Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishboy's 12 Gallon Aquapod

fishboy87

Hi everybody. I'm new here and some may have heard of me from plantedtank.net over in the world of freshwater aquariums. Unfortunately, I have no pictures to show to open up this thread. I've been a lurker for about half of a year and my questions began to build up so I thought I'd finally join. :) I feel I should at least lead off with some parameters and whatnot.

specs:

---12 Gallon Aquapod

---No adjustments to light or addition to flow (koralia and MH in the process of coming

---filter chamber contains filter sponge, bio balls, and filter floss( I want to try to mod a fission nano skimmer to go into an empty chamber I had)

stock:

18 lbs live rock.

live sand (unknown quantity)

1 clownfish

1 fire shrimp

1 hermit crab

30+ turban snails after one laid eggs

5 nassarius snails

2 bumble bee snails

torch coral

rics and other mushrooms

small sinularia

near dead zoa colony that I brought up to the light that seems to have ceased in the die-off

small toadstool coral

-I'm gonna go out there and say that I do know the sinularia and toadstool can get huge and I intend to start fragging by next week to keep them in proper size. I also know of the torch's sweeper tentacles but I have the flow going so the tentacles will lead away from the other corals. I also plan on getting some more rics and zoas to make some gardens of each. I would love to upgrade the lighting but have no $ to shell out on it so the torch will probably be the most 'difficult' coral I will be keeping in here.

params:

pH 8.3

nitrate <10

nitrite 0

amm. 0

calcium 500+ (haven't dosed in a while to lower it)

I feed on a strict schedule of flakes/pellets-kent phytoplex-flakes/pellets- oyster feast (aka oyster ovaries and eggs ;) ) and so on

I dose calcium weekly (stopped to lower it), trace elements twice weekly, and iodide weekly for the shrimp who seems to appreciate it by molting biweekly

I'll try to have pics up by Wed or next weekend. Just thought I'd sort of drop by and introduce myself.

Welcome I'm from Long Island also. I would take out the spnge and bio balls. Also don't dose anything unless your are testing for it. And try to bring that nitrate down

Thanks again ;)

I was thinking about possibly adding a red scooter blenny. I have a bunch of copepods and such he could chow down on and would feed him some live stuffs and such if I were ever to run out. I was also thinking about adding some bright orange zoas if I will be able to regrow my old colony that died back presumably from low light. The answer to the zoa one will prob need pics but I am especially curious about adding a second fish to a tank this small. Opinions would be great. Oh the tank has been established since Jan 08 so cycling isn't a question :)

So I just fragged part of the toadstool and the sinularia. My LFS looks like they might have some fire and ice zoas (i think) and I was hoping to trade in the leathers for the zoas by next week or the week after. Everybody knows me there so I get some benefits thrown my way. I'm hoping to get a garden of them going soon. I recently got a small frag colony for $25 and I recently found a stray eagle eye or watermelon so I'm hoping that will split. Pictures hopefully by tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a couple zoa colonies/frags and I'm pretty much done with stocking as far as corals goes. This probably doesn't mean anything w/out pics so I'll have 'em up by tomorrow.

im not 100% sure but i think dosing iodide shortens the life span of shrimp because they prematurely molt. im not sure so maybe somebody can confirm. i will try to get a photocopy of the article from the magazine i saw it in.

thanks clavius!

juicestain- that is pretty interesting. My fire shrimp's shell has been getting darker recently even though he/she hasn't shown any behavior differential. I could probably cut dosing in half in hopes of more healthy molting intervals.

Well I keep forgetting to get pics and due to the fact its 2 in the am, i won't have any now. I am going to look for a yasha goby for this tank tomorrow so hopefully i'll get some pics then. Sorry for my forgetfullness :slap:

• 5 weeks later...

can't upload any more picctures as I have difficulty getting the pictures to photobucket from an email

EDIT: the zoanthids in the center of the FTS I just got half hour ago for a steal. They are blue with a bright green (neonish) mouth. It was 3 of those rocks for $46! They are extremely bright colored aswell.

zoanthids were positively identified as steel blue zoanthids. . .

it's not letting me copy or paste so you'd have to google a good picture yourself

subielover

Why are you trying to remove bristleworms? They are beneficial, if you were not aware. Also I saw your Ca. was listed as 500, curious as to what your Alk. is?

I don't have a test for alk. I know bristle worms can be beneficial when their numbers are few. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard if their numbers become too plentiful, they can pick away at soft corals. I like to keep their visible numbers below 5. I'm also curious if any of you have any of these types of zoanthids as their colors are really cool and I can picture a large colony would be amazing. They are also African zoas. Is Africa where most zoanthids are in the wild?

Long awaited pictures!!!!!!! :D

MVC-009F.jpg

yasha goby (Yoshi) hiding place highlighted w/ flashlight

MVC-008F.jpg

clownfish (Marlin)- there was a nemo but marlin killed him 'irony I know'

MVC-006F.jpg

sinularia leather closed up after water change

MVC-005F.jpg

pocillipora damicornis hoisted up near the light

MVC-004F.jpg

pistol shrimp hiding place/burrow (the shrimp is not in this picture)

MVC-003F.jpg

frogspawn/torch (it was sold to me as a torch but looks like a frogspawn)- this was my first ever coral

MVC-002F.jpg

Marlin in front of green star polyps (small frag)

MVC-001F.jpg

zoanthids after putting them in the tank (they are partially closed up in the pic but are completely open now)

fish.jpg

FTS again (same pic as the first FTS)

Comments, critiques, and opinions are always welcome! :)

yeah . . . once I get a 150watt metal halide, I will probably replace the leathers with sps and put a monti cap in the bottom right corner on the ledge below the torch. With that much lighting, I'm doing a really slow acclimation as I don't want the torch to bleach. I want the gsp to cover the bottom left. For the branching sps, I would want a pearlberry and a green polyp birdsnest and put the pocillopra on the sand bed. I'd also want a clam to go where the toadstool leather frag is. Any opinions on my coral choise for the future.

I also want alot of zoa colonies to cover the open rock. I want the steel blues to cover most of the center so only time and $ will tell.

Archived