Pod Your Reef

What type of macroalgae is this?

Nanoholic510

Nanoholic510

Can anyone please help me identify this algae? It has long vines and is starting to slowly take over my live rock. Will a lawnmower blenny eat this? I try to pull it off the rock but it's brittle and little pieces remain on the rock. Thanks in advance!

post-31517-1238646699_thumb.jpg

Nanoholic510
Hard to say... Can we get a better pic?

Thanks, guys! I took that picture with my cell phone camera. I'll take a better one when I get home tonight and post it. Any ideas on what could naturally eat/attack it? Thanks again!

johnmaloney

caulerpa is pretty easy to remove. the species will help a bit...may razor or grape caulerpa from the height, but I am just guessing.

Nanoholic510

Here are the promised pics. The leaves aren't feathery, but flat and ribbonlike, and about half an inch long.

post-31517-1238727716_thumb.jpg

post-31517-1238727730_thumb.jpg

johnmaloney

caulerpa brachypus spelling might be off. Looks like prolifera but smaller with a very delicate runner system

this species is not illegal in Cali, but keep it that way with proper disposal.

revaltion131

It's definitly caulerpa, but I'm fence-sitting between prolifera and brachypus. I have something similar in my 65 and can't seem to get rid of it. Like others have said, when you remove it, don't flush it, just toss it out in the trash.

Archived