ReefCleaners.org

5.5 gallon pico log

AquaStud

After looking at various other 5.5 gallon picos on here, Ive decided to do one myself since I have budget and space limitations at school. The acrylic is getting cut on monday for the tank and I've already ordered a maxi-jet 400 and Coralife 2x18W fixture from drsfostersmith.com which should arrive sometime this week. I will be posting pics this week on the building of the tank, as well as a stock list and progress. I know that I want at least some polps and mushrooms for starters, and a trio of sexy shrimp. These little guys look so cool, I hope they will work out good in the tank... :happy:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eddiecorrea

:welcome: to NR!

Good luck with the tank. Although i think you should have ordered the Current USA 18" Nova Extreme. The Dual Satellite is still a good light but much more expensive.

****Edit*** I think you mean the Current Dual Satellite. Still more expensive but a good light.

Welcome to nanoreef, that sounds like a good plan. The sexies are awesome, youll have a lot of fun watching them. Mushrooms and zoas will be good coral for that light.

Well, I went and picked up the acrylic at Ace yesterday and the guy cut my cross section piece for my built in fuge short... but Ive been thinking and im playing with the idea of putting the piece in the corner now to make a sort of triangular shaped fuge out of one of the corners. I dont think I will have a divider in the fuge, just pack it with cheato and have the maxijet 400 pump the water back out into the main part of the tank. I will be posting some pics tomorrow of the tank and my plan.

Gerber, Ive been looking at your thread and all I can say is sweet job on the tank!

Well, I went and picked up the acrylic at Ace yesterday and the guy cut my cross section piece for my built in fuge short... but Ive been thinking and im playing with the idea of putting the piece in the corner now to make a sort of triangular shaped fuge out of one of the corners. I dont think I will have a divider in the fuge, just pack it with cheato and have the maxijet 400 pump the water back out into the main part of the tank. I will be posting some pics tomorrow of the tank and my plan.

Gerber, Ive been looking at your thread and all I can say is sweet job on the tank!

Sounds good man cant wait to see some pics.

Thanks bro I appreciate it.

Here are the pics of what I got so far...

100_0451.jpg

Equipment- my lights and pump were delivered to my house, will pick up on friday.

100_0455.jpg

My cross piece (with the teeth in it) was cut a quarter inch too short so I think Im going to avoid this setup and....

100_0454.jpg

I think Im going to try to make a corner fuge without a divider. Ill pack this corner full of cheato and place the pumb more towards the bottom of the fuge. Hopefully the pump fits! It's similar to Sandeeps breeder fuge idea.....

What do you guys think?

Well I've been thinking about a stock list so here it goes...

Sexy Shrimp x 3

Nassarius Snail x 5

Blue Leg Hermits x 2

Pair of clown gobies? I've heard of people keeping one or two gobies in a 5 gallon tank, but was wonderin if you guys think this would be ok. They said they would hold the pair for me for a few weeks.

Corals

Mushrooms

Polyps

Pulsing Xenia

Frogspawn Coral

Hammer Coral

Bubble Coral

Other suggestions?

Thats sounds solid to me, a pair of clown gobies will do just fine in there. As for the coral I would skip the bubble coral and pick one or the other for the frogspawn and hammer. Everything else sounds good, you may want to look into ricordea as well, they are very cool and hardy.

Ok, thanks for the info. All I ever really kept before was mushrooms and polyps, so I dont know about the majority of those other corals, but I will research them more. Ricordas do look pretty slick though.

Here are some updated pics of the project... acrylic pieces glued in place and lights on... will be adding h2o tomorrow.

100_0465.jpg

100_0470.jpg

100_0463.jpg

:D

He thinks its pretty slick...the only thing im worried about is the heat from the light. There are no fans on this model and after leaving it on for a while the whole thing gets really hot... I might have to put a PC fan on it or something..

My girlfriends bird of paradise plant she got in Hawaii turned its leaves right towards the light too!

He thinks its pretty slick...the only thing im worried about is the heat from the light. There are no fans on this model and after leaving it on for a while the whole thing gets really hot... I might have to put a PC fan on it or something..

My girlfriends bird of paradise plant she got in Hawaii turned its leaves right towards the light too!

I love that plant, my university had loads off them growing all around the campus.

Today I went to Pet World and got 5 lbs of really nice LR. It has tons of purple and some pink coraline algea on it. I found one very porous piece with little caves all over it for my pair of yellow clown gobies that are on hold for me at another fish store. I'll be posting some pics later on tonight or tomorrow after the dust settles from the addition of live sand this morning.

umm... they will be have to be on hold for a month you know... dont forget about the cycle...

looks good though

yeah i know.... the old guy at the fish store doesnt care, he'd probably hold them for a year for me... Ive been doing business with him for years from when I had my 29g reef. I appreciate you watching out for the fish though!

Here are some pics from this morning. The water is still verty cloudy and I think its due to the flow rate of the powerhead im currently using, which is an aqua-tech 170. I cut the impellers down a bit so now its not jetting out water at the speed of sound into the display part of the tank, and the sand isnt being kicked up. I'll probably add some filterfloss today to clear the water up a bit.

100_0494.jpg

View of tank on my desk

100_0495.jpg

Culpera being used for filtration until cheato arrives.

100_0493.jpg

100_0476.jpg

Overflow is working perfectly

Thanks for following along, I'll keep on posting updates!

I checked on the tank quick before heading over to my campus job (pretty much two hours well spent here on NR) and its looking a lot less cloudy since I lowered my flow rate. I think im gonna have to break one of my rocks into a few smaller pieces though in order to do some serious aquascaping. I got three really nice pieces in there but they just look jumbled as of now.

That looks like Grape Caulerpa in the fuge.. I know you said it's only temporary, but you might be better off without it unless you have light on your fuge 24/7 - it reproduces two ways, asexual and sexual, and when it goes sexual it releases acids.

I'm excited to see how this is coming, I'm planning on setting up almost the exact same thing!!

I have that coralife fixture, and you can buy legs that fit it. It will stand perfectly on the 5.5, about 2.5 inches above the tank.

That looks like Grape Caulerpa in the fuge.. I know you said it's only temporary, but you might be better off without it unless you have light on your fuge 24/7 - it reproduces two ways, asexual and sexual, and when it goes sexual it releases acids.

I'm excited to see how this is coming, I'm planning on setting up almost the exact same thing!!

I have that coralife fixture, and you can buy legs that fit it. It will stand perfectly on the 5.5, about 2.5 inches above the tank.

Thanks, Im planning on getting rid of it today or tomorrow.

Archived