it decided to come out on the back of the island <_< ).

Wow.. yours is a lot more yellow than mine.

I think those pictures I have up are when I originally got him. The stupid talbot damsels probably were harassing him a bit. Now they leave him alone, and he cruises through the tank.

It probably the lights. He is in my prop tank that is about 10k.

It probably the lights. He is in my prop tank that is about 10k.

Ah, could be... my pics are under a 20k light.

Success!! I woke up this morning to find my orange barred shrimp goby paired up with my red striped pistol shrimp! The shrimp was busy making an entrance to a cave, luckily towards for the front of the tank :)

Archived